Is it ok to travel to China?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If one is Australian, definitely not a good idea. There's a new Cold War going on.

Yes, quite apart from travel being impossible due to the China virus, the Australian Government’s “Smart Traveller” website recommends against travel to China, quote “If you’re already in China, and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means. Authorities have detained foreigners because they're 'endangering national security'. Australians may also be at risk of arbitrary detention.”

51 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

China is very low risk for covid but the borders are pretty much closed for tourists. Winter is also coming on and most of the big tourist sites are  in the cold zones. Hotels may be hard to book for laowais.

Hong Kong is probably more accessible. 

Nope, Hong Kong remains closed for now. 

1 hour ago, poloshirt said:

Thank you everyone for the response to my questions on travel to China.

From the informations I come to the conclusion that it is too much trouble for me to visit China.

I am 70 but I am not on medication, get tired sometimes still can walk if weather is not humid or hot to walk around.

I have cancer of the colon but I refused to get treatment in hospital now just waiting to exit (know what I mean?).

The idea was to do a last trip to China, come back home and get admitted to the hospital. Now I think I wouldn't be able to do that due to many factors. So now I am just waiting at home for the grim reaper to come and say "Hello there".

However I think in the end I still have to get admitted to the hospital because the pain can be excruciating and hospital have strong pain killer compare to what I have that I bought at the pharmacy.

Cheers

OK first question - where are you now? If in Thailand, be aware that Air China recently resumed flights between Bangkok and Beijing. The bad news is that only Chinese and Thai citizens can board, and Thais must have some kind of residency permit to get on these flights after which everyone does a 14 day quarantine at a government facility upon arrival in China, along with the usual covid-19 test certificate that needs to be issued within 72 hours prior to boarding the flight, and another two at least will be taken in quarantine itself.

China is a fascinating country and the oppressive summertime heat and humidity of Guangzhou/Canton gives way to pleasant warm and drier weather with mostly sunny skies around October before becoming cool, cloudy, gloomy and miserable from late December onwards. 

In other words, October to November would have been the perfect time to visit.

I hope your health improves and that perhaps you could visit in one year's time, because I don't see general travel opening up for at least 6 months and possibly longer. And this applies not just to China but the rest of the world. 

10 hours ago, poloshirt said:

Thank you everyone for the response to my questions on travel to China.

From the informations I come to the conclusion that it is too much trouble for me to visit China.

I am 70 but I am not on medication, get tired sometimes still can walk if weather is not humid or hot to walk around.

I have cancer of the colon but I refused to get treatment in hospital now just waiting to exit (know what I mean?).

The idea was to do a last trip to China, come back home and get admitted to the hospital. Now I think I wouldn't be able to do that due to many factors. So now I am just waiting at home for the grim reaper to come and say "Hello there".

However I think in the end I still have to get admitted to the hospital because the pain can be excruciating and hospital have strong pain killer compare to what I have that I bought at the pharmacy.

Cheers

forget any travel, best to go to the hospital for a checkup. 

May I humbly suggest to the open minded do not judge a nation by its regime or leaders. 

Russia India Thailand Oz UK and USA are fine places even though we may dislike their governments. I lived in China for a year and travelled all over Shanghai to Guanzhou, Aomen/macao to Changsha,from Beijing to Tibet.I prefer Yunann for food climate and nature.

Nice people in general esp the people in Yunann, less scams than here, some strange foods but if you learn a little Mandarin always good food avaiabe esp Sichian, Yunnan and the vegetarian things.

Booking travel Maps all so much easier with net.

Invesitgate a VBangkok Bank Union Pay Visa card?

Huge place full of all sorts of scenery, cultures and adventures hope to go again when borders open. Driving Keen think I'll take excellent trains next time and then van/taxi/bike.

There is no excuse for their abise of han rights there ever is but few nations are spotless if we look at the Australian Aborigine , the Brutish Empire , American treatment of minorities.

I woul add while passable Chinese Red Wine is little better than Thai !

Despite Han reluctance to eat Cheese thsi is not true of Yunnan.

Archived