UK embassy Covid letter just issued (22 Sept) to person on tourist visa

7 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

So i received my letter of support today (tourist visa also), however, in the email, right at the bottom of the page it says the following (verbatum);

"This letter can only be issued once, you will therefore need to make a plan to remain in Thailand long-term or return home before your visa expires."

Wonder what the plan is for people after this if there is only one letter issued... edit the date?

Told ya ????????
Mine doesn't say that at all. Double checked. It's possible that's because I'm not resident in the UK. Not sure why. But the letter clearly says it's only good before September 26.

11 hours ago, Fibonaqi said:

Told ya ????????
Mine doesn't say that at all. Double checked. It's possible that's because I'm not resident in the UK. Not sure why. But the letter clearly says it's only good before September 26.

That's probably it. My email from them didn't mention anything re: 'only one letter' either - residing in a different country as well. Provided evidence so I hope they can just issue a new letter with the same wording this time next month.

I get the feeling they want people residing in the UK to eventually return regardless of the situation back home, but aren't in the place to make that call for British residents living in other countries. They're probably also waiting on Immigration to clarify re: the process of a second embassy extension (and onwards)

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 1

FWIW I am not a resident of the UK, but I did get the 'only once' footnote.

Also, just want to mention that if anyone thinks they are overdue for a response, might want to bug them again. Yesterday I received *someone else's* extension request letter. I had to inform them of the mistake, and send the letter to the guy on FB. Scary that one could miss their letter this way.

13 hours ago, Fibonaqi said:

Told ya ????????

Interesting, my letter does not say "only good before September"  - BUT the email does. Technically i could use that letter any time within the 30 day window from date of issue as immigration have said your letter must not be older than 30 days.

Edited by 2530Ubon

1 hour ago, tabbycat said:

That's probably it. My email from them didn't mention anything re: 'only one letter' either - residing in a different country as well. Provided evidence so I hope they can just issue a new letter with the same wording this time next month.

I get the feeling they want people residing in the UK to eventually return regardless of the situation back home, but aren't in the place to make that call for British residents living in other countries. They're probably also waiting on Immigration to clarify re: the process of a second embassy extension (and onwards)

After the last few days surges in covid-19 cases in the UK, they might change their mind about only issuing the letter once. 

5 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Interesting, my letter does not say "only good before September"  - BUT the email does. Technically i could use that letter any time within the 30 day window from date of issue as immigration have said your letter must not be older than 30 days.

Some immigration offices wants a screenshot and/or print-out of the email, if your office is one of those, and the officer can read,then you're screwed anyway.

38 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Just to clarify, it says in the email, not the letter "This letter is issued based on current Immigration requirements and can used at any time until 26th September. " No mention of any dates in the actual Embassy letter except referring to the date on your entry stamp.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

So are they not going to be issuing these letters after the amnesty? I got a regular extension up to 26 October and was hoping to go for a Covid-19 extension after that.

Same lol.... really don't want to go for the agent visa. There are rumours that something will be announced after the 26th... perhaos they've realised that now everyone has the same dates in their passports and IO are going to be swamped at the end of every month if it continues like this. Personally, i think they'll let us on to the new STV after next week. It just makes sense to keep us here spending cash!

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

So are they not going to be issuing these letters after the amnesty? I got a regular extension up to 26 October and was hoping to go for a Covid-19 extension after that.

How did you manage to get a regular extension without letter? Which office gave it to you? Not an option in Bangkok/MTT.

Edited by Fibonaqi

1 hour ago, Fibonaqi said:

How did you manage to get a regular extension without letter? Which office gave it to you? Not an option in Bangkok/MTT.

I got mine from Ubon and most offices in the North and North East seem to be doing it. There's also a report of someone getting it in MTT. All a bit late now though, isn't it?

13 hours ago, Fibonaqi said:

Me too, regular 30 day extension of TV in Ubon. Hopefully some good news will come soon. They can't possibly keep the situation as it is - I'm very grateful to Ubon IO for processing everything and doing things the correct way, but i spent two days at the IO - one hour queuing just to get a ticket for the next day, then a four hour wait for proccessing on day two. That was all my fault - i should have gone earlier, i was one of those hoping for another announcement and I didn't want to waste my final extension. Immigration is completely overloaded and everyone has to come back at the same time next month. If your on an embassy letter, you have to go TWICE! That's got be eating away at the IO's who probably would prefer some peace and quiet.