Little hope for reform of Thailand’s police – Senator Kamnoon

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In his Facebook post today, Senator Kamnoon Sidhisamarn said that the much-needed reforms have not progressed since the Prime Minister, in his capacity as leader of the junta which took power in a coup d’état, issued an order on July 25th, 2018, regarding guidelines for police reshuffles which put emphasis on seniority, and another, dated November 26th of the same year, about measures supporting continuation of a national administration.

...says a senator, an epitome of fairness, honor and altruism, obviously. 

I suppose he is just member of the other faction, which now is much more powerful than Pinocchios dump and senile group. Maybe there might not be a coup, as too much loss of face would be involved in this, as everyone expects a coup now already. But instead of this, these guys are now working on the coming "resignation" and retirement of Prayut and Prawit.

After this, and with a new government of other cronies, nothing will happen to the police. No reform. Also no reform to the army. Nothing. Never.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

This guys just sore because he's a nobody. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes from now on.

He'll be flipping hamburgers next week ....  lol

So are you threatening big joke?

Have you ever heard of fair & balanced justice for all citizens?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Both orders, said Kamnoon, have rendered the third paragraph of Section 260 of the current Constitution meaningless in practice, which means that seniority and capability are not the criteria used to determine which police officers are promoted or transferred.

And there is the issue, capability is not the reason for promotion, it's bought with cash.

How does that cash become available. via other dubious means.

Corruption breeds corruption a never ending cycle.

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

In all consideration, you are talking about the Samui police which are their own breed.

This is absolutely true. But, the mainland police are nearly all franchisees, also. Perhaps not quite as brazen, or ganglike, but nonetheless they work the franchise fairly aggressively, and most do not spend much time engaging in law and order. The highways are the best example of that. Do not even get me started on the completely ineffective highway patrol. When is the last time you saw someone pulled over for reckless driving? 

16 hours ago, mark131v said:

17 hours ago,  Nout said: 

They do enforce the law and are superior to the British police.

Are you drunk being sarcastic or just delusional?

Really hope it is just drunk or sarcasm as that level of delusion is very, very dangerous and would require immediate intervention or you may end up like our friend Steven stuck in a make believe alternate reality, scary stuff...

Thank you. A voice of sanity in the wilderness of delusion and inane conclusions. What could compel someone of rational mind to make a statement of that sort? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Complete amnesty from prosecution for previous crimes (if confessed), sack all the current police force, re-employ on new contracts, double their salaries to minimize the desire to extort money .......very severe penalties for future transgressions.....radical, but probably the only way forward.

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

Prayut can't reform the police, or, even worse, clean it up.  Think of the precedent!

If he did that what would come next?  The civil service?  The military?  Where would it stop?

An inactive post? Oh! Sorry. He already has that.

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Complete amnesty from prosecution for previous crimes (if confessed), sack all the current police force, re-employ on new contracts, double their salaries to minimize the desire to extort money .......very severe penalties for future transgressions.....radical, but probably the only way forward.

You would have to multiply by at least 10, maybe more to minimise the desire for the majority and that would be doubtful - any pay increases would just be considered a bonus. 

Edited by Artisi

22 hours ago, Benmart said:

The Singapore Model. Sadly, there is No Lee Kwan Yu in these parts.

This did actually happen in Malaysia 3+ decades ago.  The customs department was totally corrupt and has built enormous power to intimidate other gov't agencies and the public.

The PM (don't remember his name) stepped in; he pre-organized for a Scandinavian country to totally take over the entire customs activities top to bottom. They arrived very quickly and without prior warning with immediate authority to make all customs decisions using the written customs laws of their own country. No need to get cross-approvals of other ministries/agencies etc.

All local customs staff, top to bottom told to stay home and legally prohibited from being on any customs premises or calling/contacting any customs office(r) etc.

The off-shore folks from Scaninavian included a police investigatory unit to investigate many local customs officers top to bottom. Many went to jail.

As planned, about 5 years later the customs agency was rebuilt locally and the laws regarding corruption made much more serious, plus the new customs agency (and many other agencies) not allowed to investigate their own agencies/their staff.

It worked. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

This did actually happen in Malaysia 3+ decades ago.  The customs department was totally corrupt and has built enormous power to intimidate other gov't agencies and the public.

The PM (don't remember his name) stepped in; he pre-organized for a Scandinavian country to totally take over the entire customs activities top to bottom. They arrived very quickly and without prior warning with immediate authority to make all customs decisions using the written customs laws of their own country. No need to get cross-approvals of other ministries/agencies etc.

All local customs staff, top to bottom told to stay home and legally prohibited from being on any customs premises or calling/contacting any customs office(r) etc.

The off-shore folks from Scaninavian included a police investigatory unit to investigate many local customs officers top to bottom. Many went to jail.

As planned, about 5 years later the customs agency was rebuilt locally and the laws regarding corruption made much more serious, plus the new customs agency (and many other agencies) not allowed to investigate their own agencies/their staff.

It worked. 

Unfortunately a Thai asking any Farang for help in anything would be such a loss of face that it will never happen here :sad:

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, colinneil said:

Man is a total waste of space, he has promised lots since he led the coup.

Promised a lot, delivered absolutely nothing useful.

Yes he made a lot of noise about reforming the R.T.P., yet do the same as he usually does.... All talk- no action.

???? Already posted the sad emoji Steven, no need for you to bother.????

lanky lad he donated some of HIS own money.....to people who were hit by floods (isan area I think it was)......A COUPLE of yrs ago.....DO YOU NOT REMEMBER ?????

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:53 PM, Lacessit said:

I'd agree with SM007's summation, the police are a collection agency.

Sometimes they don't even do that. There's a checkpoint on the way to Phan which is only manned in the morning. Presumably the Yaa Baa smugglers drive through in the afternoon or night.

There was a temporary checkpoint in Phayao where I got fined 1000 baht on the spot because my car registration had expired, unbeknownst to me. About 11 am. I saw the funny side of it, the three cops manning the checkpoint had it dismantled before I had even got back to my car with the ticket that would exempt me from further fines that day. They were off to lunch on the proceeds.

One thing I will give the police here, they smile when they are collecting. Not like Australia, where it's a stone face and prison stare.

do you mean your car HAD NO TAX????

check the list of fines for vehicles.....I THINK you were OVER FINED (if this is correct english)