Poor quality bottled water

Grusa

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

When you have opened the bottle, you should test it within half an hour.

Who knows what goes in after opening.

Some mineral water are not clean, it really depends on the brand, what's your brand? I buy Singha water and no problem with that.

Where did you buy the test water stuff? 

Lazada or Ali Express. Not expensive.

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If it is mineral water the TDS should be high.  

yes. the brand 'mentioned' is filtered RO / UV treated. minerals added. as specified on the actual label of the product in question. high TDS would suggest you are getting what you paid for.

Edited by jastheace

Been buying big bottles of water I think 10 litres or maybe more from local suppliers for 10 years or more years exchanging the big bottle is 15 baht.

When out in a restaurant will pay 5 to 15 for a 600ml bottle. 

supply and demand. ???? 

• Like 1

I lived in LOS for years. After getting typhoid fever a third time, I asked the best GP I have ever attended (those in C Mai will know Loy Kroh clinic and, I hope he's still alive) "we get local bottled water delivered - do you think it's safe ?" to which he replied "over 75% of all bottled water sold in Thailand is unfit for human consumption." Next he said - "I sincerely hope you boil all of it" - to which I replied "I will be, from now on." He had no reason to lie, - at that time he was head of the biggest government hospital in C Mai - the clinic is/was his way of giving back to the community and, farang are welcome. Long queue, but dirt cheap. He said that "In C Mai, the bottled water companies have their own wells, but in rainy season the water table rises up and what happens is their 'safe' well is now getting ingress from the next-door neighbours' "bore-key" (septic tank), which is spilling into the water table. After learning this, we boiled all our home delivered water for the eight years we lived in Saraphi - you expats will all know the stuff that comes in re-fillable bottles in a crate. For ex-UK lads reading this - I am a big fan of "Minder" and "New Tricks" with both series starring Denis Waterman. Our water-delivery guys were forever totally 'smashed' on lao-cao' (moonshine) whenever they delivered our crates and, they reeked of it and tobacco. Which is why I nick-named the boss man "Denis" - it was always "Sawatdee Khun Denis" but, I suspect he didn't really get it. Wifey did. She translated it as "Denis," "the water man."

2 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

I lived in LOS for years. After getting typhoid fever a third time, I asked the best GP I have ever attended (those in C Mai will know Loy Kroh clinic and, I hope he's still alive) "we get local bottled water delivered - do you think it's safe ?" to which he replied "over 75% of all bottled water sold in Thailand is unfit for human consumption." Next he said - "I sincerely hope you boil all of it" - to which I replied "I will be, from now on." He had no reason to lie, - at that time he was head of the biggest government hospital in C Mai - the clinic is/was his way of giving back to the community and, farang are welcome. Long queue, but dirt cheap. He said that "In C Mai, the bottled water companies have their own wells, but in rainy season the water table rises up and what happens is their 'safe' well is now getting ingress from the next-door neighbours' "bore-key" (septic tank), which is spilling into the water table. After learning this, we boiled all our home delivered water for the eight years we lived in Saraphi - you expats will all know the stuff that comes in re-fillable bottles in a crate. For ex-UK lads reading this - I am a big fan of "Minder" and "New Tricks" with both series starring Denis Waterman. Our water-delivery guys were forever totally 'smashed' on lao-cao' (moonshine) whenever they delivered our crates and, they reeked of it and tobacco. Which is why I nick-named the boss man "Denis" - it was always "Sawatdee Khun Denis" but, I suspect he didn't really get it. Wifey did. She translated it as "Denis," "the water man."

Interesting, are you suggesting that large companies like Nestle just pump water out of the ground and bottle it with zero treatment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't care where the water comes from in Thailand, I always boil it. Tap, bottle, roadside RO, anything if I will be drinking it.

This is Thailand, the mains water contractor could have the chlorine cylinder run out, the RO machine might not have seen maintenance for years ( I've actually had algae growing in water from one ), the bottled water might simply be filled from the nearest tap, then sealed.

I've even boiled water for drinking in the USA, giardia parasite is endemic there.

I've survived in Thailand for ten years without any problem, so I think I am doing something right.

Oh, and I only drink beer or canned lemon soda at restaurants. Wouldn't touch their water with a barge pole.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't care where the water comes from in Thailand, I always boil it. Tap, bottle, roadside RO, anything if I will be drinking it.

This is Thailand, the mains water contractor could have the chlorine cylinder run out, the RO machine might not have seen maintenance for years ( I've actually had algae growing in water from one ), the bottled water might simply be filled from the nearest tap, then sealed.

I've even boiled water for drinking in the USA, giardia parasite is endemic there.

I've survived in Thailand for ten years without any problem, so I think I am doing something right.

Oh, and I only drink beer or canned lemon soda at restaurants. Wouldn't touch their water with a barge pole.

I agree about water supplied in restaurants with the exception being if in sealed bottles labelled as being from Brewery  companies.

But in general bottled water supply Companies are probably safe. That the taste is variable is a  different issue and  many people have their preferences.

If anyone has  genuine  cause  for concern it is relatively easy to report (concerns) them  to Health  Authorities and/or supply samples  for proper testing for genuinely harmful content.

23 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I agree about water supplied in restaurants with the exception being if in sealed bottles labelled as being from Brewery  companies.

But in general bottled water supply Companies are probably safe. That the taste is variable is a  different issue and  many people have their preferences.

If anyone has  genuine  cause  for concern it is relatively easy to report (concerns) them  to Health  Authorities and/or supply samples  for proper testing for genuinely harmful content.

Do you have ice with any of your drinks in a restaurant?

I find Thai beer quite drinkable. Having said that, I regard putting ice in beer as an abomination, only practised by people who have had their taste buds removed at birth.

• Thanks 1

Recent lab tests show my body to be full of plastic of all things.

BPA stands for Bisphenol A. BPA is an industrial chemical that has been used to make certain plastics and resins since the 1960s. BPA is found in polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins. Polycarbonate plastics are often used in containers that store food and beverages, such as water bottles.

So it is not only the water quality we have to worry about.

If I understand the OP correctly he wishes to know to what regulatory agency he can notify or complain that water from one source has considerably higher ppm, respectively total dissolved solids (TDS) than water from two other sources.

Should the OP not first inquire what regulatory limits, if any, there are for drinking water in Thailand, both for regular water and for water labelled as mineral water?

• Like 1

This web page gives some basic information about TDS and the classification of drinking water based on the TDS level in mg/L in Italy:

https://www.remauri.it/en/oligomineral-water/

<50: minimum mineralised

50–500: oligomineral

500–1,500: medium mineralised

>1500: highly mineralised

Looking at the bottle of Italian water on my table just now I see that it has a TDS level of 130.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Do you have ice with any of your drinks in a restaurant?

I find Thai beer quite drinkable. Having said that, I regard putting ice in beer as an abomination, only practised by people who have had their taste buds removed at birth.

I rarely drink beer at all but on those occasions have no problem with ice  added.

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Recent lab tests show my body to be full of plastic of all things.

BPA stands for Bisphenol A. BPA is an industrial chemical that has been used to make certain plastics and resins since the 1960s. BPA is found in polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins. Polycarbonate plastics are often used in containers that store food and beverages, such as water bottles.

So it is not only the water quality we have to worry about.

I recycle my drinking water bottles. Most of the BPA that concerns you is leached out in the first bottling. If the item has been standing in the sun and getting warm, more BPA is leached out.

The amount of BPA in the water I drink from said bottles decreases with every cycle.