Egg farmers fret as price falls due to decline in consumption

webfact

Egg farmers fret as price falls due to decline in consumption

By The Nation

800_52b3a7071a17777.jpg?v=1600757022

The selling price of eggs has dropped by 30 satang per piece due to a decline in consumption, while farmers also have to bear high animal feed cost, the Association of Hen-Egg Farmers, Traders and Exporters said.

Mongkol Pipatsattayanuwong, the association president, said farmers' egg price was currently Bt2.40 per egg, down 30 satang from the association's announcement of Bt2.70 per egg, due to the decline in consumption during heavy rain and seasonal foods yielding higher output.

Meanwhile, farmers have to bear high animal feed costs. The price of imported soybean meal rose by Bt1.80 to Bt15.55 per kilogram from Bt13.75 per kg in the previous week due to the decline in production and high demand, while the price of corn in Thai animal feed factories rose by 4.32 per cent to Bt9.65 per kg from Bt9.25 per kg in the previous week because corn quality had dropped due to heavy rains.

"The current price of Bt2.40 per egg was lower than the Office of Agricultural Economics' third-quarter egg production cost forecast of Bt2.54 per each. Egg farmers have been bearing a loss for more than one month," he said, adding that egg farmers who raise hens in poultry houses with evaporative cooling system were bearing a higher cost.

"Therefore, government agencies should maintain the egg price and export eggs to foreign countries, while egg farmers should retire old hens in line with the government's regulation to solve this issue which was impacting the country's egg industry," he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394939

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-22

As is often the case with inflation, the producer will get less for his product, while the wholesalers and retailers are raising prices. Especially in a nation where there is little in the way of consumer safeguards. 

Join the club. There are hundreds of millions around the world that are hurting, due to the insane deliberate (first time in history) economic shutdowns. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I think that would be me your having a shot at!  That's fine.  Your entitled to an opinion on the forum even if your not an expert on farm practices or chemicals used on the land.  You hate farmers so much I  doubt you would bother to become fully conversant with the subject matter...it's the way of the world these days.  Maybe you read a report that condemned some chemicals which are supposed to be bad.  There out there.  Often written by people with their own agenda.  How about a hyperthetical. So, to make you happy then  the farmers of the world will stop using all chermicals tomorrow.  How long do you think the food supply will last?  Months?  A year?  Are you ready to fight or kill for some food?  Cos it would come down to that.  But on a brighter note we would be happy to use other chemi you would call environment friendly if the price is reasonable and it does the same job.  Recommendations are always welcome. 

Don't know how this quote got here! 

Yes I was having a shot at you as your first concern was money. Not the health of your consumers. I will not forget an attitude like that. I don't hate farmers they are just too militant and always want it their way. You now again begin about food shortages. While those chemicals are banned in EU and there is still enough food. So what kind of stupid argument is that.

Your saying that i read things that are bias, how about the part where Bayers was lobbying the Thai government and using secret ways to get information. You really think the producers don't cover their ass and try everything to make stuff saleable. Your quite naïve, id say there is more chance of getting tainted info that supports farmers then the other way around.

But please just reply one thing, Europe does not use those chemicals and still has enough food and exports. So if that really sinks your argument about food shortages. But i forgot.. you feel " special"  

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, webfact said:

Mongkol Pipatsattayanuwong...said farmers' egg price was currently Bt2.40 per egg, down 30 satang from the association's announcement of Bt2.70 per egg, due to the decline in consumption during heavy rain

Other people eat less eggs during rainy season...I certainly do ????????????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

I just bought a dozen eggs here in the U.S..  1.55 baht ( 5 cents) per egg.  Neatly packaged and all.  No money in it at present. Should be at least 2.6 baht.

image.png.cff0949376277b631514d97ce6d77f16.png

I wonder if egg prices in Thailand are as volatile as they are here.

image.png.4d14965265d8e6f11100d1cd89aad177.png

Edited by Damrongsak

On 9/22/2020 at 8:50 AM, webfact said:

hens in poultry houses

A chicken coop only has 2 doors .. 

If it had 4 it would be a sedan .. 

On 9/22/2020 at 8:50 AM, webfact said:

old hens

Not spring chick's anymore then .. 

I can think of a few .. old hens that is .. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes I was having a shot at you as your first concern was money. Not the health of your consumers. I will not forget an attitude like that. I don't hate farmers they are just too militant and always want it their way. You now again begin about food shortages. While those chemicals are banned in EU and there is still enough food. So what kind of stupid argument is that.

Your saying that i read things that are bias, how about the part where Bayers was lobbying the Thai government and using secret ways to get information. You really think the producers don't cover their ass and try everything to make stuff saleable. Your quite naïve, id say there is more chance of getting tainted info that supports farmers then the other way around.

But please just reply one thing, Europe does not use those chemicals and still has enough food and exports. So if that really sinks your argument about food shortages. But i forgot.. you feel " special"  

Well,  I think if words mean anything from the way you talk you Do hate farmers.  Mummy ands daddy took you to a farm one day and the farmer wouldn't let you sit on the tractor?  Mean old farmer.

What happens in the EU is business of the EU and the European people.  The chemicals they use I cannot condemn or condone.  But to believe that whatever decisions the EU makes are always right...that would be stupid!

Tainted info???  Provide some facts please....   Bayer like every other company will lobby the government.  It's a fact of life. 

So,  your telling me EU farmers are using...lets say chemi with your stamp of approval...on their crops at a comparable price per rai to Thai farmers? But maybe for them it's not an issue?  When through the CAP they get 58.82 billion euros in subsidies (2018).  But it's only about the money when I mention it!  So paying more for chemi isn't a big issue when the EU is there to top up their income. 

And thanks for calling me 'Special'! Since my grandma passed away no one has called met that.  ????