How Can My Wife Obtain a Blue Book

A few years ago my wife purchased a townhouse. We live in the US and we have the title deed (chanote). I was discussing the new real estate tax law with her and I come to find out that she never received a blue book for the property. I asked her why and she said something like the official that administers that document wasn't available when she purchase to townhouse and she never returned (or forgot to return) to get it. The townhouse is in Ao Nang, Krabi.

Next time we return to Thai I want her to obtain the blue book. Where does she go and what documents does she need to have? I assume they want to see the title deed, her Thai ID, and possibly her Thai passport. Anything else she needs to bring?

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

She can check with one Of the Royal Thai consulates for procedures.  Even the Thai embassy has folks that can advise her.

Thank you for the advice. We live near DC so it should be easy for her to access the embassy or consulate.

Your wife needs the title deed and her Thai ID card. She can visit the District Office and get a new book issued for 20 baht. Some offices may require a police report to state that the original book has been lost.

However, this is assuming that there is nobody still listed in the book. If there are people listed, your wife will have to start a process at the District Office to have the current people in the book removed. Once this is done she will be able to get a new blue book, as a lot of District Offices will not issue a blue book to the building owner if there are people still currently listed. It seems somewhat illogical, but in some provinces the owner of the property cannot get a blue book until all previous people are removed from the book (where the owner is not listed as the Head of Household in the book).

If nobody is listed in the book then your wife can sign a letter of authority, provide a signed copy of the title deed and a signed copy of her Thai ID card and a third party can apply for a new book for her. If needed, they can also make a police report for her with a separate signed letter of authority and a separate signed copy of her Thai ID card.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 7:51 AM, donx said:

Thank you for this useful information. The townhouse was a new construction so there’s never been a blue book and thus nobody listed in it. 

I assume you want a blue book so she won't have to pay property tax for the house. That only works if the house is her official residence (meaning she's registered as living in that address).

As the blue book is issued and managed by the District office (and only the district office in which the property is located) I doubt the embassy can help in any way apart from maybe offer advice

On 9/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, donx said:

Next time we return to Thai I want her to obtain the blue book. Where does she go and what documents does she need to have? I assume they want to see the title deed, her Thai ID, and possibly her Thai passport. Anything else she needs to bring?

Your wife need to go to the Tessa Ban-office (not Amphor office), which is where building permissions and house books are approved and issued.

Tittle Deed, ID-card and eventually the sales agreement document, from when she bought the house. The seller should – to my knowledge – have had a house book issued when the house was finished; or even when 80 percent was finished (I got my house book at that point). The house book is normally needed for, for example electric power connection.

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know the process for a foreigner? I just bought a Condo and went to the district office in Yannawa this morning. The lady insisted I needed a notarized copy of my passport (even though I had my original passport with me) and also to have a translation of my name in Thai done by an official translation company. Does this sound right to anyone who has been through this process?

1 hour ago, London Boy said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know the process for a foreigner? I just bought a Condo and went to the district office in Yannawa this morning. The lady insisted I needed a notarized copy of my passport (even though I had my original passport with me) and also to have a translation of my name in Thai done by an official translation company. Does this sound right to anyone who has been through this process?

This is correct.  search forums for Yellow House book for instructions. You are not required to get one, but it may be useful at some point. You should have got the blue book with your condo. Your name wont go in the blue book, it's only for thais.  Your name can go in a yellow book if you get one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, London Boy said:

Maybe you have been misunderstod by the lady for a Yellow House Book for alien – it's correct what @YT3k72Em says, but paperwork and demands can be widely different from province to province – apart from your Blue Book should follow the apartment. If it's brand new condo you might need to take the title deed, which should be a Chanute title with your name on the back, and your passport to the Tessa Ban-office, eventually also any available sales agreement...????

On 9/29/2020 at 3:12 PM, khunPer said:

Maybe you have been misunderstod by the lady for a Yellow House Book for alien – it's correct what @YT3k72Em says, but paperwork and demands can be widely different from province to province – apart from your Blue Book should follow the apartment. If it's brand new condo you might need to take the title deed, which should be a Chanute title with your name on the back, and your passport to the Tessa Ban-office, eventually also any available sales agreement...????

I did receive the Chanout, but nothing else. Are you saying I should have recived the Blue Book from the land dept the day we completed? Or from the estate agent I bought it through (its not a new build)?

2 hours ago, London Boy said:

I did receive the Chanout, but nothing else. Are you saying I should have recived the Blue Book from the land dept the day we completed? Or from the estate agent I bought it through (its not a new build)?

When it's not a new build you should have the blue book from the seller or the real estate agent.

House book has nothing to do with land department – they only make title deeds and do transfers, i.e. names of owner on the back of the deed – house books are issued by the Tessa Ban-office (village/town administration), same office that issues building permissions.

I'm not sure about the procedure for a lost house book and having a replacement, you might need a police report for that; you for example need a police report if you loose your driver's license and apply for a replacement.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:10 AM, LukKrueng said:

I assume you want a blue book so she won't have to pay property tax for the house. That only works if the house is her official residence (meaning she's registered as living in that address).

As the blue book is issued and managed by the District office (and only the district office in which the property is located) I doubt the embassy can help in any way apart from maybe offer advice

Yes, I want the blue book so she can make this her primary residence and to avoid paying higher taxes. However, I don’t know if a tax bill was ever sent to her as neither her brother who lives where my wife is listed in the house book (that’s what my wife calls it) nor my wife’s cousin who lives in the townhouse next to ours have received a tax bill for her townhouse.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:43 AM, khunPer said:

Your wife need to go to the Tessa Ban-office (not Amphor office), which is where building permissions and house books are approved and issued.

Tittle Deed, ID-card and eventually the sales agreement document, from when she bought the house. The seller should – to my knowledge – have had a house book issued when the house was finished; or even when 80 percent was finished (I got my house book at that point). The house book is normally needed for, for example electric power connection.

My wife has the title deed and ID card but she doesn’t have a sales agreement document. The seller was the builder. I don’t know why she didn’t receive the blue book when the townhouse was purchased but she claims she never received it. I wasn’t there when the purchase was made so I can only go by what I was told years later. 

I asked her about the blue book because of my concerns regarding the new tax law.

8 hours ago, donx said:

My wife has the title deed and ID card but she doesn’t have a sales agreement document. The seller was the builder. I don’t know why she didn’t receive the blue book when the townhouse was purchased but she claims she never received it. I wasn’t there when the purchase was made so I can only go by what I was told years later. 

I asked her about the blue book because of my concerns regarding the new tax law.

You should try to visit the tessa ban-office.

If the house is registered for private primary home and apprised value is less than 50 million baht, you shall not pay the new property tax. The tessa ban office can issue a statement for primary private home – but the owner might need to be registered living there – to bring to the revenue office (it's a different office from the normal income tax office in the amphor), if the property is not registered correct. The deadline for property tax was end of August or September, if I remember correct. 

If the property is unused, the property tax will be higher.

I went to the revenue office in August with my property tax-slip to pay (a very modest amount, not worth writing home about). The kind officer asked if the house was my home? I confirmed, but as As I didn't bring the house book – in my case yellow for foreigners – as proof of registered primary home, I was send to the tessa ban-office for an approval of private home, which I got immediately. Back in the the revenue office I was told that my tax for the house should be void, and that I would get a new tax-letter for the land's tax only (it's a house on rented land, normally renter pays land tax).