Foreigners in Thailand face fines and jail for overstaying as visa amnesty ends

snoop1130

26 minutes ago, AbeNormal said:

why the attack on Brits ?

I'm a retired Brit have Bt60k a month Bt800k in a Thai bank well over 100k GBP at home and I'm not even old enough to get a state pension and I know many that earn more than me

as for the people being forced out of Thailand after a long stay during amnesty. I don't get the logic from Thailand and need tourists right now, why deport the ones already here 

As for the ones already here, you really don't have much to complain about, furlough in the UK is finishing next month and perhaps for other countries too, get your lazy *** back home and get back to work, Thailand has been good to you for 6 months stop complaining about it.

Because a lot of the Brits are running amok on this site like they are the kings. Fair play you got a bit of change there but by no means worth reporting online. Remote work just became the new normal and thailand would be wise to recognise that and embrace it. Might make them realise retirement visas are chump change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mancub said:

1 year overstay for bt20k and only a 1 year ban seems like a good deal !

If you are caught by their 'benz', then it is 5 years. 

I'm sure their benz is going out in full force after so many months of inactivity.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

A tourist is somebody who comes for a holiday. It is not someone who should be able to live in the country for ever !

Why do tourists think they should be able to stay with no regulation and people who have the correct visa for long stay have to meet all sorts of regulations regarding money in the bank,health insurance,90 day reports etc ?

Unfortunately, there were too many loopholes in the past such that these long-term stayers became visa runners or paying agent illegally.\

Now they even created a special 9 month tourist visa.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, mancub said:

So a genuine "tourist' is someone who only ever visits once, then ?

No but for a while now Immigration have been saying that people should be on the appropriate visas. Tourists on tourist visas, longstayers on extensions of stay or whatever. 

Unless of course you promise to spend close to a million baht a month and are happy to be treated like a convict. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, genericptr said:

USA has 300k Thai residents I believe. We've taken in thousands of refugees from the region and surely would have done the same for Thailand. If only Americans knew how the Thais treat us here they wouldn't be so generous in the future.

Really? Then why did Trump close the doors for Muslims, build a border for Mexico refugees, revoke visa for Chinese students etc?  Doesn't seem generous to me.

You aren't considered a refugee, are you?

30 minutes ago, GigsGigs said:

And I've been saying this for weeks to no end now, the double amnesty thing has been seen and perceived as a "sign of weakness" by the upper inner circles at the Immigration headquarters.

As always as foreigners we only see what we want to see from our angle, point of view through the prism of whatever reality we live in. For the Thais however, it appears we would have "abused" their kindness by using these two amnesties as a way to maintain ourselves in the Kingdom (THEIR Kindom, remember?) more than what we should have.

The 26th September marks the grand opening of the "farang hunting season" for the immigration, expect to be stopped frequently through the country for a quick passport/visa check (checkpoints anyone?) more than you ever have in the past, post Covid-19 era.

Why do you ask? Because in their minds we have effectively abused their trust and misused the double amnesties they have granted us.

Or simply put, because THEY CAN.

That is one of the sides effects of the Xenophobic rhetorica that is being spun by this "self-elected" government.

Thailand is officially going down the drain. Thanks to the Army, I guess.

Edit: On a personal level, I'm starting to take peeks here and there to Laos as an alternative destination, afterall let's face it; most of the girls we interact with in the seedy/raunchy areas of the country that are being employed in the nightlife/adult industry (yes, I'm looking at you Pattaya, Koh Samui, Patong, Nana Plaza@BKK etc) are from the Issan region anyways, they speak Lao in their families more than they speak the "Hi so" Thai from Bangkok and they are ethnically speaking closer to their Laotian sisters than they are to their Bangkok "Hi so" compatriots. Same same as they say.

Saying what for weeks and where? 

Case of a wrong handle perhaps.

You got some info to share on Laos besides the girls. Last time I checked it's a no go. 

Just now, Nout said:

Its 60 k a month and I spend it all and more. I know hardly any men married  to Thais. They either have the 800.000k or 60 k a month income. You want to believe retirees are broke but its you who is broke.

Yes 100% correct I'm broke but I still manage better than 95% of retirees. And you.

• Haha 1

I see this add popping up on Facebook since a few days.

No idea if it is legitimate  : about 500 $ for a upto 6 month visa to Bali.

Indonesia is supposedly closed but Bali was keen to open for tourism in Jully and was turn Dow by Jakarta. Is it a smart move from local authorities trying to attract foreigners from covid free Thailand? Or is it just a Scam to get money out of desesperate stranded foreigners in Thailand?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4547456375329265&id=137499056325041

42 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Saying what for weeks and where? 

Case of a wrong handle perhaps.

You got some info to share on Laos besides the girls. Last time I checked it's a no go. 

Lao people are totally different to Isaan people

• Thanks 2