Fear and confusion in Thailand’s tourism industry as near-bankrupt hotels decline foreign tourists

webfact

9 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Not true, BritManToo.. .065%? where do you get that figure? 30 million+ cases worldwide. 1 million deaths. 3+%?. USA 5million+ cases. Approx. 200,000 deaths. 4%? Canada 90,000 cases. 9,000 deaths. 10%?

Short of testing everyone on earth  7.7 billion people  there is no way of knowing for sure how many have had the Wuflu and not even noticed (or had mild symptoms) ..perhaps everyone dying from now however the death happened should be tested for the virus and they can be included in the WuFlu death toll too ?

• Like 1

Think it more likely that the other Krabi hotels dont want to open up with all the corresponding expenses just for a very low occupancy rate. Just interesting following the seething debate on lockdowns. Lockdowns obviously work, I'm certainly not denying that. They are however extremely blunt, untargeted and costly tools. No one here that is backing lockdown is mentioning the most successful country in the world containing Covid, Taiwan, where no lockdown was necessary. And yes, there are unique factors of course. But most countries which had no choice locking down the first time to avoid crashing the health system should have used their initiative and followed Taiwan and others of that ilk, from then on. Instead in Australia at least and elsewhere I suspect, the well paid public health people normally content to do f***all went back to that, resting on their laurels. Now here we are again.

Edited by Bluetongue

New day new rules for tourists. How can any tourist even make a plan to come? The latest idea being floated is that potential tourists isolate themselves at home before they fly to Thailand. So if this stupid idea flies there will be an effective 4 week quarantine period if you want to visit Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TAT have make so many nice plans to get foreigner back here! They annouce every week new nice promo, then few days after they make poll (85% Thais don't want foreigner back)! They have Phuket "plan" but they don't have enough ASQ rooms for that!

They say foreigner need come here whit charter flight , BUT CHARTER FLIGHT CAN'T LAND IN COUNTRY!

Foreigner need use sht load of money to come here , still they only want give them "jail" time in nice ASQ hotel! And in other hand they kick out thousand's foreigner from here!

If there is even one brain cell in somebodys head (floating in urine) , they ask from some kid's 2-5 years old WHAT WE SHOULD DO!?

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2

And the wheels on the bus go round and round ....

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. They are in a catch 22 situation as are most countries. Now take the UK as an example, absolute catastrophic number coming in now due to lack of evasive action early.  No one is coming to Thailand with quarantine and other restrictions in place ... period.  Until a safe vaccine is found & quarantine lifted you can forget about tourism.  imo

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

From Friday through Sunday every weekend the hotel's parking lot fills up with cars bearing Bangkok number plates, the drivers and their primarily female passengers flooding the lobby.

I can corroborate this.  But there are also lots of “tour groups of Thais” here.  And another reason is that the weather here is excellent right now, whilst Bangkok remains very hot.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Highly contagious pandemic = 80% of infected dead IMHO (not .065% dead).

This is a trivial illness that everyone will get, and hardly anyone would normally worry about.

Same as colds, flu, herpes, HPV ............... et al.

Anybody who mixes the contagion rate with the fatality rate should keep their opinions to themselves perhaps ? Especially when they compound their statistical ignorance by mixing the percentages of infected with the percentages of the total population....or was that a deliberate distortion ? Approx 24 million cases have been resolved one way or another, nearly one million dead and the rest are cured. That is far more than 0.065% fatality rate !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1 Million deaths, world population 8 billion.

If it's only managed to kill 1 million in 8 months, it isn't significant.

Any serious pandemic would have already killed 400 million or more.

(Spanish Flu got 5% of the world population, Black Death got 50% of the world population)

As for the 'serious impacts later' you've gotta be really stupid to believe that nonsense.

I'm impressed (not) with your ability to confuse facts..

Why would you reach the conclusion that world population is relevant? It's the percentage of deaths from total infections that has any meaning.

Logic 101.

And you have irrefutable facts to back up your assertion that there are no on-going health impacts on survivors?

Got to have your ducks in a row before you label an assertion Stupid..

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, torturedsole said:

A very sad state of affairs.

Hotels aren't satellite outposts operating autonomously. There's management and the mid to lower rungs, middle office, back office, front of house, cleaners, facilities and suppliers of a multitude of products and those reliant on the suppliers and it goes on.  

Six months of global lockdown is way past the point of no return.  

And then to top it off - reject foreigners, which I've got to assume means that they'll reject foreigners who are already in the country on long stay.  We'll have to make sure to check on that ahead of time when we travel this high season - well, not that they'll be any shortages of hotel, but perhaps a shortage of hotels not practicing racial discrimination.

"We're dying of hunger......but we refuse to eat THAT food." 

So be it.  Hotels will fold.  Some will eventually be bought for a discount. Others may never open again.  But, those who hold on to their xenophobic fear of 'dirty' foreigners are in all reality allowing their own racism to hammer in the last of the nails into their economic coffins.  I don't have a lot of sympathy for that class of business people. Given the economic conditions, smart businesses would be courting any customer willing to visit their establishments.  It's a buyers market kids.

• Like 2

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

If they didn't test for it like Thailand the death rate would be negligible and heaps of people would have died of viral pneumonia.Simple really it's just a flu. 

3 out of 4 of my family had it in Thailand.

Nobody wanted to test us for some reason.

My misses was the worst, was sweating on the sofa for 10 days.

I was the longest, bit of a cough and a blocked ear for 2 months.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, connda said:

And then to top it off - reject foreigners, which I've got to assume means that they'll reject foreigners who are already in the country on long stay.  We'll have to make sure to check on that ahead of time when we travel this high season - well, not that they'll be any shortages of hotel, but perhaps a shortage of hotels not practicing racial discrimination.

"We're dying of hunger......but we refuse to eat THAT food." 

So be it.  Hotels will fold.  Some will eventually be bought for a discount. Others may never open again.  But, those who hold on to their xenophobic fear of 'dirty' foreigners are in all reality allowing their own racism to hammer in the last of the nails into their economic coffins.  I don't have a lot of sympathy for that class of business people. Given the economic conditions, smart businesses would be courting any customer willing to visit their establishments.  It's a buyers market kids.

No way will we reject foreigners who are already here- I have some booked for this weekend. We will however not jump through the hoops and expensive regulations necessary to join the government scheme in the vague hope that we might pick up one or two of the very small number allowed in from outside Thailand - and then lose our regular business. Would you choose to stay in a hotel that was allowing people straight off an overseas flight to occupy the room next to you? Yes, hotels will fold, mine might too, but I'm not going to throw good money after bad to support a scheme that has little or no impact and no chance of succeeding. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

3 out of 4 of my family had it in Thailand.

Nobody wanted to test us for some reason.

My misses was the worst, was sweating on the sofa for 10 days.

I was the longest, bit of a cough and a blocked ear for 2 months.

Not worth destroying the economy for, is it?

If we never noticed Covid the world would be a much safer place with a bright future ahead of it.

People can't get their heads around the damage the lockdown has done because it hasn't yet been realised. The bad news is in the post.

The Thai government may not be in a rush to fix tourism because a lack of access for tourists is masking the deep problems Covid has created for the world economy, and how much that will reduce the standard of living.

A lot of governments are quietly getting ready for huge social upheavals.

• Like 2