Phuket Immigration overwhelmed as foreigners race to extend stay in Thailand

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Most people over there have never seen this kind of immigration situations in their home country. Hence they don't realize how immigration in Thailand works. Especially Europeans have no clue, a person without papers (and illegal immigrants) over there has more rights than a person with papers and the right visa in Thailand. They don't have a clue that different countries have different laws. They believe it is (European) standard all over the world ???? 

That's. rubbish!  if they have been stuck here since the initial amnesty (March wasn't it?) Then they have had enough time to sort out a visa or get home (with a few, and that's very few exceptions!) and surely been involved in many conversations and been able to research about what to do and what might or might not happen and what options were available. To be here since March at least they should have an idea as to how immigration work in Thailand.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Most people over there have never seen this kind of immigration situations in their home country. Hence they don't realize how immigration in Thailand works. Especially Europeans have no clue, a person without papers (and illegal immigrants) over there has more rights than a person with papers and the right visa in Thailand. They don't have a clue that different countries have different laws. They believe it is (European) standard all over the world ???? 

With that type of thinking they must have low IQ's.

• Like 2

I'm not a visa expert.  Perhaps these people were waiting for another possible extension  or maybe to maximize the time they can stay in Thailand  by not starting their vida a month ago.  Chill out.   It's skin off you perfect people  back. 

• Like 2

sorted yesterday.  it wasn't stressful, but it is a relief it's over.  

there's probably not one person there who can speak both Thai and English (or Russian and Thai).   Each person will take about 30 minutes, and everyone will have to get more copies, maybe pay more than expected, and ask questions that might go unanswered.

and you have 500 people who don't want to talk to you, look at you, help you, and will be happy to be away from you.  

enjoy. 

i waited until my gut feeling said no more amnesties.  that was yesterday.  i don't blame anyone for waiting until tomorrow.  

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

sorted yesterday.  it wasn't stressful, but it is a relief it's over.  

there's probably not one person there who can speak both Thai and English (or Russian and Thai).   Each person will take about 30 minutes, and everyone will have to get more copies, maybe pay more than expected, and ask questions that might go unanswered.

and you have 500 people who don't want to talk to you, look at you, help you, and will be happy to be away from you.  

enjoy. 

That's why I'm bringing the enforcer (GF)...she's coming to protect her interests. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

a couple of hundred tourists turning up at immigration is not 300 full flights per day of arrivals

True, but it's a lot more than the average daily number of arrivals expected under the new system, whatever it's called.

14 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Hmmm?.. how long has everyone known that Sept 26th is the deadline?  Maybe a bit of intelligence require to be prepared instead of waiting until the last minute..   

Many of them have been waiting it out hoping for a last minute further extension of the amnesty and have now been caught out despite the warning at the last notification of amnesty extension.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Hmmm?.. how long has everyone known that Sept 26th is the deadline?  Maybe a bit of intelligence require to be prepared instead of waiting until the last minute..   

How long did everyone know about the earlier deadline - which was then cancelled. How many thought that, with little changed, the same thing wouldn't happen again?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AAIrons said:

What exactly are the documents needed to get the extention? I have the letter from my embassy but I cant see anywhere that says exactly what else I need?

Thanks

for an extension........one form that is at immigration.  simple stuff.  passport number, name, address, TM9 numbers and whatever......port of entry, etc....

i needed 2 pictures.  passport photos worked, but i think they wanted something a little smaller.

2 copies of every page in my passport and the letter copied twice

they spend sometime looking back to when your ...... expired and they might ask some questions

receipt of rent.  i didn't have, but they asked a few times.  didn't stop me from getting a stamp

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AAIrons said:

What exactly are the documents needed to get the extention? I have the letter from my embassy but I cant see anywhere that says exactly what else I need?

Thanks

TM7 Form, Passport, copies of passport, current Visa and stamp, TM6 departure card, maybe Tm30 and 90 day report evidence. 1900 baht. Picture

3 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Same warning as the last months. Some people therefore used their 60 day extension, only for the Thai government to extend it at the last moment. 

When they got their 60 days extension further responsibilties should have been assumed to season funds in the bank or prepare foreign tranfers and documentation and apply for a furter extension of stay at the end of the 60 days.

Yes some people were hoping for a new extension to be announced 

Which is looking like a big No 

They now will have to come up with a new visa to stay

Don't agree with some on here blaming Thai immigration 

People were more than aware it was going to happen hence the rush to Immigration now