Bangkok: Mother and child die after drunk driving father is denied insurance claim

webfact

Bangkok: Mother and child die after drunk driving father is denied insurance claim

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A drunk driver who was denied an insurance claim by an assessor drove off with his wife and child in a pick-up and crashed into a tree and power pole on Ratchadapisek Road at 1 am this morning. 

His actions resulted in the death of both his wife and child. 

Police at the accident near a bend outside the foreign trade department found a horrific scene.

A one year old child was thrown out and suffered devastating head injuries. A car seat was on the road and a children's bike and toys were scattered all around. 

Also apparently ejected from the Ford Raptor four door vehicle was a woman aged 29 in a grievous condition. She died shortly after being taken to hospital.

The thirty year old male driver at the scene was dazed and so drunk he was unable to communicate. 

Sanook reported that earlier he had had a scrape in Soi Seua Yai and had called an insurance assessor. 

The assessor had refused to accept the claim because he was drunk. The assessor advised him to drive carefully.

The father then drove off with the assessor following because they both happened to be going the same way. 

The assessor said that he saw the pick-up swerving from one side to the other and suspected that the occupants were arguing. 

Then the collision occurred.

The father is also in hospital with police waiting for an explanation of his actions. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-22

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Happened to me years ago... 

I was young and stupid. I’d ridden to the bar...  come closing time I can hardly remember trying to leave. 

I woke the next day my bike was not at home. I went back to the bar is was parked inside. 

The local motorcycle boys had seen me trying to get on the bike. They stopped me and took me home. 

Meanwhile others wheeled the bike inside the bar for safekeeping. 

Great guys and they probably saved me an accident or worse - that was the last time I rode my bike when heading out, it was an extremely stupid thing to do (I was 22 yrs old).

--------

I used to give my Thai Friends hell for drink driving, ultimately it has little effect on them. They still do it. 

--------

We’ve taken car keys off a friends FIL who was clearly too drunk to drive. It's difficult treating someone 20 years older than you this way, but it has to be done. The problem is now, when we are all at someones house and it's time to go they just ‘quietly disappear’ and then we notice they have driven home. 

Amongst Thai’s there is no social responsibility for each other, especially when it comes to DUI. 

In the Example of the OP the Insurance assessor didn't called the Police, but instead enabled the drunk to drive and kill his family. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragically 2 lives lost, because of an irresponsible drunken man, heart breaking reading.

Carnage like this will continue until people accept that driving while drunk is wrong.

Easy to say now, but why did the insurance man not call the police, or even try to prevent the clown from driving away?

Should have taken his keys to prevent him driving. Probably never occurred to him in Safety First Thailand.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The father needs a long prison term,so he can be there and reflect

what his reckless and selfish actions did to his family,if he even

cares,if he did ,he would not have been driving them while <deleted>*d.

seems to have been well over the limit.

RIP the Mother and young daughter.

regards Worgeordie

Its the Moron of an Insurance assessor that also needs to go to Prison also for not taking the Guys Ignition Keys and informing the Police of his Drunk Driving.

And the Authorities wonder why so many people Die on the roads every year 

RIP Mom and Baby

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I can see the flawed logic now: I won't grass him up because he's my client.

edit: The more I think about it, the assessor should be arrested for encouraging a drunk driver to drive a vehicle.

Sadly not his job , The wife should've done something instead of to let her husband drive. too late now . 

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Its the Moron of an Insurance assessor that also needs to go to Prison also for not taking the Guys Ignition Keys and informing the Police of his Drunk Driving.

And the Authorities wonder why so many people Die on the roads every year 

RIP Mom and Baby

It is probably not the first time this guy has been driving while under the influence.

You take their keys and they take out a gun.

Why are sooo many idiot drivers gun owners?Because they have to protect themselves from

other people whom they offend.

Very easy really.

Notify the police?This is Thailand,you would have to pay them to do anything.

9 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

The assessor didn't notify the police that there was a drunk man driving, and causing collisions, in a pick-up truck with a woman and young child?

Great work. 

....and whom would he notify. Thai police operate behind the traffic cams, not on the road and only show up when there is an accident. Drunk driving is nothing more than a illegal u-turn here, and neither is enforced.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Indeed an other kill for alcohol such a fun social drug isnt it steven.

hmm ....  a bit like those yaba freaks who try machete the PEA or family from time to time.

Drugs are wrong and so is drink driving, but having a beer with friends is fine. 

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Sadly not his job , The wife should've done something instead of to let her husband drive. too late now . 

yes .... it's not the assessors fault, he's not going to get into an argument with the guy or family as it's not his business. She should have taken the keys, and if he threatened her or hit her then she should call the cops. That's what should have happened.