Thai Cabinet approves two more long weekends for November, December

webfact

Great. Only government employees and private school teachers get paid. Everybody else works. Parents at my kids school will blow up, in their don't lose face, Thai way.

There seems to be a disconnect between economic reality and wishful thinking here. Bit like Alice in Wonderland.

TIT. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, petedk said:

Last time we had a long weekend, my friends drove from Bangkok to Hua Hin. The journey took 7 hours! They said they would never travel on a long weekend again.

It's to be expected, however if you leave very early in the morning, even on long weekends the traffic is bearable.

On the other hand, every popular spot from IG/FB is flooded with selfish wannabe models and photographs.

This annoys me more than the traffic...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Last time we had a long weekend, my friends drove from Bangkok to Hua Hin. The journey took 7 hours! They said they would never travel on a long weekend again.

Was travelling against the traffic that day, at close to normal speed.  Literally didn't see a car even inching forward for 80km.  Just looking at it was enough to ensure I'll never be on a highway on a public holiday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I lived in Bangkok I always made a point of NOT traveling on holiday weekends it used to be pleasant around Sukhumvit with no traffic fi I wanted to go on a trip wait until after all the nutcases have come back

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 2

I doubt there will be many people left for a holiday in November and December !!!

The economy gets worse every week with no end in sight !

All tourist areas will be completely deserted by then. 

Savings go low, credit cards are maxed out ... and at some point the banks want their money back !

Going to be interesting to see this insanity evolve. 

• Like 2

Still waiting for official announcement from my employer but :

1) December holiday appears to be simply moving the Public Holiday from Monday 7/12 to Friday 11/12.

Thursday is already a Public Holiday, so limited impact on business but a 4 day weekend created.

2) The 2 days in November. I very much doubt the private sector are going to be bothering with these. However, it depends what kind of decree is issued. Every year additional government public holidays seem to be announced and the private sector ignores nearly all of these. 

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

In the Uk they are talking about 4-4.5 million people being unemployed soon. I can just imagine the reaction of them to being told they need to help out the economy by spending money on a new few bank holidays

Richard so true what you said Why In Thailand would people want to go on holidays Lots have lost their jobs and are struggling to put food on table They is there no 1 priority FOOD The government main priorities are defense and having less time at work Peoples welfare is bottom of their list

• Like 1

Good. Should be fun.

be good for tourist business, restaurants. They need it. 

But.... TVF grumpy guys. 28/ 28 negaitive complaain post. Not one positive post? 

Gee.

• Haha 1