Buying a Ford Ranger Wildtrack

Brunolem

3 minutes ago, bodga said:

I can confirm after trying the bi turbo it  fell quite  slow in acceleration as it whizzed thru 10  gears.

Who buys a pick up to be quick?

Unless you are one of those many racers, lowering their pick-ups and tuning their engines.

59 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Ignore the Ford bashers.  They appear on every ford topic.   Had my XLT 8 years.  Only problem a split hose.  Great truck ????

Actually its  not so  much any brand  truck its  how the individual dealer treats  you, and in Thailand its not the best.

bought 1st ranger (model) in thailand in dec 1999. still have it. not many problems. although I do have some negative experience with the ford service (used 2 ford dealers over time). But anyway, that is quite some time ago. cannot attest for the current state of affairs...

• Like 1

There is a Facebook Group ... Ford Ranger Club Thailand...join and read. Also Everest Club Thailand and Australia. Everest's have certainly had problems with the 10-Speed box.

We have had an MY15 3.2L Everest from new ... no mechanical problems. I can recommend Ford Don Muang for Service.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Lucky the Ranger aint running the 1.9 then, the Izuzu does though !!

Not in my car I have a 3L ????

Ok 2L then but still problematic in my opinion. Initially I had decided on a mitzubushi pajero sport as it is the class leader but neither I or my wife liked the tight feel of the front row. The Ford everest was great in everything bar the engine, the toyota fortuner was overpriced, lacking in technology with an idiotic 3rd row,  the Nissan Terra was new and unproven despite nissan having a good history in the sector, which led me to the new Isuzu mux drives great, has a rock solid engine is comfortable and has enough tech for me. These are the suv versions of the trucks and are basically the same cars. The mazda truck shares the same platform as the isuzu.

You all may well come to different conclusions and that is cool! all I did was explain my thinking before I spent 1.3 million baht.

Edited by uncleP
Inspiration
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, uncleP said:

Not in my car I have a 3L ????

Ok 2L then but still problematic in my opinion. Initially I had decided on a mitzubushi pajero sport as it is the class leader but neither I or my wife liked the tight feel of the front row. The Ford everest was great in everything bar the engine, the toyota fortuner was overpriced, lacking in technology with an idiotic 3rd row,  the Nissan Terra was new and unproven despite nissan having a good history in the sector, which led me to the new Isuzu mux drives great, has a rock solid engine is comfortable and has enough tech for me. These are the suv versions of the trucks and are basically the same cars. The mazda truck shares the same platform as the isuzu.

You all may well come to different conclusions and that is cool! all I did was explain my thinking before I spent 1.3 million baht.

What problems are the 2.0 Ford still suffering, I know they had some turbo (on the Bi-turbo, not single turbo) issue early on but I thought that was rectified.

BTW, the 3.0 Izuzu Dmax was my intial choice of pickup but the discount I got on the Ranger made it too good to pass up.

Edited by Don Mega

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What problems are the 2.0 Ford still suffering, I know they had some turbo (on the Bi-turbo, not single turbo) issue early on but I thought that was rectified.

BTW, the 3.0 Izuzu Dmax was my intial choice of pickup but the discount I got on the Ranger made it too good to pass up.

I got 130k cash discount on my isuzu which was better by 30k than I could get on the Ford. Great tech and comfort in the ford but with them pulling out of the domestic car market due to engine/gearbox issues, Chevrolet pulling out of SE Asia,  and teething issues with the new Ford engines made me a little wary of going American at this time. There are a lot of new Ford trucks around in Bkk so we will see quite soon how they hold up. For the op have a look on FB market place there are often deals to be had but be aware that 2nd hand cars in Thailand are vastly overpriced. 

Edited by uncleP

52 minutes ago, uncleP said:

I got 130k cash discount on my isuzu which was better by 30k than I could get on the Ford. Great tech and comfort in the ford but with them pulling out of the domestic car market due to engine/gearbox issues, Chevrolet pulling out of SE Asia,  and teething issues with the new Ford engines made me a little wary of going American at this time. There are a lot of new Ford trucks around in Bkk so we will see quite soon how they hold up. For the op have a look on FB market place there are often deals to be had but be aware that 2nd hand cars in Thailand are vastly overpriced. 

Nice discount, I did better than that with Ford.

The Rangers are doing OK it would seem given they are at the end of model life and a whole new truck coming next year.

FWIW the 2.0 Panther Engine has been around since 2016.

21 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Nice discount, I did better than that with Ford.

The Rangers are doing OK it would seem given they are at the end of model life and a whole new truck coming next year.

FWIW the 2.0 Panther Engine has been around since 2016.

I think the above is important.  I currently drive a Toyota, 4x4, 4 door, 3 litre, that has been great for the 17 years I have owned it here. But, I come from a Ford family and I have had Ford's all my life. The "this is better than that" argument has gone on as long as there were more than one brand.  The next generation Ranger is in the auto news on a weekly, if not daily, basis.  I will purchase one as soon as it is available.  Why buy a model at the end of its run, unless a discount is important, when totally a new replacement is due.  First reports said late 2020, but now it has pushed back to 2021.   Do some searching, there is a lot of info out there.

1 hour ago, silverhawk_usa said:

The next generation Ranger is in the auto news on a weekly, if not daily, basis.  I will purchase one as soon as it is available.  Why buy a model at the end of its run, unless a discount is important, when totally a new replacement is due.  First reports said late 2020, but now it has pushed back to 2021.   Do some searching, there is a lot of info out there.

Thanks for this info.

Are you talking about a new line of Rangers, or about a completely different model with a new name?

And is this new model going to be produced by Ford Thailand? Otherwise that could delay its release on the local market for quite a while...

19 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah is a bit out of my budget, and they only do the wide body tub sides for the double Cab and not the extra cab that I have.

spent the afternoon looking for 22" rims for mine... not a lot of choice out there and damn they are expensive.

22 are a bad idea and thats why you dont see them. Get the 17 with the larger tire which will give a better ride

• Like 2

I have a 12 month old Wildtrack and it's okay. Service has been fine but there are things I don't like. I know they sound petty. But it's the little things that annoy - I don't like the key locking. Have to press twice if you want all doors to unlock, I find the window controls too far back on the door armrest, Cabin is cramped, high beam is terrible, a lot of wind and road noise, bumpy ride (yes it's a truck and this should be expected). 

I should have bought an Everest. 

Mazda are soon to release a new truck which looks so much nicer than current BT50. 

Nissan are also doing some good things. Same as the Merc truck. Also good to have something different.

If your locked on the Ranger drive one first. 

Enjoy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would consider a Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi Triton, Isuzu or Mazda first, because Ford in Thailand has a very poor reputation for service.

I just bought Toyota Rocco , I want that resale value , better on Toyota , my exfriend his Turbo  went out on Ford in 2 years and try to sell to me 5555 , Service dept is Sketchy 

Edited by Ireland32
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, G Rex said:

I have had several Rangers now. They are a class above the ISUZU & Mitsubishi offerings. 

IMO they drive better, & are far more comfortable that the HiLux. 

I do not think servicing is a problem in Thailand - not in my experience anyway.

The twin turbo 2.0 would be preferable = but for regular driving without much load , you won’t notice much difference. They are not quick! If you want 4WD, you will have to go for the twin turbo.

You can search YouTube or Facebook for WAT Ford for some ‘personalisation/dress-up’ options.

Just Do It!

Yes Ford has many Custom options Toyota are weak in options especially if Brand New 

4 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

I just bought Toyota Rocco , I want that resale value , better on Toyota , my exfriend his Turbo  went out on Ford in 2 years and try to sell to me 5555 , Service dept is Sketchy 

I have a friend in CM who has a Ford Laser, been stitched up by the Ford service department there several times.

I daresay most posters on this thread have not been in a car manufacturing plant to see how their vehicles are actually built. It's chalk and cheese when comparing how workers go about it. The quality battle was lost by the American auto industry to the Japanese 30 years ago. They've never been able to regain the lost ground.

My colleague had problems with his Ford Ranger gearbox.  It let him down 300 kilometres from home.

Ford servicing agents are not as prolific as those of Toyota and appear more expensive.  That goes for the parts too.  Toyota is number one in Thailand and I'd recomment you to stick with that marque. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, uncleP said:

The only thing that stopped me buying a Ford is that they have had continual engine issues and the 1.9 turbo or bi turbo is relatively unproven & after Chevrolet pulling out and Ford pulling out of the car market there was a high risk factor. I ended up buying an ISUZU as engine reliability was my no 1 criteria. 

I didn't think the Ranger made a 1.9 are you still talking about a truck?

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thanks for this info.

Are you talking about a new line of Rangers, or about a completely different model with a new name?

And is this new model going to be produced by Ford Thailand? Otherwise that could delay its release on the local market for quite a while...

It will be the latest update to the current Ford Ranger range.  It will be a market wide release once production begins. It doesn't matter where it is produced. This includes Thailand, Australia, India, U.S.A and others. There is usually variances between some items and power trains available depending on country.   Here is one source, there other quite a few others.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/860426/2022-ford-ranger-3-0-tdv6-2-0-bi-turbo-advanced-tech/

Edited by silverhawk_usa
Added Link
  • Like 1

Before driving a Ranger you need to learn to drive like a totally-entitled d1ck, learn to think you own the road, and that every other road user has no rights to be even be on the road. 

I bought Ford here once....never again....really bad re-sale value, <deleted> gearbox that needed recall, electrical issues that caused a small fire in one off the headlamps, and worst of all cheating service people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yankee99 said:

22 are a bad idea and thats why you dont see them. Get the 17 with the larger tire which will give a better ride

22's are fine and I have had them on a previous ride, there is plenty around but none that suit my taste within the price range am shopping in, Ive found some 20's that I like and 305/50R20 tyres are reasonably priced so that will be my fall back if shopping next weekend for 22's fails.

As for 17's.... not sure I would drop down a size from the factory 18" wheels.

6 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thanks for this info.

The current T6 Ranger is at the end of its model life (introduced 2011), A whole new Ranger pickup will hit the market in the 3rd quater next year..... It was supposed to be earlier but covid has pushed it back... and yes it will be built in Thailand.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

It will be the latest update to the current Ford Ranger range.  It will be a market wide release once production begins. It doesn't matter where it is produced. This includes Thailand, Australia, India, U.S.A and others. There is usually variances between some items and power trains available depending on country.   Here is one source, there other quite a few others.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/860426/2022-ford-ranger-3-0-tdv6-2-0-bi-turbo-advanced-tech/

It won't be produced in Australia as Ford have no manufacturing there, I don't think they build the Ranger in India either.