DHL "extended liability" scam

Khun Ron

Earlier this afternoon, I sent a letter to the USA at the DHL service center in Phuket. When the invoice was printed out by the counter staff and presented to me, I noticed an additional charge of THB100 for "Extended Liability (IB)". I enquired as to the nature of the charge and was informed by the counter staff that she could delete the charge and reprint the invoice but that her computer AUTOMATICALLY included this charge when she prepared the customer invoice. My complaint is the fact that the nature of this OPTIONAL charge was not explained to me beforehand by the DHL counter staff and I was never asked whether I wanted to avail myself of this service option!  I consider this lack of explanation and the fact that the DHL computerized billing system has been set up in such a way as to automatically include this optional charge in their billings to customers to be deliberately fraudulent .  I don't know how many DHL customers like myself have been overcharged in this manner but I suspect that it is many hundreds of thousands of customers, if not more. I am extremely disappointed that such a well-known company needs to resort to such fraudulent activity.