Planning a trip to Udon Thani

AlfHuy

I have just returned from Udon to Sattahip today, 9 hours, so why stop off?  I would strongly advise that you avoid the 2 (A19) to Korat same for  Khon Kaen, road works are horrendous and almost all along the route.  If you do intend to stop off, I would suggest that you find a place in the mountain National Park, Khao Kheaw, some 100k south of Korat.  As to the route, I suggest that you route via A12 and road 201 via Si Khiew and Chalyaphum, to Nong Bua Lum Phu and on to Udon.  Its a much more scenic route and a lot less road works and traffic.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

This one then:

#1 north, Saraburi bypass to #2, turn to #201 at Sikhio up to Chum Phae.

From there north on #228 to Nong Bua Lamphu and then #210 to Udon.

#228 is two lane, somewhat exhausting (and some roadwork) but only about 80 km.

bkk_uth.jpg

Personally I would also do it in one day.

Have a good night sleep.

Start after sunrise.

Frequent rest.

It's a bit more than 500 km, doable.

Half way on this route would be Chaiyaphum.

Not exciting but more relaxed than drive into Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat).

I would not do that and it is only a bit more than 200km from BKK.

yep that's it. Today my trip was 620km, in 8 hours 40 minutes  so a good average speed.  Set off at 6:30am from my wife's village just outside Udon. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

thanks a lot guys.

Sounds interesting.

Will be on the road next week.

From there, up to Bueng Kan, close to the border.

If you do take the advice to take the road through Chaiyaphum, do take note of the jungle ridge line that runs for around 80km into the City out on your left as you go north.  It is the most amazing jungle scenery you will see in Thailand, comparable I would say to some of that to be found in Borneo.  It compares very well with those further north and west.  I intend to do some exploring on that ridge line at some time in the future, if i can gain access.  Beautiful country. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you do take the advice to take the road through Chaiyaphum, do take note of the jungle ridge line that runs for around 80km into the City out on your left as you go north.  It is the most amazing jungle scenery you will see in Thailand, comparable I would say to some of that to be found in Borneo.  It compares very well with those further north and west.  I intend to do some exploring on that ridge line at some time in the future, if i can gain access.  Beautiful country. 

sounds great.

Already planning all and looking for hotel in Udon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

sounds great.

Already planning all and looking for hotel in Udon.

I recommend "Centara  Hotel". right in the center and the best around.  It is in the only really large mall in Udon and very central to all the facilites.  However, there are many more choices than when I used to stay there.  We always call the hotel direct to get the best rates. 

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/centara-convention-centre-udon-thani.en-gb.html?

Edited by Pilotman
  • Thanks 1