Phuket Immigration overwhelmed as foreigners race to extend stay in Thailand

snoop1130

I went last Tuesday afternoon to do a 90 day report and get a residence certificate to renew my driving licence.

The 90 day was no problem; two cars in front of me and done in less than ten minutes after arrival. I didn't bother stopping for the residence cxertificate as there were so many people there, including the longest queue at the photocopy window I've ever seen. Cars were parked on both sides of the road outside and around the corner.

I'll wait until next month. Good luck to all those looking for an extension. Get there early is all I can say.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

The confusing part as far as I am concerned is one minute the authorities are crying because there are no tourists in Phuket and the next Immigration is swamped with tourists trying to extend their visa's. It like the Covid situation; it is not here, but don't form crowds otherwise you will help spread the infection .........?????

a couple of hundred tourists turning up at immigration is not 300 full flights per day of arrivals

• Like 1

Yet another Thai mess. Listening of what is going on in the various immigration offices I conclude, that they have learnt absolutely NOTHING.

Extend on basis A, B, C - collect the fee and off you go

-OR-

expelled because A, B and/or C is not met; keep passport and get driven to the airport within 48 hours. If no money/flight = drop at the respective embassy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Amazing, I thought many were wanting to LEAVE Thailand once borders reopened?

They never closed.

Its a juxtaposition of "Hotel California". You can't check in but you can always leave.

Edited by polpott
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

sums up the overall state of thai immigration; should have sorted out this mess and publicized it long ago; o, sorry , i forgot, that requires intelligence

The same holds true for the people in the queue. They had plenty of time to think about this date and get things organized in the last months. And it is not rocket science.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fdbob said:

People have known long enough I guess the problem is not enough flights

If they were on amnesty here and cannot get a flight back to their home country the embassy would help with a letter for immigration, if they have not been to immigration to sort themselves out then that's their problem.

• Like 2