If you have Covid you will be denied entry

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not surprised.

But, what I'd really like to know, considering that in all Covid-19 statistics you'll find all detected Covid-19 cases 'ever' (since Dec. 2019), is, what happens in the following scenarios when you arrive at Thailand's borders:

1.) You've had Covid-19, say, six months ago, and a test registers anti-bodies.

2.) You're asymptomatic, but also have anti-bodies.

Would entry in both scenarios likely be denied?

It's a great question. Currently not an issue as there is no testing for this on arrival. I have read elsewhere, where an Anti-body test was conducted while in ASQ. I suspect that if Thailand, or any country for that matter, were to get this sophisticated at their immigration entry points, that no you would not be denied, because anti-bodies are a sign of your bodies innate process of natural immunity. (EDIT: adding a link to CDC on Anti-Bodies)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antibody-tests-guidelines.html

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Right. But there is no medical reason to hospitalize non symptomatic positive test cases (several reasons)

They should be kept in quarantine hotels. This was being done in Japan while I was there this year for 3 months. Main reason keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and unnecessary costs.

yes. This is the exactly point !. Why they hospitalize person who potentially caaried the virus or get the virus and they are not sick ?? If the want to quarantine them than do it in hotel ! why in hospital ?? does hospital has cure vaccine for it ?? why should insurance spend damm much money for something , which has no cure at the moment and you can only handle this with self quarantine your choice. 

People go to hospital if you are sick and need medical treatment !! 

3 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

It's a great question. Currently not an issue as there is no testing for this on arrival. I have read elsewhere, where an Anti-body test was conducted while in ASQ.

The tests while in Quarantine (including ASQ) were Covid-19 RT-PCR tests not antibody tests. 

3 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I suspect that if Thailand, or any country for that matter, were to get this sophisticated at their immigration entry points, that no you would not be denied, because anti-bodies are a sign of your bodies innate process of natural immunity. 

Once serological testing becomes reliable there may be a lot of egg on the faces of governments world wide as we find out we have shut down while >80% of the population has had Covid-19 without any effect.

It would be in the interests of the ‘decision makers’ not to know these facts. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

The tests while in Quarantine (including ASQ) were Covid-19 RT-PCR tests not antibody tests. 

What I am telling you is that I have read second hand accounts that the person in the 14-day quarantine ASQ hotel were also tested for anti-bodies. I cannot verify this. 

12 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:
14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What I am telling you is that I have read second hand accounts that the person in the 14-day quarantine ASQ hotel were also tested for anti-bodies. I cannot verify this. 

I was in ASQ - no antibody testing, just Covid-19 RT-PCR Tests (on arrival, day 6 and day 12).

If someone ‘thinks' they were having an Antibody test while in ASQ they are likely mistaken between the two. 

The Covid-19 RT-PCR test relies on swab taken from the nasal cavity and throat. 

Antibody testing relies on a blood sample. 

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not surprised.

But, what I'd really like to know, considering that in all Covid-19 statistics you'll find all detected Covid-19 cases 'ever' (since Dec. 2019 that is), is, what happens in the following scenarios, when you arrive at Thailand's border:

1.) You've had Covid-19, say, six months ago, and a test registers anti-bodies.

2.) You're asymptomatic, but also have anti-bodies.

Would entry in both scenarios likely be denied?

They do not test for antibodies. So the question does not arise.

The law is being taken out of context. The change is to allow the management of infected people. This way the government can detain and hold an infected person. No one will be deported. Thailand would be rebuked and have its air travel cut off the day it intentionally sends infected people elsewhere without agreement from the recipient country to do so.

All that will happen is that Thailand will put the  Covid19+ under quarantine and medical care. Once the person tests clear, the person will be free to enter Thailand subject to the visa requirements.

6.      Once arrived in Thailand, every STV visa holder must follow the public health and safety measure set by the Thai Ministry of Public Health. If the STV visa holder has been tested positive for covid-19 at the airport, the STV visa holder will immediately be sent to the approved hospital. If the STV visa holder has been tested negative for covid-19 at the airport, the STV visa holder will pass through immigration.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1184123-initial-stv-application-instruction-from-thailand-longstay-company/#comments

Sounds like you only pass immigration if you test negative. But they also don't deport you if you have covid.

Probably people will be admitted to Thailand once they test negative.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:23 PM, Captain Monday said:

Right. But there is no medical reason to hospitalize non symptomatic positive test cases (several reasons)

They should be kept in quarantine hotels. This was being done in Japan while I was there this year for 3 months. Main reason keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and unnecessary costs.

Totally agree, less risk to others.

The quarantine hotels ( if rules followed strictly ) are more than suitable for + cases that show no symptoms.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:08 PM, Sheryl said:

You are required to have a COVID test within 72 hours of departure to Thailand. If it id positive, you will not be allowed to come.

If the test done on arrival is positive, you will be hospitalized. The test is done after you have passed immigration and indeed, often not till the next day with another day for the results to come. You are already in the country at this point.

You have first hand knowledge of a + being sent to hospital ( without showing any symptoms ). don't really see the point in this...

I recently returned from a country where if you tested + ( without symptoms ) you were released 14 days later by the nation health agency, you did not need a negative test to be released. It was assumed that your viral load was low enough not to spread.  This is with no shown symptoms.

Hospitalizing everyone who tests positive, even if asymptomatic, and keeping them in hospital until negative has been Thai policy from day one.

the number of cases has been small enough that it is has been possible to do this. Not an option for most countries.

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Hospitalizing everyone who tests positive, even if asymptomatic, and keeping them in hospital until negative has been Thai policy from day one.

the number of cases has been small enough that it is has been possible to do this. Not an option for most countries.

The hospitals are probably still Siriraj, Chula, BIDI and Mahidol (IIRC), or do you have better information? Months ago I estimated the capacity somewhere between 500-600s dedicated COVID beds.

47 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The hospitals are probably still Siriraj, Chula, BIDI and Mahidol (IIRC), or do you have better information? Months ago I estimated the capacity somewhere between 500-600s dedicated COVID beds.

Multiple hospitals. Ramathibodhi for sure. Also at least the regional hospitals upcountry.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Thanks @jackdd.  So tourists(officially non-residents) who have already cleared quarantine or arrived prior to this rule, are off the hook? Only new arrivals, yes?

This is for arrivals in Thailand and for people who apply for permanent residency. Nothing about extensions.

Currently (before this order is effective) we are required to get the Covid test anyway, so I don't think this will have any real practical change for now. I guess they just wanted to have this formalized in their Immigration rules.

How it will be handled next year or so has to be seen, maybe then it will just be ignored, same as the other diseases on the list. I assume nobody here has been asked for a negative Leprosy test when entering Thailand.

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is for arrivals in Thailand and for people who apply for permanent residency. Nothing about extensions.

Currently (before this order is effective) we are required to get the Covid test anyway, so I don't think this will have any real practical change for now. I guess they just wanted to have this formalized in their Immigration rules.

How it will be handled next year or so has to be seen, maybe then it will just be ignored, same as the other diseases on the list. I assume nobody here has been asked for a negative Leprosy test when entering Thailand.

There's a government PR video on facebook.

The department of Labour are making a change, not necessarily this change you reference here but it's talked about in todays video.

COVID-19 is being added to the list of diseases that you need to be certified free of to get a work permit issued.

Link to government propaganda video : https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1358154151188015

Richard Barrow has a long running facebook thread going where he seems to have convinced everyone from tourists to retirees that they also need to get a test vefore renewing ????

I've never had a work permit, do you need to provide a medical certificate each time you renew your work permit? If you do then it looks to me like you're also going to need a negative COVID test by the looks of it.

I'm no Einstein but it appears the Covid test is being added to the relevant sections of the immigration act that requires medical certificates to obtain specific visas from your home country or obtaing a work permit here. The falangies on Richards blog have all.got their knickers in a knot, along with gnashing of teeth and hand wringing maak......

???? The need for a COVID test are being added to the following in the Immigration Act:

SECTION 12 Aliens falling into any of the following categories are excluded from entering the Kingdom (4) Being of unsound mind or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations. 

1. Leprosy

2. TB at dangerous stage

3. Lymphatic filariasis (elephantiasis)

4. Drug addiction

5. Stage 3 syphilis

6. Coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19

SECTION 44 No alien shall take up residency in the Kingdom, if (2) it appears that such alien is unable to earn own living because of physical infirmity or mental defect or having any diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

1. Leprosy

2. TB at dangerous stage

3. Lymphatic filariasis (elephantiasis)

4. Drug addiction

5. Alcoholism 

6.Stage 3 syphilis

7. Coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=257214752431462&id=100044288176713

49 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Don’t let facts get on the way of such an attractive headline...

If the headline we’re ‘Permanent Resident Applicant require negative Covid-19 test’ thus thread would not have any comments. 

One possible consequence, but I think not relevant for us western people:

Immigration uses Immigration act section 12 (to which they now added Covid) as the reasons for revoking somebody's visa (usually after comitting a crime or similar), if they want to have this person deported. So it would now be technically possible to revoke somebody's visa who tests positive for Covid.

If we test positive for covid they could now theoretically revoke our visa and kick us out. Putting a confirmed Covid case on a plane with many other people is obviously not a viable option (milking us for "treatment" in a hospital is the way better option for Thailand anyway), so nothing to worry if you are not a migrant worker from one of the surrounding countries.

But I would not rule out that they use this for migrant workers who test positive. Just think about what happened in Samut Sakhon, suddenly hundreds of infected people who they have to quarantine, treat, feed and what not. Would be way easier to revoke their visa, put them on trucks and drop them off at the border. Now they can legally do this.

Good luck getting all those low paid Burmese workers to pay out 1000's of Baht for a COVID test they don't medically need - I guess the employer will pay this, because if they don't they might just find that there's another mass exodus of migrant workers.

Nobody's going to give up 20 to 30% of a months 'salary' for a COVID test when they're not ill.

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've never had a work permit, do you need to provide a medical certificate each time you renew your work permit? If you do then it looks to me like you're also going to need a negative COVID test by the looks of it.

I used to have one before I retired. That was five years ago. Then, at least, you were required to have a medical exam every year to renew the work permit. But you were not required to be tested for anything. I usually went to a clinic around the corner from Mahidol, where I worked, and got the medical certificate for 50 baht. 

Archived