UK embassy Covid letter just issued (22 Sept) to person on tourist visa

6 minutes ago, greggraham said:

What is the wording of the letter like? 

It refers to the Covid 19 outbreak (presumably meaning in the UK) as disrupting my plans and asks for my application to be considered in accordance with Immigration’s requirements. Quite a short letter, which includes my name and passport number.

Edited by Farangs R Us
Type-o
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Farangs R Us said:

It refers to the Covid 19 outbreak (presumably meaning in the UK) as disrupting my plans and asks for my application to be considered in accordance with Immigration’s requirements. Quite a short letter, which includes my name and passport number.

What do you have to do to qualify for this? Do you need to produce paperwork? Did you apply for the letter from their website, or did you email them directly? Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

What do you have to do to qualify for this? Do you need to produce paperwork? Did you apply for the letter from their website, or did you email them directly? Thanks in advance!

The address that Jack Hna put above is the one I initially wrote to.

I had to attach my bio-data page on my passport, and my entry stamp page. 

They may ask for proof that you are from the part of the UK you are claiming, since restrictions currently vary.

I sent official advice on restrictions from a .gov website (sorry, I can’t remember the exact address) and also attached Covid news reports specific to my area of the UK. 

Hope that helps. Oh, and if you’re sending a lot of attachments be sure to send small versions as they have a 5MB limit.

Edited by Farangs R Us
Type-o
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Farangs R Us said:

The address that Jack Hna put above is the one I initially wrote to.

I had to attach my bio-data page on my passport, and my entry stamp page. 

They may ask for proof that you are from the part of the UK you are claiming, since restrictions currently vary.

I sent official advice on restrictions from a .gov website (sorry, I can’t remember the exact address) and also attached Covid news reports specific to my area of the UK. 

Hope that helps. Oh, and if you’re sending a lot of attachments be sure to send small versions as they have a 5MB limit.

Thanks a lot! ???? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

4 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

Thanks a lot! ???? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

Give it *atleast* 3 business days (usually closer to 5) from the date you send off your documents, longer if they have to deliberate your request in any way. If you want any chance of getting an extension by Saturday I'd suggest emailing them ASAP

2 minutes ago, Farangs R Us said:

My successful application was made this morning, though I had tried previously as well. So it was kind of a continuation of a previously unsuccessful application.

Wow! Good to know. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

don't think I believe this post, sorry..

Tourist (TR.60) here. I don't even reside in the UK and still got my letter from the British Embassy, so best not to assume. Took like 2 weeks, sure, but got it in the end.

Edited by tabbycat
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, greggraham said:

Check the e-mail itself, not the letter. 

I did - this is what it says

Please find attached your completed visa extension letter.

Please take this letter to your local Immigration Office before your permission to remain in Thailand ends to avoid any overstay fines. Be advised that the extension of visas are solely given at the discretion of Immigration Officers.

This letter is issued based on current Immigration requirements and can used at any time until 26th September. Immigration rules are subject to change at any time.

Immigration Offices may require additional supporting documents to extend your visa. You should ensure that you meet all the requirements of your local Immigration Office before submitting your application.

Kind Regards
Varinya

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I received my letter last week - no mention whatsoever that it will be issued only once

In the email I received saying I would be given a letter, I was told I would only get it once. I’m speculating, but I think that’s just because I’m on a short-term visa, not on a long-term one, or switching to a long-term one. Your circumstances may be different to mine. 

I am on visa exemption, entering 19th March. I sent my email in on Friday 18th Sept, saying that I am concerned for my health by returning to the UK, and also that the FCO advises against all non-essential travel; travelling back to the UK is not essential to me.

I got a reply saturday morning, with the PDF supporting letter.

It's definitely possible for british tourists and it was not much effort, I didnt attach any links to news articles.

• Like 2