Fear and confusion in Thailand’s tourism industry as near-bankrupt hotels decline foreign tourists

webfact

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

3 out of 4 of my family had it in Thailand.

Nobody wanted to test us for some reason.

My misses was the worst, was sweating on the sofa for 10 days.

I was the longest, bit of a cough and a blocked ear for 2 months.

Patient under Investigation i asuume ?

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The current plan on Samui and Phuket, is to release prisoners from their rooms after 7 days. Then seven more days within the resort confines. Then a release into the island population with a zombie wristband. All at a very high premium over the ordinary prices of hotels, which are quite low now. Appealing? Not for most. Only makes sense if you are planning on coming here for many months. What percentage of the general tourism population does that represent? Nonsensical stupidity. Rules based on a lack of science. Fear mongering. Let us make your stay as uncomfortable as possible. And by the way, you cannot consume alcohol either, during your quarantine. Who comes up with this stuff, and why does the nation tolerate the nonsense, the utter incompetence, the malfeasance? How much longer will they tolerate the extremely regressive army? The toxic army is despised like never before. They have over extended their welcome. They need to go, and the sooner, the better. They know that. We know that. 

What can one say? Desperation is setting in. Heads are going to roll. Just returned from Samui. Utter devastation. 90% of the businesses on the beach road were closed, and hundreds of hotels are closed and for sale, at half price. Trillions of baht are going to be lost here. Annually. Tourism will NEVER recover. Not in our lifetimes. Too much timidity. Too much cowardice. Too little juice and creativity. Such small minds. 

And now, the few remaining tourists here are being asked to leave? They should be given free visas, and 10,000 baht vouchers to stay! Commendation letters too. And for incoming tourists, free quarantine. All expenses, including meals, picked up by the army, using their multi trillion baht slush fund. 

My guess is that about 90% of the population supports the youth, this time around. Go Prayuth go. You are no longer needed, wanted, or even remotely productive. 

Well said even if a bit harsh. 

The inability of the Thai decision makers to think and plan at least 2 steps ahead is truly bewildering. Painted themselves into a corner through fearmongering, hysteria and xenophobia for a short term political gain only to ruin the economy and well-being of millions upon millions as the result. It's been obvious for a long time there was no end-game for this strategy. 

Doing the right thing at this point would mean losing face big time which not gonna happen with their mentality. Those rulers need to go and quickly. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

None of that happened to me, the misses or my kid when we caught it.

You forgot the largest numbers

3. 10,000 people will suffer no serious or lasting effects.

4. 100,000 people will catch it and have no visible symptoms.

Your list of outcomes is entirely faulty, and you have confirmed my opinion of you.

You didnt actually catch it though , you just had a cough for a few days , which is quite common in CM during the burning season 

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

Anybody who mixes the contagion rate with the fatality rate should keep their opinions to themselves perhaps ? Especially when they compound their statistical ignorance by mixing the percentages of infected with the percentages of the total population....or was that a deliberate distortion ? Approx 24 million cases have been resolved one way or another, nearly one million dead and the rest are cured. That is far more than 0.065% fatality rate !

You are forgetting the unreported number. They are at least 10 times the reported ones, imho. Maybe 20 times. The mortality rate of the corona, according to leading scientists from Stanford, Harvard, etc., is between 0.1 and 0.4 percent. Seasonal flu is 0.1.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You mean six months of Thailand lockdown. The world has mostly moved on and there is limited tourism going on in Europe and America. Thai government has managed to destroy this sector for at least the next few years.

Nonsense. First of all, Thailand isn't locked down...it's completely open domestically just the borders are hermetically sealed.

And no, the world hasn't mostly moved on. The majority of the world remains closed or restricted. There is tourism going on domestically in Thailand and in Europe it's being impacted again by new restrictions such as Hungary closing completely for foreigners once again. And Poland not allowing French arrivals in, so you have to get creative and travel via Germany and such things.

The world is far from back to normal. 

19 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I think you are wrong - six months for those with no saving I will agree with. The rest with savings and managing to strive to get to the high season will be destroyed by March 2021 with not tourism. So, 6 months for those not prepared and 12 months for those that tried.

All I see is Thais either poor, destitute or ignoring the fact their country is about to dramatically slide down the Asian pecking order

You mean all I saw whilst you were here. Right?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I think you are wrong - six months for those with no saving I will agree with. The rest with savings and managing to strive to get to the high season will be destroyed by March 2021 with not tourism. So, 6 months for those not prepared and 12 months for those that tried.

All I see is Thais either poor, destitute or ignoring the fact their country is about to dramatically slide down the Asian pecking order

"To get to the high season"? Good luck with that one.