PM orders Thai authorities to seek Interpol’s help to apprehend Red Bull scion

webfact

16 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Think If were Interpol, I'd want some clarity first. Namely.

1. Why did you let him go.

2. Who was responsible for letting him go and what jil terms are they serving now.

3. Are you - or other bribable people - going to let him go yet again.

Mute point really anyway. No country would deport him to a military based country who's election was rigged by the junta and who carries the drath penalty

An interesting last point.

Does that mean that anyone arrested for murder based on a warrant to be tried in a US state which has the death penalty would not succeed?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

An interesting last point.

Does that mean that anyone arrested for murder based on a warrant to be tried in a US state which has the death penalty would not succeed?

As in the jihadi 'Beatles case' (although that related to releasing evidence)an extradition can be authorized if the state agrees that prosecutors will not seek the death penalty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

So how will the extradition work ? .. A Thai Police team go and get him ? ... then after 14 days in isolation in that Country, bring him back ... via what airline ? ... and then to the team and Redbull go into another 14 days isolation ... phew ... just the thought of it all ???????

The family have at least one private plane

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

This appears to be quite an interesting development

Lets hope for once Thailand is not all hot air and they do actually do the right thing this time. I know Red Bull products are being boycotted by an ever increasing number of people (including myself). I don't want to buy a product where the proceeds of which are being used to pay off certain corrupt authorities allowing this guy to escape justice. I think it is rare when a normal member of society can make a real difference tackling corruption of the wealthy but in this instance people can and they are doing so. Lets see how it develops..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

The  threat  of  revolution getting  very real  

Must  try  something to win  but the people

Too little  too late  bro ...  they  forget  interpol  can be  corrupt  too  if enough  reward 

Good  Luck Thailand

I have not heard that Interpol is corrupt? Are you sure? Of course there can be corruption anywhere but fundamentally I would think Interpol cannot be paid off to turn a blind eye,, at least I hope so.

3 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Here my 2 cents to the current development in the Red Bull case:

In general, Thai justice is a very simple thing. Forget all the Thai legal codes, especially the criminal code with its laws similar to rubber bands. They are not worth the paper they are written on. The real law in Thailand is the unwritten law of Sakdina! The courts always decide in favor of the more powerful and more rich people. Very simple concept of law indeed.

However, it becomes more interesting when not only Sakdina is involved, which I call the "vertical dimension". One should be aware that the elite is only unified against all those they locate in a lower position of the Sakdina pyramide. Then they all speak the very same language. But there is a "horizontal dimension" as well! The elite itself is not unified. There are different factions, opposing each other, fighting harshly against each other for the pole position.

Till a few years ago, 2 or 3 years, the most powerful faction was the one in which Prawit and his adjudants PM Prayut and Anupong are members. Looking how the Red Bull brat was protected during the last 8 years, his family might (might!) also be a member of this faction.

In the meantime, another faction became the most powerful, in which the generals Apirat and Narongphan (see the coming reshuffle of the army), but also Anutin and his family (Sinothai), Thamanat (the convicted drug dealer), and the King Power-family are members.

Now as an interesting observation, if as an example you look at the hassles which Premchai (Italthai) has been facing after he shot the black panther, one can assume that he is neither member of the first nor of the second of the factions mentioned above. Remember how outraged the Prayut government was about Premchai, beginning of 2018? It was so convenient for Prayut and Prawit at this time, to distract the attention of the populace from the other big scandal at this time, which was related to expensive watches. But, also keep in mind that Italthai and Sinothai are competitors. So, not sure about the final sentence for Premchai. It will not be as harsh as for mushroom picking by commoners, however.

So, what will happen now to the Red Bull brat might depend also how the most powerful faction estimates the public outrage resulting from the different options of a verdict. At least it seems that someone else became quite aware of that issue of public outrage, and took over the steering wheel in this case a few weeks ago. Someone from a faction to which Red Bull is not so closely associated.

Interesting to observe this and its outcome from an alien perspective.

Hakka, Hokkien, Hailamese, Teochiew.......... Take your pick which team's winning.....   

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed authorities to coordinate with Interpol to issue a Red Notice for Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya to have him provisionally arrested and held, pending extradition back to Thailand to stand trial on charges related to an eight year old fatal hit-and-run case.

Around in another circle.

5 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

What happened, did the brown envelopes stop ?

I think it is the boycotting of Red Bull products. It certainly has momentum here in the UK and a lot of my friends in Australia so looks like it is spreading, even if sales are down 10% over Covid they will be feeling the loss.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

No. I remember, and I posted about it a week ago.

The first time it took the RTP two weeks to translate the paperwork from Thai to English.

Then it went to Interpol, who put it on their website.

A couple of months later our man in Ferrari mysteriously disappeared from the Interpol website.

I do not know if it's up to the issuing country to request the arrest of someone wanted by Interpol, to the country the 'fugitive' is residing? If that's the case, you'd imagine the RTP wouldn't lift a finger.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can put me right.

Interpol is actually more of an intelligence gathering organization. Officers and agents assigned to Interpol have no arrest authority. If they do locate the subject of a Red Notice, they will notify both the country that issued the warrant and the country in which the subject has been located. It is then up to those two nations to work things out as far as arrest,extradition, etc. If the two countries have an extradition treaty between them, then things should move fairly smoothly. If there is no extradition treaty then it could be a problem

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't agree, these ideas of justice, duty, honour, morality and atonement are (white) Christian concepts.

If you've got the money to get away with it, in a corrupt country, why not?

Really? You cannot see how damaging this kind of corruption can be for society? Educate yourself.

1 hour ago, British Bulldog said:

So how will the extradition work ? .. A Thai Police team go and get him ? ... then after 14 days in isolation in that Country, bring him back ... via what airline ? ... and then to the team and Redbull go into another 14 days isolation ... phew ... just the thought of it all ???????

Don’t forget all the extradition appeals before anyone can bring him back. Sorry, this hullabaloo by P sounds like a lot of p$&s and wind blown in by Noul 

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

What a sad state of affairs when the chief of government personally has to chase up and "order" the national police force to actually do their job.

Well, they reluctantly tried it once with Interpol. And it turned out an utter failure involving a lot of foot dragging on behalf of the Thais. So perhaps it's necessary to apply some pressure from above after all.

It truly is a sad state of affairs when the PM starts taking advice from the Thaivisa website on how to bring a fugitive to justice.

The PM needs to get rid of all of his "advisers" as they haven't come up with a solution in eight years. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Retfed50 said:

Interpol is actually more of an intelligence gathering organization. Officers and agents assigned to Interpol have no arrest authority. If they do locate the subject of a Red Notice, they will notify both the country that issued the warrant and the country in which the subject has been located. It is then up to those two nations to work things out as far as arrest,extradition, etc. If the two countries have an extradition treaty between them, then things should move fairly smoothly. If there is no extradition treaty then it could be a problem

That is true. Interpol acts in "Interpol member nations", the member nations have agreed to pay a fee to fund Interpol. So generally speaking a Red Notice is enough to raise a local arrest warrant, but sometimes more information is needed I believe. However generally speaking if you have a Red notice hanging over your head you are going to be seeing the inside of a prison cell pretty soon awaiting extradition.

5 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

He's probably hiding in the safest country in the world where no one will ever find him.... Thailand. 

I wouldn't rule it out. He looks and speaks Thai, and getting a new set of Thai ID documents in another name should be quite affordable for someone with his means.

• Like 2