Who's Holding Out For A 22-Sept Announcment?

10 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

The author of the article probably meant "extend tourist visa". Sometimes, the word choice is not so accurate.  Even "visa" is incorrect in this context. It should be "extend permission to stay".

There is neither way to extend tourist visa.

And again to extend permission to stay, for many people, no other way than the AGENT route.

It's official corruption here, in the virus circonstances. Massively documented.

Would look terribly bad for Thailand if no correct solution is annonced by the 26, would blow up.

Edited by Sambotte

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm going to Kalasin immigration on Wednesday after we are sure there is no statement coming from Tuesday's cabinet meeting, and I'm going to ask questions about what might happen if the border and quarantine situation remains the same at the end of my 60-day marriage extension - as I expect it will be. Is it possible that more than one extension will be allowed due to the extraordinary circumstances, or will those circumstances be ignored and it will be business as usual.

Yea good luck with getting an answer to that.

Btw, the circumstances are hardly 'extraordinary' in this context, you either leave the country or go onto a 1 yr ext?

• Like 1

Just now, Sambotte said:

And again to extend permission to stay, for many people, no other way than the AGENT route.

It's official corruption here, in the virus circonstances. Massively documented.

Would look terribly bad for Thailand if no correct solution is annonced by the 26, would blow up.

wrong. everybody expects that. no surprises. old normal ????

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

When September 22 comes and goes without any new announcement, those who dislike reality can still pin their hopes on the next cabinet meeting on September 29. By then, they can rationalise, the authorities will have witnessed the absolute chaos and economic damage that has resulted from the July decision, and will be forced to announce a new amnesty.

Seriously, anyone who thinks there is more than a minuscule chance of a new amnesty for those on short term permissions to stay needs to wake up.

Time is up:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/get-a-visa-or-go-to-jail-thai-immigration

Edited by FritsSikkink

1 minute ago, worldfun said:

wrong. everybody expects that. no surprises. old normal ????

Nop. This time it's massive, it's with the virus crisis, and they threaten to arrest people.

Would go in medias this time. With a TON of cases of people having had to pay an obscure agent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Just go home

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

When the Government has made it clear that there won't be another extension I can't understand why so many people think that they might change their minds at the last minute. In any event I doubt that the requirement to drop the Embassy letter will happen. Too big a loss of face. To avoid queues this week I suggest that late people needing an extension use an agent. 

14 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

I am sure it's already chaos and long lines. ???? 

I got my 60-day extension in ChiangMai on Friday,arrived at 11am to find 5-people waiting in the entire office! Very pleasant and helpful IMO and completed the process in 15min.

...but that was last week ????

18 minutes ago, trappedinasia said:

By the end of October, traveling to Europe or the US will likely be even more difficult than now. Many countries will be restricting travel as the plague accelerates in fall. The Thai authorities probably realize that people who don't leave now will not be able to leave for many months, so they're scaring off some of those who could end up broke by December or so.

They will do something, if not this week, then in October. Another amnesty or offer new in-country tourist visas or at least give multiple 30-day extensions.

If a country won't bother to issues embassy letters for its citizens, that means Thailand will feel little diplomatic pressure to give them extensions, but they're not going to do mass round-ups, incarcerations, deportations etc in a pandemic, when no other countries are doing anything like that. And countries requesting extensions for their citizens aren't going to be snubbed, especially when the situation gets worse in the Northern Hemisphere. Thailand isn't going to turn itself into an international pariah to appease a few trolls on ThaiVisa. 

Do you have official factual sources for what is speculated in your post?

Edited by userabcd

44 minutes ago, worldfun said:

nobody is lying. we are simply adapting to the preferred local process set by IM.

anything else is going to be uphill battle but I wish for this upstanding member of the international society all the luck and success he can get. maybe in some 50 years time future generations will stand to benefit of the changes ????

No, people are committing a crime when they don't meet the requirements and let an agent bribe an IO for them to get a visa.  

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, trappedinasia said:

By the end of October, traveling to Europe or the US will likely be even more difficult than now. Many countries will be restricting travel as the plague accelerates in fall. The Thai authorities probably realize that people who don't leave now will not be able to leave for many months, so they're scaring off some of those who could end up broke by December or so.

There will never be a problem with repatriation to ones homes country. We're not talking about casual leisure travel here to take a trip to the beach. The situation regarding repatriation flights to Europe, Asia and North America (via connection flights) won't change.

However I don't believe there will be mass raids or incarcerations either. Amnesty might run out but they won't send out droves of the Schutzstaffel to peoples past addresses or hotels to facilitate arrests. Lots of people will also still have their passports "on the road" with visa agents getting their extension / visa stamps. Hope they took at least a copy just in case. Immigration will look the other way for the time being unless someone gets himself into trouble with the authorities so people should lay low.

• Thanks 1

So BK Herald reported on the "No Amnesty" situation. They claim that since CCSA did not propose anything to the Cabinet, further extension will not be on the table at all this week.
Also, they talk about options for Non-B's and Non-O's.  Good article, actually.

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/get-legal-or-get-out-thailand-visa-amnesty-ends-saturday/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

So BK Herald reported on the "No Amnesty" situation. They claim that since CCSA did not propose anything to the Cabinet, further extension will not be on the table at all this week.
Also, they talk about options for Non-B's and Non-O's.  Good article, actually.

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/get-legal-or-get-out-thailand-visa-amnesty-ends-saturday/

Bangkok Herald is fringe press at best IMHO but yeah, good summary of all visa options although nothing new for those who kept themselves informed over the past weeks.

just got back from Hua Hin immigration and it is mobbed - i was only there last thursday and i was the only one there but this time very different. people everywhere, looking stressed - for the first time see people queuing downstairs (to get upstairs), never seen that before even back in march crazy days.

i think some people have decided enough is enough and it's time to cash in their extensions - good idea, do not want to be there on friday

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yea good luck with getting an answer to that.

Btw, the circumstances are hardly 'extraordinary' in this context, you either leave the country or go onto a 1 yr ext?

I don't expect a useful answer. I'm just interested in what they say. Of course, the person next to him/her might tell be something completely different as no-one knows the answer.

We'll have to disagree that borders closed due to a pandemic are not 'extraordinary'.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

If you'd ever been to the UK, you'd know.

need to be upper middle class at least to get the best out of the UK now, though Scotland is beautiful and a lot more reasonable if you can handle the weather. if you are poor its a dive (but then isn't everywhere!!)

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm going to Kalasin immigration on Wednesday after we are sure there is no statement coming from Tuesday's cabinet meeting, and I'm going to ask questions about what might happen if the border and quarantine situation remains the same at the end of my 60-day marriage extension - as I expect it will be. Is it possible that more than one extension will be allowed due to the extraordinary circumstances, or will those circumstances be ignored and it will be business as usual.

Got my 60 day extension at CM on Friday, they asked me what my plans for the future were, clearly indicating they weren't expecting any changes in border openings (have a ME Non-O valid until April 2021). I told them I'll have 400k for my next extension, which they were happy with.

And with the new 90-day tourist VISA scheme being planned until September 2021, it appears the government is looking at incoming foreigner 14 day quarantines for another year.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1