Buying a Ford Ranger Wildtrack

Brunolem

Sorry to post this here, but I can't access the specific forum...

I am thinking about buying a Ford Ranger Wildtrack.

What are the pros and the cons?

Is it worth it to pay extra money for the turbo, or the bi-turbo?

Also I would like to get it customized because the standard models are very bland, according to my taste.

Can anyone recommend a good customizer, since I imagine that Ford won't offer this kind of service?

Thanks for your input.

• Confused 1

Is it worth it to pay extra money for the turbo, or the bi-turbo?

Depends what you're using it for. If you're just puttering around the Muban, I wouldn't bother. But if you go to other provinces, have to overtake traffic regularly, do any off roading or towing, it's worth getting the bi-turbo variant. 

• Like 1

The only thing that stopped me buying a Ford is that they have had continual engine issues and the 1.9 turbo or bi turbo is relatively unproven & after Chevrolet pulling out and Ford pulling out of the car market there was a high risk factor. I ended up buying an ISUZU as engine reliability was my no 1 criteria. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, uncleP said:

The only thing that stopped me buying a Ford is that they have had continual engine issues and the 1.9 turbo or bi turbo is relatively unproven & after Chevrolet pulling out and Ford pulling out of the car market there was a high risk factor. I ended up buying an ISUZU as engine reliability was my no 1 criteria. 

Lucky the Ranger aint running the 1.9 then, the Izuzu does though !!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

The VW will be based upon the Ranger platform, not a lot of VW in the Ranger as far as I know other than some electrics.

To the OP wanting to customise... Hit up TTN Hypersport on facebook.

Wheels/tyres/suspension/bodykit/lights/paint etc etc will run about 600k on top of the vehicle purchase but what a beast !!

ttnwildtrak1.jpg

ttnwildtrak2.jpg

600k!

My my my, I don't plan to go that high...

• Haha 1

Just now, Brunolem said:

600k!

My my my, I don't plan to go that high...

Yeah is a bit out of my budget, and they only do the wide body tub sides for the double Cab and not the extra cab that I have.

spent the afternoon looking for 22" rims for mine... not a lot of choice out there and damn they are expensive.

19 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

The VW will be based upon the Ranger platform, not a lot of VW in the Ranger as far as I know other than some electrics.

To the OP wanting to customise... Hit up TTN Hypersport on facebook.

Wheels/tyres/suspension/bodykit/lights/paint etc etc will run about 600k on top of the vehicle purchase but what a beast !!

ttnwildtrak1.jpg

ttnwildtrak2.jpg

600k on top?

Buy the Raptor.

16 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Ignore the Ford bashers.  They appear on every ford topic.   Had my XLT 8 years.  Only problem a split hose.  Great truck ????

I've had the misfortune of owning three Fords. I'm a slow learner, but I did learn the description Fix Or Repair Daily is not far off the mark.

OTOH, I've owned 4 Mitsubishi cars and 2 Mitsubishi Tritons. Excellent engineering,  underrated by the public because their marketing is s##t.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've had the misfortune of owning three Fords. I'm a slow learner, but I did learn the description Fix Or Repair Daily is not far off the mark.

OTOH, I've owned 4 Mitsubishi cars and 2 Mitsubishi Tritons. Excellent engineering,  underrated by the public because their marketing is s##t.

8F51011F-FA91-4D2E-BA5A-769536BBDCA9_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, jvs said:

Op,you could go for the Raptor?

If i could afford it,

1.7 million...too much for a pick up...

As far as I know it has the same engine and hp as the wildtrak...

The one I like is the VR46 special edition, obviously not imported in Thailand...but maybe I can have the regular version tuned by a customizer...

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

The one I like is the VR46 special edition, obviously not imported in Thailand...but maybe I can have the regular version tuned by a customizer...

8BB7D4BA-0047-4D95-8BD9-976282D1FAA5_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Hold off for the new FX4 MAX, does not have all the Wildtrak fruit but I reckon it looks the goods if you find normal Ranger styling a bit bland.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/ford-ranger-fx4-max-released-126321/

Edited by Don Mega
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bodga said:

I can confirm after trying the bi turbo it  fell quite  slow in acceleration as it whizzed thru 10  gears.

Guy at work has the Bi 10 speed..... my 2.2 6 speed manual eats him on the motorway, but then he does have 35" mud tyres that expect limit him.