Who's Holding Out For A 22-Sept Announcment?

1 hour ago, ELMqgp said:

I went to the immigration office today and the immigration volunteer said to either leave the thailand before September 26th or change to other long stay visa pay about 70000 baht. This is legal solicitation of bribes and I think the Thai government should do something about it.

I agree, the Thai government should do something about the immigration official who asked you to pay 70,000 Baht for a "long stay visa", with which you presumably mean a one-year extension of stay. What did the government say when you report this to them?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, genericptr said:

So you're a manager for a multinational telling us that we don't pay enough taxes or something? Why are you dictating what you think Thai visa law should be to grown men on the internet? Don't you have better things to do like managing the multinational?

I tell you what the law is, not what it should be. You might learn something.

Edited by FritsSikkink

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

The rules are the rules and are well known before one comes to Thailand to theoretically settle down, but the non imm o route or its extensions thereof is certainly not permanent as most would assume.

If people seek permanent residence or citizenship in Thailand there are options to obtain it.

The rules you refer to have been changed over and over. When I came to Thailand around 25 years ago they were very different, and have been tightened and tightened ever since. My currency has since halved in value against the Baht, and the sum needed in a Thai bank has also doubled. Only a very, very limited number of citizenships are granted per year, I think 1,000 but I might be wrong. Someone I know who is Australian but was raised in Thailand was 'invited' to pay one 1,000,000 baht into a charity run by one of the highest members of society before he could even be considered. Non-refundable of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

With only 1200 arrivals a month allowed. I wonder how they will choose those from worldwide. I can guess they might all have to come from one country, and we all know which one that will be.

I suspect that the number of new tourist arrivals is being limited because of the limited number of hotel rooms that qualify for ASQ (alternative state quarantine)

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:
2 hours ago, ELMqgp said:

I went to the immigration office today and the immigration volunteer said to either leave the thailand before September 26th or change to other long stay visa pay about 70000 baht. This is legal solicitation of bribes and I think the Thai government should do something about it.

would you have rather they just said "leave thailand before the 26th" then?

strange. where i come from lifelines are generally good news.

Strange. Where I come from the officials are not corrupt. How about you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidhen said:

I've been here on a 90-day non-o visa (now expired) since January. Thai Airways cancelled my 15th April flight at the end of March, and I opted for the delayed return flight back to the UK option. Just prior to my taking any IM action, they brought in the amnesty, and I have been enjoying that provision ever since.

During the last few weeks, I have been putting "plan B" into operation. I have a new passport (my original one expires in Jan '21, and I foresaw problems with that), I have my expired visa evidenced in my new passport, along with evidence of where I am residing. I have also managed to open a Thai bank a/c.

So, to answer the OP's question: I am waiting to see what comes out of tomorrow's (22nd Sep') cabinet meeting. If there is no further amnesty extension, I have THB 14,000 ready, along with all the other requirements, and an agent standing by, to procure a retirement visa for me.  You we’re in deed fortunate to be able to open a bank account. I was told I needed a current visa not Amnesty        So got 60 visa to visit wife but dated Sept16 to Nov 15.  And then Still needed to get permission (300bht )Letter from Immigration to openNew Bank  act.  60 days to season 400k.   Will take until 24 nov.       visa good to 15 nov.  ???? 

12 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

1.. it's barely 2 years old - NOT several years

2.. it's NOT illegal as the police and wp department confirmed, no arrests or deportations were made

3.. there is a big difference between a company IN Thailand contracting self employed people IN Thailand to work IN Thailand and earn money IN Thailand - and a self employed person on a computer consulting for companies IN America, getting paid IN America, IN USD, thus not providing any services, making any money, or taking jobs in Thailand.

4.. There is no debate -the evidence is here. If the police say it isn't illegal, who are you going to believe? A man claiming to manage a multinational who has an abundance of time during a Monday afternooon, or the Royal Thai police?

Working remotely/working online for a non-Thai company or company not in Thailand doesn't come under the Alien Employment Act.

Doing it on a Tourist Visa is perfectly legal (it isn't legally classed as employment) and no work permit is needed.

11 well qualified (and highly paid) attorneys disagree with your interpretation of the law.

I think we can leave it at that. Believe what you want but don't try to educate people on the internet on Thai Employment and Immigration Law. It's a slippery slope!

• Like 1

Just now, FlyingThai said:

11 well qualified (and highly paid) attorneys disagree with your interpretation of the law.

I think we can leave it at that. Believe what you want but don't try to educate people on the internet on Thai Employment and Immigration Law. It's a slippery slope!

Yes - because YOU are a company IN THAILAND..... some people....

19 minutes ago, genericptr said:

They never gave us an option to pay taxes. I came here on a METV and earn some money online while in Thailand. Are you saying I should be deported if the government found out? My crime is earning foreign currency which I import and spend in Thailand. 

Actually you do pay taxes - VAT, 7% on most of your purchases.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

What about the immigration stamp "7 days to leave" btw ? 

In case a extension is refused (like the normal extension from tourist exemption), immigration is supposed to do that no ?

They probably should but every immigration office still does things their own way..... if you can get a flight out within a few days after the extension, I'm sure it would be perfectly fine to just pay the overstay fee (500 baht/day). 

6 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I know - i only mentioned the new SMART visa rules were being announced soon and it may apply to digital nomads, so hold off a little if you have another extension. It was reported via bangkok post - not allowed to post the link. The smell of jealousy in the air?

Why are you not allowed to post the link? I've repeatedly posted links to Bangkok Post. There's no prohibition to doing so.  Or is there? 

In fact, I think it's encouraged that people post links to published information rather than just say they read something somewhere. 

Could you post a link? 

Thanks. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Why are you not allowed to post the link? I've repeatedly posted links to Bangkok Post. There's no prohibition to doing so.  Or is there? 

In fact, I think it's encouraged that people post links to published information rather than just say they read something somewhere. 

Could you post a link? 

Thanks. 

If you successfully posted, you may wish to review your old posts. You might find they were removed by admins.

PER THE THAIVISA FORUM RULES:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ELMqgp said:

Indeed.

And this whole mess is huge :

- During a pandemy

- Thousands of "agent use"

- Threat of massive arrest

- Even the guy from Immigration is saying something like "somehow" people managed to get a "proper visa" without going out of the country, in one media at least. That speak loud.

This will blow up in the "face" of gouvernement if nothing is done before the 26th.

• Like 2

Guess this post will get more 'laugh' reacts than anything else, but I'll be the one to ask. ????

In the (very, very very) slim chance the amnesty is extended - does everyone here who has already obtained an Embassy extension for 30 more days again fall under/into that amnesty period (until whenever the new Amnesty ends), hence does Amnesty 'override' their under consideration stamp, or are they s**t out of luck and have to leave the country at the end of 30 days?

Edited by tabbycat

6 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

I got my 60-day extension in ChiangMai on Friday,arrived at 11am to find 5-people waiting in the entire office! Very pleasant and helpful IMO and completed the process in 15min.

...but that was last week ????

I did mine today in my local office, one and a half hours as we were the first ones there. They didn't even know that the 60-day extension started from the 27th until my wife showed them their own website. ????

I'm hoping that the 1 year extension with 400,000 in the bank for 2 months will be a little more straightforward. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tabbycat said:

Guess this post will get more 'laugh' reacts than anything else, but I'll be the one to ask. ????

In the (very, very very) slim chance the amnesty is extended - does everyone here who has already obtained an Embassy extension for 30 more days again fall under/into that amnesty period (until whenever the new Amnesty ends), hence does Amnesty 'override' their under consideration stamp, or are they s**t out of luck and have to leave the country at the end of 30 days?

If it happens, you should be covered. But you should probably close the loop to get your "permitted to stay until" stamped in your passport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, schondie said:

I did mine today in my local office, one and a half hours as we were the first ones there. They didn't even know that the 60-day extension started from the 27th until my wife showed them their own website. ????

I'm hoping that the 1 year extension with 400,000 in the bank for 2 months will be a little more straightforward. 

LOL...which office?

2 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

If it happens, you should be covered. But you should probably close the loop to get your "permitted to stay until" stamped in your passport.

Thanks, good to know.

Makes me wonder why people are insisting on going to immigration as late as possible this week when it'll inevitably be chaos. Not only would the extension start from the same day regardless of when you go, but you'd also be covered either way in case an amnesty *were* to be announced after the cabinet meeting - hence there is literally nothing to be gained by going on Friday or Saturday (other than pain, of course).

Edited by tabbycat

19 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Could you post a link? 

Thanks. 

It doesn't have the same explicit language as the BKP, however i found this on the nation;

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30394652?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

2 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

Thanks, good to know.

Makes me wonder why people are insisting on going to immigration as late as possible this week when it'll inevitably be chaos. Not only would the extension start from the same day regardless of when you go, but you'd also be covered either way in case an amnesty *were* to be announced after the cabinet meeting.

Some do not want to make the trip unless absolutely necessary. And there is the matter of 1900baht, which would also be spent unnecessarily if an amnesty is granted.

2 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

Thanks, good to know.

Makes me wonder why people are insisting on going to immigration as late as possible this week when it'll inevitably be chaos. Not only would the extension start from the same day regardless of when you go, but you'd also be covered either way in case an amnesty *were* to be announced after the cabinet meeting - hence there is literally nothing to be gained by going on Friday or Saturday (other than pain, of course).

You only get one shot at some extensions.  Don't want to waste it.

• Like 2