Fear and confusion in Thailand’s tourism industry as near-bankrupt hotels decline foreign tourists

webfact

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Well go bankrupt then.

They will go bankrupt anyway, whether they accept foreign tourists or not.

According to TAT, https://www.tatnews.org/2020/09/thai-cabinet-approves-special-tourist-visa-for-long-staying-visitors/

The policy is expected to become effective after the official announcement and will be available until 30 September, 2021

So better just shut down today, as @RichardColeman was saying, and minimize the losses.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:06 AM, GeorgeCross said:

currently 968,905 (dead) people beg to differ.

and thats with lockdowns, nobody knows just how huge that number could have been by now if we had left deniers like yourself in charge.

hmmm, Sweden comes to mind... ???

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think you are wrong - six months for those with no saving I will agree with. The rest with savings and managing to strive to get to the high season will be destroyed by March 2021 with not tourism. So, 6 months for those not prepared and 12 months for those that tried.

All I see is Thais either poor, destitute or ignoring the fact their country is about to dramatically slide down the Asian pecking order

I don't think it's a competition, but Indonesia, the Philippines and now Myanmar are under very tough new lockdowns that will destroy their economies and could well impact them more negatively than Thailand once all of this is over. That is, assuming Thailand's economy starts improving from here on, as a BP article suggested today, with a slight upward revision in the expected GDP loss, which, although minor, is at least a small sign things could start improving a little from here. 

Also, Cambodia and Myanmar are doing it very tough - no wonder migrants from these countries continue to risk it and enter Thailand illegally...because there are no jobs in their country. 

Thailand is doing it tough mainly due to relying way too much on tourism. If that can be rectified, then similar future shocks can be lessened. 

• Like 1