Tesco / Big C - Credit Cards

i believe that Makro accepts the Citibank Makro co-branded credit card (note that my experience and observation is that other Citibank Thai and foreign issued Citibank cards aren’t accepted- only the Thai-issued Citi Makro card)

As far as Tesco & Big C goes... i have always used both my Thai-bank and foreign bank issued Visa & MC cards at both — but i seem to recall Amex was problematic; but i tend not to use my amex cards as they have FTFs (i have a few of their non AF-bearing cards and not the higher level cards, thus the FTF is applied)

Edited by new2here
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Don't most foreign cards it you with a 3% transaction fee when used overseas ?

Depends on the bank.  Contract terms when you apply for a card will state if that is the case.  I have one foreign credit card with no FTF and it pays me back 2% on ALL purchases.  Local merchants sometimes add their own fee for accepting a credit card for a purchase.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Many US credit cards do not have a foreign transaction fee. My Capital One, HSBC and Chase cards have no foreign transaction fees, but my Citibank card does if I use it overseas. An added bonus of using a credit card is that many US credit cards also have cash back features (e.g., the Capital One cash back credit card gives 1 percent back for nearly all purchases). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

Many US credit cards do not have a foreign transaction fee. My Capital One, HSBC and Chase cards have no foreign transaction fees, but my Citibank card does if I use it overseas. An added bonus of using a credit card is that many US credit cards also have cash back features (e.g., the Capital One cash back credit card gives 1 percent back for nearly all purchases). 

Hmm...I'll have to check my Chase card....I can use that for lots of stuff if there's no extra fees...and get cash back

• Like 1

19 hours ago, johng said:

Makro only excepts one brand of credit card  the name eludes me at the moment.

Makro accepts both my Citibank Visa and Mastercard credit cards. Have used Citibank for the last 25 years here, never a problem in Thailand where they accept credit cards.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Makro accepts both my Citibank Visa and Mastercard credit

Well that's news to me,  I'll try to remember to check/ask next time I'm at Makro  last time I asked at my local Makro just a couple of months ago it was only one card,  name of which still eludes me but could well be Union Pay (Chinese)

No issues whatsoever using several different foreign credit cards at Lotus, Big C, Tops, Villa, Foodland, Home Pro, etc. Makro is a different story, but that has nothing to do with foreign vs. Thai - it's just because they only accept cards from Citibank due to their affiliation with that bank. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

This is a very good question.  That 3% is a real deal, and adds up, but only about half of my credit cards charge it. I have several and always ask the card company if they charge an Intternational Conversion Fee. If they do I make it a point no to use their card and use some others that I know have NO FEE. My experience applies only to USA cards.... I have No experience with other countries......

2 hours ago, tonray said:

My bank charges for cash transactions .196.37% ???? and using my credit card is a good way to use my money in UK bank instead of my Thai money,  most Thai places don't charge if over 300 bht the only one I know that charges extra is Global House but it's small compared to getting money from a ATM.

40 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

And don't forget that the 'exchange Rate' you get on a credit card is higher by about 20-25 satang than the Thai Money Changer booths on the street.... Even more valuable than the 1-2%

have charged something on my card and gome home to look on the computer... My charge is posted on my online account within seconds as a 'pending' charge... Then I look at the baht value at th moment and d the Math.... My Credit card was exchanged at the 'TT Rate' which is considerable higher than the dollar exchange rate.... SO THAT is an additional benefit to using your card overseas.

16 minutes ago, tonray said:

How can it cost me...if indeed as another poster has said there are no extra fees and I am spending money there in any case ?

Somehow It works differently.... Getting cash back on a credit Card or credit/debit card throws you into a different catagory than just a merchandise purchase.......

UT... Don't need to believe me - that is ok.... GO to a store and tr i, thn go home a  your account online....

11 minutes ago, kensawadee said:

And don't forget that the 'exchange Rate' you get on a credit card is higher by about 20-25 satang than the Thai Money Changer booths on the street.... Even more valuable than the 1-2%

have charged something on my card and gome home to look on the computer... My charge is posted on my online account within seconds as a 'pending' charge... Then I look at the baht value at th moment and d the Math.... My Credit card was exchanged at the 'TT Rate' which is considerable higher than the dollar exchange rate.... SO THAT is an additional benefit to using your card overseas.

That has not been my experience, unless you allow the merchant to charge you in a foreign currency instead of Baht. 

On a 9,004 Baht charge on August 23, my Chase credit card charge was 287.03. On that day the XE exchange rate was .03166, which equates to 285.06. A one percent cashback is $2.85 and a two percent cashback is $5.74

39 minutes ago, kensawadee said:

Somehow It works differently.... Getting cash back on a credit Card or credit/debit card throws you into a different catagory than just a merchandise purchase.......

UT... Don't need to believe me - that is ok.... GO to a store and tr i, thn go home a  your account online....

I have no idea what you're talking about. You accumulate points with your purchases and then redeem those points for a cash rebate or credit to your bill. Done it for years and years and years. Perhaps you're referring to non USA cards ?

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Citibanks cards are accepted. When buying online Makro accepts several other banks credit/debit cards. See the screenshot below. 

Ok thanks for that   so only Citibank in the store but others accepted when buying online...why not accept them all in the stores ????

4 hours ago, khunjeff said:

No issues whatsoever using several different foreign credit cards at Lotus, Big C, Tops, Villa, Foodland, Home Pro, etc. Makro is a different story, but that has nothing to do with foreign vs. Thai - it's just because they only accept cards from Citibank due to their affiliation with that bank. 

My Makro store will accept Citibank and American Express and for electrical goods any credit card..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

Both accept foreign credit cards with no fee. You will have to check if your card charges an additional foreign transaction fee of up to 3%. I have a UK Halifax Clarity Card, this is a no fee card with near perfect exchange rates based on the Mastercard rate.

• Like 1