Visa for 75years old widower

Friend's thai wife passed away few days ago they were married for 10+ years.

May 2020, he had stocke. Now he is recovering  very good except for his speech.  Thai government insurance paid for everything, he only paid for private hospital room.

He was on OA visa but last December his agent change to marriage extension. 

He will not qualify for any medical insurance. 

Thank you for positive advice

Elite visa is not an option.

• Sad 1

He can stay until his current extension expires. No rush to do the new extension now.

If he can have the financial proof he can apply for a new extension based upon retirement.

If he is 75 or less he may be able to get insurance with a 200k baht deductible.

• Like 1

With this thai wife deceased (my condolences), he will not be able to extend the permission of stay of his Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of MARRIAGE. 

But he/you do not have to act immediately, as his current 1-year permission to stay will stay valid until it expires (December/January?).  When applying for his next 1-year permission to stay based on his Non Imm O-A Visa he can do this for reason of RETIREMENT.

Such application requires:

- Having 800K seasoned for at least 2 months on his personal Thai bank-account, at the moment of application;

- A Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy meeting IO requirements of 400K/40K in/out patient coverage and issued by a TGIA associated insurer, valid for and aligned with the 1-year extension of stay he is applying for.  As this insurance requirement is basically a thai insurer lobby-scam, it is recommended to opt for the dead-cheapest option, which is the LMG Insurance Plan 1 (with 200K deductible) policy that sells at an annual premium of 6.000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age brackets of 51 to 75 years.

If he is under 76 years when applying for the policy, he would be able to subscribe to it.  Also, that policy does not require a medical (but any underlying conditions he mentions in the application would be taken out of the policy coverage, which is fine as the policy is ONLY meant to meet the IO requirement and is not to be considered 'real' health-insurance).

>> I did PM you a Guideline document containing tips & caveats on how to apply for that Non Imm O-A compliant LMG Insurance policy.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CNX69 said:

Will he lose his Thai medical coverage? His wife was retired government teacher 

I was able to transfer all her money to his name only personal KasiKorn bank account. 

Are you the manager of her estate? I'd be extremely careful about initiating any funds transfers from a deceased persons banks accounts to whomever. Even with a will it takes just one jealous and disgruntled relative to cause a lot of problems.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Are you the manager of her estate? I'd be extremely careful about initiating any funds transfers from a deceased persons banks accounts to whomever. Even with a will it takes just one jealous and disgruntled relative to cause a lot of problems.

and the  sky will fall......................

Someday

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CNX69 said:

He is Irish with dual canadian citizenship. If no choice, he will go back to Canada. free medical for life, but he is stubborn  and i know he will not go back 

The “free” medical for life in Canada does not cover everything. Also medical coverage is run by the provinces, not the Canadian federal government. If he has been out of Canada for more than two or three years, his health coverage in Canada could very well be expired. 
    Example....in my province of Ontario, Canada....the federal Government in Ottawa has nothing to do with health coverage for Canadians. It’s strictly the jurisdiction of the provincial government.

My Ontario Health Card is good for only five years and MUST be renewed before expiration, or you lose coverage until you can get it renewed... if possible..by jumping through lots of hoops.

You are only allowed to be out of country a maximum of two years at a time..IF you notify them before flying out. If you leave for good to live in another country, you need to purchase local health insurance in your new country, or pay out of pocket for emergencies, or depend on the goodwill of the country or friends and relatives if you have no insurance at all. 
    Your friend ...if he has been in Thailand for 10+ years, could very well return to Canada and find his health coverage in Canada expired years ago. And it might be very difficult to get health coverage re-instated. Until then...he better have lots of cash in case of emergency, or covered by private insurance. 
   Best wishes and good luck.

Edited by Catoni
Addition

He will have to change to extension for reason of retirement. This will require local health insurance since his original visa was OA.

While he does not need to do anything in terms of extension until his permission to stay ends, as he is 75 he must take out insurance before he turns 76 as at that point none of the approved Thai insurers will issue a new policy after that age (though they will renew) , so if he will turn 76 before his permission to stay ends he should take out a policy now.

He may also have trouble getting coverage given the history of stroke so should in any case at least start looking now.

The only possible insurers on the Imm list for a 75 year old are:

LMG  https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

Pacific Cross  https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/longstay-visa/

Thaivivat  https://www.thaivivat.co.th/non-immigrant/

Bangkok Insurance  https://www.bangkokinsurance.com/long-stay-visa/

The first two are the most affordable, especially if a deductible (excess) is taken

• Like 1

Hi @CNX69

You probably missed my post #9, and the PM I did sent you (not opened/read yet).

>> I did PM you a Guideline document containing tips & caveats on how to apply for that Non Imm O-A compliant LMG Insurance policy.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

24 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi @CNX69

You probably missed my post #9, and the PM I did sent you (not opened/read yet).

Could you also PM it to me please

Thank You all. 

I am just a friend.  His bank account is in his name only and without ATM card. I was able to transfer money for his wife(joint account) because because he knows pin number and mobile app code. Have to wait until end of the month to see if Thai government will transfer her retirement money. 

He is doing very well except his spach and right hand shoulder. 

I went to immigration but boss was not there and girl told me that no one ever asked my question about insurance. She checked  all the papers. Everything looks ok, just need medical insurance. 

He is for Northern Ireland. His all family was gone before he moved to Canada. 

Please accept my apologies for not answering all questions. But i have some problems and my English is not so good. THANK YOU AGAIN 

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 1:06 PM, Sheryl said:

He will have to change to extension for reason of retirement. This will require local health insurance since his original visa was OA.

While he does not need to do anything in terms of extension until his permission to stay ends, as he is 75 he must take out insurance before he turns 76 as at that point none of the approved Thai insurers will issue a new policy after that age (though they will renew) , so if he will turn 76 before his permission to stay ends he should take out a policy now.

He may also have trouble getting coverage given the history of stroke so should in any case at least start looking now.

The only possible insurers on the Imm list for a 75 year old are:

LMG  https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

Pacific Cross  https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/longstay-visa/

Thaivivat  https://www.thaivivat.co.th/non-immigrant/

Bangkok Insurance  https://www.bangkokinsurance.com/long-stay-visa/

The first two are the most affordable, especially if a deductible (excess) is taken

Thank you very much. I phoned 2 insurance companies and they will send an English speaking agent.

I hope that immigration girl will phone me and tell me about his Thai soupes medical coverage. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

He can stay until his current extension expires. No rush to do the new extension now.

If he can have the financial proof he can apply for a new extension based upon retirement.

If he is 75 or less he may be able to get insurance with a 200k baht deductible.

In this case, would the 800K (if using that route) need to still come from outside Thailand and be wired in? 

48 minutes ago, DavisH said:

In this case, would the 800K (if using that route) need to still come from outside Thailand and be wired in? 

Since it would be an extension of his permission to stay, the money can be from anywhere. The basic requirement is that it must have been in his account with a continuous balance above 800,000 baht for two months at the time of the application for the extension. Further, there are requirements about keeping money in the account for the following 12 months.

• Like 1