In country visas, apparently

My school down south just had us cancel our old work permits visas, get a stamp and then come back to town. One of my coworkers has already gotten his new work permit and expects to get his non-b soon. So some places are doing in country work permits and our visas are now fine? I didn't see this anywhere on the news. Not sure what to make of it as this seems like big news. And obviously if its not quite true, I will need to get the extension immediately and things have run less than smoothly up til now so, again, I am skeptical. Thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, teacherc137 said:

So some places are doing in country work permits

Work permits are always done in country.

4 minutes ago, teacherc137 said:

My school down south just had us cancel our old work permits visas

You seem to be somehow confused. Work permit visa? These are two different things.

What are you trying to say?

I am indeed confused. My coworker got his work permit, ok that's always done in-country, but he also just got some sort of extension, seemingly for a year, as it says in the work permit, and his passport has that little white square TM 7 paper that says he has to check in again in December. So that isn't a 30 day extension, clearly. But what is it and if he didn't have to leave the country, doesn't that mean they are now doing, at least sort-of, in country visas?

1 hour ago, teacherc137 said:

I am indeed confused. My coworker got his work permit, ok that's always done in-country, but he also just got some sort of extension, seemingly for a year, as it says in the work permit, and his passport has that little white square TM 7 paper that says he has to check in again in December. So that isn't a 30 day extension, clearly. But what is it and if he didn't have to leave the country, doesn't that mean they are now doing, at least sort-of, in country visas?

He probably got a one year extension for working. The little white square paper is probably the note that he has to do a 90 day report in 90 days, which would December. If he just got this extension, this means he was on a non-immigrant visa already.