Are Nana and Cowboy still dead?

Keyser Soze666

Nana 80% open, Cowboy 60% open. Obviously being so few punters you will have unlimited choice of 

some entertainment as the girls are hungry.

If wanting some sanity head for a small bar say Soi 6 where can enjoy as little or as much without being attacked 555

On 9/23/2020 at 8:08 AM, thonglorjimmy said:

You told us that you lived in Hua Hin, though you did also say that you lived near Cowboy. ????

Wouldn't surprise me if Captain Kirk had two places, and reverse commuted against the tour busses and mobs of Thais heading out on Saturdays...HH during the week, BKK on holidays and weekends, as well as high season (as if there is one)..I have thought about doing the same, but seeing how bad the horse <deleted> and jetskis are on a Tuesday with tourism down 98%, I am having second thoughts.  7.6 million for 42 sm on Soi 71?  I am thinking more like 1.8...

On 9/23/2020 at 10:24 AM, Tony125 said:

Sala Deng skytrain stop = PatPong   There are bars open with plenty of girls (some lookers) on the Soi that Starlight Bar is on. Starlight is still on same soi but moved further down the street.  The Soi that had bars and used to sell all kinds of suvineers and stuff as of 3 weeks ago (maybe a little longer ) had no clubs open and only 1 watch seller.

I stopped going to Patpong. Too many "clip joints", and too many women over 40. Alot are over 50! And fat. Very, very low quality. I am sure there are a few good spots, if you know where to look. But, generally far lower quality than Cowboy.

• Like 1

I went to COwboy last weekend with a friend. After about an hour, in which we went to three different bars I told him I'd been to more exciting graveyards than soi cowboy. He admitted to be somewhat bemused by why they continue to charge 180 baht for a small bottle of beer when the bars are empty. It seems like only a matter of time before more go under. One bar had one other customer than us two, the other two bars had no other customers than us. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Deserted said:

I went to COwboy last weekend with a friend. After about an hour, in which we went to three different bars I told him I'd been to more exciting graveyards than soi cowboy. He admitted to be somewhat bemused by why they continue to charge 180 baht for a small bottle of beer when the bars are empty. It seems like only a matter of time before more go under. One bar had one other customer than us two, the other two bars had no other customers than us. 

You would think there would be a few more expats knocking about?

1 hour ago, Deserted said:

Which bars did you go to?

6 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

stickman reports big bar owners forking out a million baht to keep bars open for a dribble of elbow benders and wont be able to sustain that month after month ..small bar owners are already toast

You would think they are all Thai, but they mostly are not, the way they just keep shooting themselves in the feet.  Sure, if you are a newbie, just off an oil rig, with too much money...you can accept lady drink, but look at the demographics of those remaining here, and the list of potential punters gets to zero quickly.  There are still going to be practically sponsored reports of booming trade, etc.., but at only a few bars on a few nights..I have been expecting a more conciliatory attitude from the bars and it just isn't there..I see ++ and won't even go in.  Different story with some of the freelancers though..last year Soi 39 was "so far," this year they are ready to board MRT and ride out to the fringes, without even mentioning "taxi."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I was in Silom famous district early this month and yes, it's almost dead.

It's mostly famous for the cops extorting money from tourists doing illegal activities like walking by the US Embassy, or waiting for a bus.  Thong Lor is even worse, and once you get in a taxi, you become quite vulnerable.

Edited by moontang

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

It's mostly famous for the cops extorting money from tourists doing illegal activities like walking by the US Embassy, or waiting for a bus.  Thong Lor is even worse, and once you get in a taxi, you become quite vulnerable.

Why is tourists walking by US embassy illegal?

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Why is tourists walking by US embassy illegal?

Sorry, I forgot to turn on the sarcasm light.  Almost ironic that they would do that to people taking a stroll by the Embassy, and shows a deeply flawed chain of command.  Almost no reports of similar trouble if you stay west of Asoke, or only cross to go to Cowboy.  The number of Africans have thinned, but have also become more aggressive is a problem there, though.

If you're into that sort of thing, the famous Why Not bar that had been previously closer to Phrom Phong, relocated toward the end of Soi 4 last month. I reckon they got a killer deal on the new spot in a Covid fire sale. Sounds like they had a successful grand reopening party. So I've heard.

We took a stroll from the humble abode over to Nana last night to hit the Hilary 1 bar and listen to some live music which starts at 8pm.  Soi Nana was completely dead except for the Stumble In Bar, and Fitzgeralds. Hilary 1 upon our arrival had 30 employees working and only 6 of us patrons in the bar by 11pm when we left it was up to 8 customers, pretty sad but it was a Thursday.  The walk back down Nana and Sukhumvit to wireless was a quantlet of lady boys and freelancers.  Even watched as a LB tried to negotiate with an older guy, who eventually handed her some type of denomination and walked away.  Getting seriously concerned for the local bars as well.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

My Father has a theory regarding expat bars being quiet at this time. In the olden days of partying in Bangkok most bars clientele would be a 50, 50 mix expat residents and tourists. Then the bar owners made their decision to chase only the tourist dollar via their pricing regime.

I walked up soi 4 at 1500 on a Saturday which used to be a very busy, time and saw a total of 3 customers in the left side bars and 1 on the right side. The exception was the non English named bar, which has never been known as a tourist haunt, that had around 10 to 15 customers.

I then went to my local Thai ran bar on On Nut who's special is all the local beer you can drink in 2 hours for 399 baht. It was absolutely heaving with 50 % Thais and 50% westerners.