UK embassy Covid letter just issued (22 Sept) to person on tourist visa

Just received email from UK embassy. Not sure if this is a "No" answer or just an acknowledgement?

This mailbox is for applications for the following consular services:

1.             ED visa support letter

2.             Supporting letter for Thai Nationality application

3.             Submission of Affirmation of Marital Status and supporting documents prior to appointment - Please allow 2 working days for us to reply to your email

Consular letter relating to the death of a British National in Thailand (funeral directors only).  A member of the team will be in touch with you as soon as possible to organise preparation and collection of documents.

Visa Extension Letters

The British Embassy can issue a letter to support applications to extend existing visas for British Nationals who require a letter to:

1.       Apply for a Non-Immigrant visa OR

2.       Those who are unable to travel to their country of residence due to border closures or the FCDO advises against travel to that country.

To apply, reply to this email with:

1. Copy of the biodata page of your passport
  2. Entry stamp in to Thailand
  3. Proof of residence in a third country e.g. visa (if applicable)
  4. Supporting documents relating to your long-term visa application e.g. marriage certificate, employment contract (if applicable)

You will receive an auto-reply from us once we have received your documents. Please ensure your email is less than 5MB.

We will issue you with a letter within 5 working days of receiving all supporting documentation.

The British Embassy will not be issuing a visa extension letter to British Nationals in Thailand on short-term visas who can travel to their country of residence.

Edited by Fibonaqi

18 hours ago, Farangs R Us said:

It refers to the Covid 19 outbreak (presumably meaning in the UK) as disrupting my plans and asks for my application to be considered in accordance with Immigration’s requirements. Quite a short letter, which includes my name and passport number.

How much did it cost you, about 70GBP?

Yeah I got one of these letters too and its not worth the paper its written on. Immigration officer would not accept it and said the letter stated that I had Covid-19 and was unable to travel due to this. It said nothing of the sort so total waste of time. 

FYI. If you reply to them and tell them that immigration didnt accept it you receive an auto reply with the same original email and the same document attached. I presume this is what they mean about only being issued once. 

46 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Yeah I got one of these letters too and its not worth the paper its written on. Immigration officer would not accept it and said the letter stated that I had Covid-19 and was unable to travel due to this. It said nothing of the sort so total waste of time. 

FYI. If you reply to them and tell them that immigration didnt accept it you receive an auto reply with the same original email and the same document attached. I presume this is what they mean about only being issued once. 

Was you given an extra 7 days to get your affairs in order

The UK embassy turned me down for a letter on the basis I'm in an "at risk" group for the flu, so Covid is dangerous to me. But that was a few days before you sent your request for a letter and BOJO only just announced they are taking the UK into another stupid lockdown.

Today I booked an appointment with Immigration through an agency, and they seemed satisfied with the letter. 

They told me I would get 15 days, then be required to go in person to Immigration to get another 15 days IF I decided to do it myself.

But with the agency they will get the second 15-day stamp for me, and I just have to collect my passport from their office once it’s done.

My appointment is on Friday so I won’t know more till then.

I got my letter 3 Days sgo after the girst attempt failed i emailed them again and got it.  My reasons totally different to the norm though.. Been a wheelchair user and unable to fly alone the reason i was granted one. Common sense prevailed thankfully.

Edited by Bell1234
spelling mistake

11 minutes ago, Bell1234 said:

I got my letter 3 Days sgo after the girst attempt failed i emailed them again and got it.  My reasons totally different to the norm though.. Been a wheelchair user and unable to fly alone the reason i was granted one. Common sense prevailed thankfully.

@Bell1234, what do you mean by "first attempt failed? Did they actually respond and say they wouldn't give you a letter? I got an acknowledgement yesterday that sounds like a "no" to me (last line on short term visa). I'm wondering whether I should re-submit or wait for a response.image.png.c97cd955d60e119a8cb8f2723fdba06c.png

2 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

@Bell1234, what do you mean by "first attempt failed? Did they actually respond and say they wouldn't give you a letter? I got an acknowledgement yesterday that sounds like a "no" to me (last line on short term visa). I'm wondering whether I should re-submit or wait for a response.image.png.c97cd955d60e119a8cb8f2723fdba06c.png

Yes they refused at my first attempt.. I then emailed them again and got the letter at the 2nd attempt.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

That does not look like a refusal. It's totally different to the response they sent me.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

YAY! Got my embassy letter just now! Special kudos to Farangs R Us and Bell1234 or I wouldn't have known to submit a request yesterday. For the record and for the naysayers, the turnaround is just under 24 hrs!

Thank you UK Embassy!????

Now Breathe ahhhhhhhhh ????????????

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 4:14 PM, Farangs R Us said:

That’s fine, I can understand your skepticism. But in the interests of not discouraging other people in a similar boat, I can only reiterate that what I’m saying is 100% legit.

For the record, I sent my request to UK Embassy by email after 5PM yesterday, after reading Farangs R Us' report, got response with the sought after embassy letter just after 4PM today. They literally responded within the same business day. Kudos to the UK Embassy for this ????. Really appreciate people like Farangs R Us sharing good useful info. Please ignore the trolls.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

For the record, I sent my request to UK Embassy by email after 5PM yesterday, after reading Farangs R Us' report, got response with the sought after embassy letter just after 4PM today. They literally responded within the same business day. Kudos to the UK Embassy for this ????. Really appreciate people like Farangs R Us sharing good useful info. Please ignore the trolls.

What reasons did you give for applying if i may ask...I may need a letter if they refuse my 30 day extension! Thanks ????

12 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

What reasons did you give for applying if i may ask...I may need a letter if they refuse my 30 day extension! Thanks ????

I said that FCO advises against non-essential travel, and also I am concerned for my health as there is no covid in Thailand, but UK is worst in Europe with restriction back in place. I didnt link to anything, that's all I put. I also mentioned that I have sufficient funds to support myself and can provide proof if needed.

I did this on the 18th and got the letter on the 19th.

• Thanks 2

The UK Embassy is basing its decisions surrounding the issuing of covid letters on a 21st July Statement by Thai Immigration saying that short term visa holders had to prepare to leave the Kingdom.

However, even that statement said that exceptions could be made “In case of having other obstacles such as no flights or an outbreak situation.”

With regards to the latter, I would say the rapidly worsening covid situation back home, and the new nationwide measures must qualify most, if not all British nationals right now.

I was also told that proof of a local lockdown specific to your part of the UK would be given special consideration.

Definitely worth appealing if they say no first time around, as people on this thread, including myself, were refused first time around.

Great to hear some folks, like Fibonaqi, are having success and that the turnaround is pretty quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Travel plans disrupted due to COVID, situation in California (home): high COVID toll, civil unrests, forest fires. I provided some links and infographic besides copies of passport pages etc. I think if it sounds sincere, reasonable and legit, they would oblige. Good PR for them, no skin off their nose, quick work. It's a standard generic letter with your name and passport details.

20 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

@2530Ubon, no harm sending an email request UK Embassy now like I did yesterday at around this time. You may get it tomorrow and still have Friday to use it if needed.

4 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

@2530Ubon, no harm sending an email request UK Embassy now like I did yesterday at around this time. You may get it tomorrow and still have Friday to use it if needed.

I will apply now and update any results later. Thanks ????

Well the first step is complete ???? not sure if I’ll need it but let’s see what happens. Apparently you can get a normal 30 day extension of your tourist visa, but just in case....

Edited by 2530Ubon
Picture keeps uploading - i don't know why!!!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Well the first step is complete ???? not sure if I’ll need it but let’s see what happens. Apparently you can get a normal 30 day extension of your tourist visa, but just in case....

???? You would have better luck with the normal 30-day extension in Ubon, none has been reported in BKK. I'd be very happy with a clean Oct 26 stamp without having to make another trip for "Under consideration".

• Like 1

Just now, Fibonaqi said:

???? You would have better luck with the normal 30-day extension in Ubon, none has been reported in BKK. I'd be very happy with a clean Oct 26 stamp without having to make another trip for "Under consideration".

I'm going to try a clean stamp first, but as others have pointed out to me, it's always good to have a plan B!  Thanks

• Like 1

So i received my letter of support today (tourist visa also), however, in the email, right at the bottom of the page it says the following (verbatum);

"This letter can only be issued once, you will therefore need to make a plan to remain in Thailand long-term or return home before your visa expires."

Wonder what the plan is for people after this if there is only one letter issued... edit the date?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

So i received my letter of support today (tourist visa also), however, in the email, right at the bottom of the page it says the following (verbatum);

"This letter can only be issued once, you will therefore need to make a plan to remain in Thailand long-term or return home before your visa expires."

Wonder what the plan is for people after this if there is only one letter issued... edit the date?

Unfortunately the plan is right there in British Embassy's email: remain in Thailand long-term or return home before your visa expires.

Would strongly advise against editing the date on the letter - that's a crime. Even though you may get the under consideration stamp on the day & told to come back, when your documents are sent to the head office for further checking, you'll be in for a tough surprise when returning for your second appointment to close off the 'loop'.

If you wish to extend further, try appealing to the British Embassy first closer to the date for another letter, citing your situation (maybe if your part of the UK is under lockdown). If all else fails and you still wish to stay, it'll have to be the agent route.

Edited by tabbycat
  • Thanks 1