Embassy letter for German citizens

German citizens are able to get an embassy letter (which you can use to apply for a 30 day extension at immigration) in these two cases:

- Non-O or non-B visa holder and you are mostly living in Thailand

- You usually live in a country which currently doesn't allow you to enter

They charge 40 Euro for this service, and it sounds like you have to pick it up in person.

The complete information in German: https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de/service/aktuelle-informationen/2320408

Edited by jackdd
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be in English. However remember you need an appointment to go inside the Embassy even as a German citizen. You can't just roll up there and demand to go to the counter.   What's real

I got an appointment already. They needed 5 days for giving an answer and now thanks to them the time is so close. I live in Isaan, for me it’s over 500km to Bangkok, which is the nearest Embassy. Can

What is so hard to understand. You live normally in a country that doesn't allow you to return at the moment and so you are trapped in Thailand. 

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

You usually live in a country which currently doesn't allow you to enter

What ?? This sounds stupid and wrong. You cannot be in Thailand if thai gov. doens't allow you to come. Tell the embasy to make another better logic reason to earn money from tourist they should protect. That is what embasy for. 

8 minutes ago, alianware said:

What ?? This sounds stupid and wrong. You cannot be in Thailand if thai gov. doens't allow you to come. Tell the embasy to make another better logic reason to earn money from tourist they should protect. That is what embasy for. 

What do you not understand? There are many countries which have their borders completely closed off, or are only open to their own citizens and nobody else (not even foreign residents of that country), or require approval prior to entry (like Singapore) which can take months to receive on its own!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, alianware said:

Let's say you are German, but are living and working in Australia. In March you made a holiday trip to Thailand, and then suddenly Australia closed the borders and you are not able to return there. In this case the German embassy will issue you such a letter.

• Like 1

If anybody of you guys try to get the letter: push them to send this letter with email like any other embassy, i am just trying the same already. This can’t be true that they want us to come there in person, have to fly to bangkok for that...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, thai999 said:

If anybody of you guys try to get the letter: push them to send this letter with email like any other embassy, i am just trying the same already. This can’t be true that they want us to come there in person, have to fly to bangkok for that...

Perhaps it's an official letter with a stamp/raised seal? If they won't budge on emails, try to convince them to post/courier it to you (offer to cover the costs yourself, of course).

9 minutes ago, thai999 said:

I think the problem isn't receiving the letter, in April they also sent them by email.

The problem is probably the payment, a bank transfer might be too sophisticated for them.

• Like 2

Sending by post would be to close for me too. Looks like I have to fly there tomorrow...

You guys think the letter will be in English? I wouldn’t be surprised if it is in German. There would be no time anymore to translate this because they would need a stamp from the Thai MFA...

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, thai999 said:

Sollten Sie sich derzeit in den Amtsbezirken der Honorarkonsulate Phuket und Pattaya aufhalten, beantragen Sie die Bescheinigung bitte per Mail an [email protected] bzw. [email protected].

I got an appointment already. They needed 5 days for giving an answer and now thanks to them the time is so close. I live in Isaan, for me it’s over 500km to Bangkok, which is the nearest Embassy. Can only fly. Taxi will take to long.

We are just like a dog for them, I hate them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
23 minutes ago, thai999 said:

Sending by post would be to close for me too.

If they sent it by courier (not post) tomorrow, regardless of where you are in Thailand you should receive it the next day. I doubt they would have an issue if you offered to pay all the costs yourself, but I think they want you in person because they may not be able to accept bank transfers from anyone and everyone (like most embassies) - hence requiring you to pay cash at their office.

8 minutes ago, thai999 said:

I got an appointment already. They needed 5 days for giving an answer and now thanks to them the time is so close. I live in Isaan, for me it’s over 500km to Bangkok, which is the nearest Embassy. Can only fly. Taxi will take to long.

We are just like a dog for them, I hate them. 

If you need any help send me a PM I don't live too far from the Embassy. Never expressed anything within Thailand so not sure how reliable that service is to reach you within 24h.

• Like 1