Retirement Visa: Scary Stuff?

So, immigration wants us all to use agents. I had no success trying to talk to them on September 1st about getting a retirement visa myself. I wanted a non immigrant 0 to start the process. I'm 61, and I brought financial documents to prove to them I have way more than the 800,000 baht in US accounts. I wanted to open a Thai bank account, transfer the money and start "seasoning" it. If I had been able to cross a border to get a non-immigrant 0, that, as I understand it, is what would have happened when I got back to Thailand. Instead, the officer told me that I needed the 800,000 in a Thai bank account to get the non immigrant 0. It's a lot of money to transfer for a visa I got the strong suspicion I wasn't going to get no matter what I did. In this office, they were denying everybody, no matter what kind of visa they were asking for.

I spoke to agents. They all said that they would do it all as one package. I would get the non immigrant 0 and retirement extension at once, 15 months, and all I would need to do is open an account, but not transfer the money. They would take care of it. I told them I wanted to do it the way it is normally done, as I had long planned to retire in Thailand and was just starting the process a few months earlier than I had planned. They said it was not possible.

I'm on an embassy letter extension and still may have the opportunity to get the agent visa. And then I looked through the forum's archives and found this about money laundering and retirement accounts:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1113659-immigration-checking-bank-accounts-officers-undergo-training-in-money-laundering/#comments

I had finally come around to the idea that a little bribe money (through an agent) might be necessary in these frightening times. But signing up for serious criminal activity? Is that what this is about? Turkey is looking more like the answer to my problems.  Comments? History?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

Just now, jacko45k said:

Both.... for the Non-Imm-O you must show it came from overseas, for the retirement extension, seasoned for 2 months here. 

Thanks. Question answered. How would I have done that if I got the non immigrant O out of the country? Would I have to come to Thailand, open the account and then shown the proof at an embassy in another country?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ehgnyc said:

Thanks. Question answered. How would I have done that if I got the non immigrant O out of the country? Would I have to come to Thailand, open the account and then shown the proof at an embassy in another country?

A non-Imm-O obtained at an Embassy would allow you just to show funds anywhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ehgnyc said:

Out of the country you do not need show money came from outside of Thailand.

You USA they do not provide non o retirement visas.

You would need non O from somewhere such as HCMC. No currently possible

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

You most likely entered Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa. From that entry you can obtain non o (retirement) inside Thailand at immigration. The main requirements are being over 50 and having 800k being in Thai bank. 

The non o gives you 90 days and prior to it's expiry you obtain annual extension.

For the extension the money needs to be in bank for 2 months and having come from overseas.

No offense but your asking this few days prior to amnesty. Quite possibly you have not opened a bank a/c at this point in time.

You mention USA. I suggest you email them NOW for embassy letter and go to immigration to obtain 30 day extension.

As far as the agents. They can obtain you the non o and extension and your stamps will be legit. 

However you have the money so can do it yourself. 

Thanks. I'm already on the embassy extension. This is about what to do next.

16 minutes ago, ehgnyc said:

For the non immigrant 0 part or the retirement extension?

Yes the money has to be in account to convert status to non immigrant O visa - but you also have to be here on a tourist or visa exempt entry to do so and it appears that may not be the case so another red flag.  Believe you were thinking of the 800k not having to be in the account for the required 2 months time for the conversion to non immigrant O visa - but it still has to be in account at time of application.

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Good. You have time to do the process yourself. One tricky bit might turn out to be the bank account. I assume you currently don't have Thai bank a/c?

No I don't. Any advice? I had one in Cambodia, but it was opened for me by my job. I asked at a few banks here and they said no. I hear it can be difficult for US citizens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

The visa process does not seem to get easier...every year brings more angst and problems at immigration...

It appears that an agent is the easiest way to keep from letting the Thai visa ruin your retirement...

Also, healthcare insurance may become problematic as you get older...

Good Luck!

If you mean retirement Extensions then things seemed to get sticky when some countries eliminated Embassy letters confirming income. The accommodation of showing 12 months income then seemed to spurn a change requiring bank deposit to be held for 12 months rather than 3.

My friends who use agents think I am crazy doing it by the book.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tonray said:

There are only a handful of offices where agents are 'connected' and these all unsurprisingly are mainly in Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai catering to foreigners of course who do not generally meet the published requirements of an extension. If you live under the jurisdiction of any other office, to use an agent wouyld require you to falsify your address as living in the region where the agent has 'connections'. This certainly does not indicate that Immigration wants us all to use agents. 

Would you add Koh Samui to the list? That's where I am. And yes, they are dealing with a lot of frantic foreigners. This is a process that I would have started in Phnom Penh, where I was living, in December if I hadn't wound up on this side of the border when the pandemic hit. There are challenges to doing a legitimate visa at this time. Thanks for your help.

Edited by ehgnyc
  • Like 2

Thanks for all your help. I think the answer is to find an agent who will point me towards a bank which will accept US citizens accounts, but allow me to deposit my own money. I am on extension and after September 26th it should get easier. My initial question was not really answered, but we can leave that for another time, or it is in the archives.