Buying a Ford Ranger Wildtrack

Brunolem

I bought a Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4 years ago and it's been great. Servicing has been no problem, they do a good job. Should easily last long enough to get to the electric vehicle mandates that will be coming to every country around the world soon. Not concerned about resale value because once the electric vehicle mandates come out there won't be a way to sell any non-electric vehicles because at the same time governments will tax gas so much that owning a gas vehicle will be cost prohibitive anyways, so only a fool would buy it. Looking forward to the many electric vehicle threads that will be popping up in the coming years. 

44 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

I bought a Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4 years ago and it's been great. Servicing has been no problem, they do a good job. Should easily last long enough to get to the electric vehicle mandates that will be coming to every country around the world soon. Not concerned about resale value because once the electric vehicle mandates come out there won't be a way to sell any non-electric vehicles because at the same time governments will tax gas so much that owning a gas vehicle will be cost prohibitive anyways, so only a fool would buy it. Looking forward to the many electric vehicle threads that will be popping up in the coming years. 

I doubt governments will mandate pure electric vehicles, hybrids are more likely. That's because battery life is 8 - 10 years at best presently, and replacement cost is eyewatering. Replacement cost on the batteries of a Nissan Leaf is about 65 % of the new vehicle cost. Motorists vote, and they are a fair proportion of the population.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

It won't be produced in Australia as Ford have no manufacturing there, I don't think they build the Ranger in India either.

I didn't say it was.  I said it would be a market wide release in those countries. Perhaps i wasn't clear.  A quote from the link I included........"CarAdvice understands the 2022 Ford Ranger is due to be unveiled in the first half of next year, by which time there will be a clearer picture of its local showroom arrival date. For now, the window is still wide open – late 2021 or early 2022 – because there are four Ford Ranger factories around the world (Thailand, South Africa, Argentina and the US) that need to ramp up production of the new model."

Edited by silverhawk_usa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I didn't say it was.  I said it would be a market wide release in those countries. Perhaps i wasn't clear.  A quote from the link I included........"CarAdvice understands the 2022 Ford Ranger is due to be unveiled in the first half of next year, by which time there will be a clearer picture of its local showroom arrival date. For now, the window is still wide open – late 2021 or early 2022 – because there are four Ford Ranger factories around the world (Thailand, South Africa, Argentina and the US) that need to ramp up production of the new model."

Awesome.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, Lacessit said:

I have a friend in CM who has a Ford Laser, been stitched up by the Ford service department there several times.

I daresay most posters on this thread have not been in a car manufacturing plant to see how their vehicles are actually built. It's chalk and cheese when comparing how workers go about it. The quality battle was lost by the American auto industry to the Japanese 30 years ago. They've never been able to regain the lost ground.

Lets see here. Lasers went out of production about 23 years ago.

The current Ranger was designed in Australia not America and is built in Thailand not Australia.

Now, do you have anything relevant to post?

21 hours ago, smccolley said:

I got my Wiltrak X a few months ago. Same price as the Wiltrak biturbo but with extra stuff (yeah, the snorkle is stupid) but the metal pushbar with the lidar built in is nice. Very comfortable with nice smooth power.

459150780_muddytruck.jpg.79dafa6f0352dabd7786884fcc9ebff2.jpg

Quick question: I am a Ranger fanboy but what on earth is that stick-on, plastic thingmabob on the bonnet/hood for? A cheese grater? I see them added on most PX2 Rangers these days. Even saw a numpty who stuck one on his genuine Ranger Raptor.

Please don't say aesthetics.

23 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

It will be the latest update to the current Ford Ranger range.  It will be a market wide release once production begins. It doesn't matter where it is produced. This includes Thailand, Australia, India, U.S.A and others. There is usually variances between some items and power trains available depending on country.   Here is one source, there other quite a few others.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/860426/2022-ford-ranger-3-0-tdv6-2-0-bi-turbo-advanced-tech/

Interesting to read that Ford are planning "...including the option of a V6 turbo diesel from its big brother F-150..." since the reason they gave for the T6 (PX) Ranger taking so long to appear on the US domestic market is that they feared it would steal buyers from the F-150 stable and lose that long-standing truck market lead. The new 3.0 V6 turbo may get Thai regulatory approval as they are seen to be keen on smaller displacement engines. But if they go all green and start to hike taxes on diesels, well...

I'm gonna hang on to my MY2014 PX1 with it's 3.2 5-pot Ford Transit engine for as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to run and fix. However, I am wondering if I can shoehorn 'Godzilla' into it at some point.

godzilla.jpg.bbf23e48803c1bef439a0312d404aea9.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/431393/ford-godzilla-v8-crate-engine/

Edited by NanLaew

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Interesting to read that Ford are planning "...including the option of a V6 turbo diesel from its big brother F-150..." since the reason they gave for the T6 Ranger taking so long to appear on the US domestic market is that they feared it would steal buyers from the  F-150 stable and lose the long-standing truck market lead. The new 3.0 V6 turbo may get Thai regulatory approval as they are seen to be keen on smaller displacement engines. But if they go all green and start to hike taxes on diesels, well...

People in Thailand should not hold their breath in hopes of the V6, Neither should Australians as AFAIK that engine is only for the North America market.

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Lets see here. Lasers went out of production about 23 years ago.

The current Ranger was designed in Australia not America and is built in Thailand not Australia.

Now, do you have anything relevant to post?

I see, Thais are better than Australians at building Fords. I guess that's why they have that 100% tariff wall on imports.

The relevance of where a car is designed escapes me.

So you're saying once a car gets past an age determined by the manufacturer, the customer should forget about customer support.

Bought my ranger wildtrak over three years. It's a 2.2 auto and has been perfect, absolutely no problems whatsoever, great servicing from my Korat dealer. It's very quick off the mark and is ok for 160 + kph still driving very smoothly and stable. More refined and comfortable than many trucks and cars on the roads.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I see, Thais are better than Australians at building Fords. I guess that's why they have that 100% tariff wall on imports.

So you're saying once a car gets past an age determined by the manufacturer, the customer should forget about customer support.

In what Regards are the Thai better at assembling a vehicle than Australians ?

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ask Nan Laew.

With COVID-19, wouldn't it be nice if Australia still had even one vehicle manufacturer to keep people employed?

55 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Quick question: I am a Ranger fanboy but what on earth is that stick-on, plastic thingmabob on the bonnet/hood for? A cheese grater? I see them added on most PX2 Rangers these days. Even saw a numpty who stuck one on his genuine Ranger Raptor.

Wind channel. Once you hit the 250km/h, you feel the difference.

I have one on the bonnet and one on the roof.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Ask Nan Laew.

With COVID-19, wouldn't it be nice if Australia still had even one vehicle manufacturer to keep people employed?

????

Are you unable to answer my question, You post I qouted was nothing but dribble then it seems.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It may be news to you but Australians aren't building ANY cars in Australia any more.

You are the one who frequently keeps mentioning Ford and America in almost the same breath.

Nobody in their right mind takes any 23 year old, obsolete car to any dealership and expects it to be sorted.

No. I am saying you and your friends undoubted bad experiences with legacy Ford vehicles happened so long ago as to be totally irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:
4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Ask Nan Laew.

Why should he have to ask ask me that when you have already posted how Australian manufactured Fords delivered to your paint shop. "...were filthy. Welding dags, cigarette butts, discarded work gloves, food wrappers." That speaks more to the rubbish quality of the unionised Australian autoworker in outdated and inefficient assembly plants than it does to any failures with the marque. The same unionised Australian autoworker that ultimately made GM and the wonderfully clean Japanese to pull the pin.

This is about the best thing that Australia ever made when it came to cars. As much as I love the iconic Holden, even more than the Falcon, they probably shouldn't have tried to run with the big dawgs.

369982444_LightburnZeta.jpg.59834ff82685a0b552ec616b24698753.jpg

Edited by NanLaew

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

LOL - you got it right. It  is a stickon thingie. I got it because my wife wanted it and the dealer offered it free. I think it is pretty stupid too, but it wasn't worth the fight with the wifie.

The things I got as part of the "X" package that mattered were the steel pushbar, wheels that are spaced wider to fit in the fender flares better and the aluminum tonneau cover.

Edited by smccolley
more info

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's called a scoop and is purely useless and there to increase the visual apparent size of your (man)hood. It's just stuck on the bonnet with glue and made of plastic, what could possibly go wrong?

• Confused 1