Chiang Mai: Stagnant property market as northern city battles for survival

webfact

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I still enjoy living in Chiang Mai.

Had a lovely 7Km walk through the jungle up to the viewpoint on the way to Wat Doi Suthep, then back down through Wat Palaat.

Weather was nice, air was clean, the company was good ...... tired now.

Did notice the many 'for rent' signs along Nimman as I drove past.

Not sure there's much for sale, the owners of that road like to keep a tight hold.

Have you thought about joining Facebook ?

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I still enjoy living in Chiang Mai.

Had a lovely 7Km walk through the jungle up to the viewpoint on the way to Wat Doi Suthep, then back down through Wat Palaat.

Weather was nice, air was clean, the company was good ...... tired now.

Did notice the many 'for rent' signs along Nimman as I drove past.

Not sure there's much for sale, the owners of that road like to keep a tight hold.

Is the trail(head) still "blocked"? 

On 9/23/2020 at 8:59 AM, Jimbo2014 said:

Your joking right.... you havnt noticed the pollution?  Oh right you have condos to rent (ok Ill keep quite but lets hope noone checks the pollution maps this year!).

I refer to my condos being fully rented, pollution or no pollution. 

On 9/27/2020 at 1:27 PM, BobBKK said:

I refer to my condos being fully rented, pollution or no pollution. 

Im glad thus far your condos are rented fully.  Certainly a positive population growth has been maintained but is declining towards zero.  I know many Expats who just cannot stay there any longer through the pollution season and are moving.  Its the same for Bangkok and the whole north but sadly you have more forests left to burn and clear the way for agricultural land in the far north.   I think if the Thai government allows burning season for a few more years with the current five to six month window, then the damage to Thailand's image as a tourist, health and retirement destination, combined with the high price of the Baht, will kill tourism etc. north of Prachuap Khiri Khan.  I hope its worth it for them so save a few baht on harvesting and clearing.

Edited by Jimbo2014
  • Thanks 1

Sad. CM was always going to be hit bad since it relies heavily on tourism. China is wholly to blame for ruining the Rose of the North... and the rest of the world. By China I mean its government and the culture that would foster this. The world should gather and sue their a$$ for damages. They've made enough off of everyone to afford pay back. If not, the place should be sent to Coventry. Pipe dream of course since the politicians, elites (or whatever) and associated doogooders have their me-me agenda.

rant over. :whistling:

On 9/22/2020 at 7:39 PM, Jimbo2014 said:

It was a beautiful city.... once.  Now for 6 months a year the air is un-breathable, development from tourism has been the usual uncontrolled debacle.   The fate of Chang Mai was already decided before the pandemic hit.  Chang Rai is going the same way given its unlivable for about 6 months during the annual pollution apocalypse of Thailand.  

Well said. Pattaya at least had a vibrant night life despite being a similar broken infrastructure dump, while C M doesn't have a night life worth speaking of, IMO.

I have no idea what the city council spent money on, but it wasn't on fixing broken pavements or removing unused telephone boxes blocking the pavements. They couldn't even put enough pedestrian crossing lights on the moat road to enable pedestrians to cross safely.

Loi Kroh was a disgusting example of neglect, IMO, and a traffic management plan obviously did not exist.

As for the rip off red songtheaws, and the airport parking......................................

The air pollution is just one of the many problems making C M an unattractive place to live, IMO.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. Pattaya at least had a vibrant night life despite being a similar broken infrastructure dump, while C M doesn't have a night life worth speaking of, IMO.

Chiang Mai has an excessive amount of 'night life'.

Maybe not as many foreigner orientated 'hooker bars' as Pattaya, but there's eating and drinking and womanising going on everywhere, every night. Mainly young Thai students, but they don't seem to mind the odd elderly white guy joining in.

Photo October 1st ..... 'odd elderly white guy' under the red arrow.

Looks fairly busy to me, live band as well.

Masks?

Social distancing?

120250880_3489376181153322_7228241676165075922_o.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Chiang Mai has an excessive amount of 'night life'.

Maybe not as many foreigner orientated 'hooker bars' as Pattaya, but there's eating and drinking and womanising going on everywhere, every night. Mainly young Thai students, but they don't seem to mind the odd elderly white guy joining in.

Photo October 1st ..... 'odd elderly white guy' under the red arrow.

Looks fairly busy to me, live band as well.

Masks?

Social distancing?

120250880_3489376181153322_7228241676165075922_o.jpg

Most, I'm sure would know I was referring to western type night life. My wife used to drag me to Thai nightclubs but I couldn't take the volume and to save my hearing I stopped going.

I don't consider eating to be "nightlife" nor shopping at the night market.  I lived next to Loi Kroh, and it was more a bad joke than anything resembling night life.

On 10/5/2020 at 12:42 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Most, I'm sure would know I was referring to western type night life. My wife used to drag me to Thai nightclubs but I couldn't take the volume and to save my hearing I stopped going.

I don't consider eating to be "nightlife" nor shopping at the night market.  I lived next to Loi Kroh, and it was more a bad joke than anything resembling night life.

Most of them play western music, to even be more specific 70s and 80s as well Rock in CM. Not clubs with screaming isaan music, if that is what you mean. The difference better explained is that you simply won't find girls to sleep with at every corner, and that not any girl working as a hostess is a girl to sleep with, in CM. 

Actually it is kind of a pussy scene as it is all about being around pretty girls in CM but few ever get laid with them.

Edited by ChaiyaTH