Where to "Stash the Cash" now?

Mario666

stock is overpriced virtual whatever you call it

it produce nothing, but speculation, it is easily manipulated, the only winners are THE INSIDE TRADERS at high place that know that government xyz will place an order at xyz company and that stock will rise like a rocket

or those nice goldman sachs people selling <deleted> and repack it to others as A++

remember 2008

bank putting their guarantee to only 1 million baht SCAM might also be something to not look forward too

pushing for GOLD now ?  when it is already going down in value again ...

can a non-thai even buy long term funds in thailand ?

and would you even trust the governmetn ? 

they are pushing the following GENERATIONS into debt

you thought YINGLUCK stole 300-600 billion baht, now we are counting in trillions of debt

Edited by Bender Rodriguez
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mario666 said:

Who knows we might even see global "Deflation"

Actually, I think it has been going on to some extent for a while now... most visible in the oil crash that took prices briefly below zero... seemed to recover rather quickly but still a bit low? And it explains the lack of inflation in spite of the printing going on... 

Like your friend, I am out of both ideas and understanding... I think one of the advantages of being "out" of the markets is that you can sleep better... 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, bwpage3 said:

A friend of mine who is the author of 4 financial books (more coming) and a PhD, has made over US $1,000,000 in the stock market since COVID started. He is in his early 40's and retired doing nothing but authoring books and making a mint in the market.

That's the difference between a world class expert and someone who saw a financial tsunami coming.

waren buffet ? bill gates ?

• Haha 2

On 9/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, Brunolem said:

One word: diversify!

Fixed deposits (less and less), gold bars, prime real estate, bonds, and even cows!

Bitcoins and similar crypto may be interesting, for those willing to involve themselves in these rather complicated investments.

We are heading toward a huge, worldwide, economic crisis, and like a ship in the middle of a giant tempest, it is difficult to anticipate where the winds and the sea are going to lead us.

There is also a "great reset" coming to us, thanks to the Davos people (on their 2021 menu), and there are reasons to worry about this scheme.

I think once a vaccine is in circulation global economies will boom again. no reason not to. I expect a fast recovery with rates this low

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

Many people say gold is going to $5000.

IMO the right time for buying gold was before 2007 (you could really win). Gold works just like stuck market now. Up and down games to get money out of small investors pocket. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

The state of the world right now gold and silver looks like your best bet.

What i understand that in case of a 'reset' as someone else mentioned gold and silver are the best bets?

The same small piece of gold that could buy fifty loafs of bread 100 years ago can buy fifty loafs today?

Or is that too simple?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bbabythai said:

I think once a vaccine is in circulation global economies will boom again. no reason not to. I expect a fast recovery with rates this low

Global economies were not booming at all before the pandemic. 

They simply can't because they are crushed with too much debt. 

They were merely moving along thanks to zero interest rates and massive injections of liquidity by central banks. 

Since there is now even more debt than before, there is even less possibility to see an economic boom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Who knows we might even see global "Deflation" which will somewhat upset the Capitalist model?

They won't let deflation settle because they can't, because there is far too much debt. 

On the contrary, they need inflation, lots of it, to eat away the debt... and they will do whatever they can to get it. 

If necessary they will credit people's accounts with freshly created money in order to push them to spend. 

Talks about that are happening right now... 

On 9/22/2020 at 6:49 PM, Mario666 said:

Thanks for that...As I said I am in cash and even then with numerous Banks....I have looked at the Weiss stuff and they are pushing GOLD, but I lost before on GOLD over a 5 year period!....I am not a young boy, so people telling me to invest in "Long Term" stocks is not appealing anymore!

I followed Weiss for a while but finally realized that they are too frantic and hyperbolic about every event. They heavily push their own products such as their newsletters and its next to impossible to get off their mail lists. They try to influence by creating panic. There are more sober sources of information out there. 

I bought gold and silver several years ago but it was and should be used as a hedge against paper investments and currency, not as a profit investment. Of course you should take physical possession or keep in a vault. Paper metals are still just paper. At this point I'm well ahead on those investments but will deplete most of my fiat cash before selling the metals. 

Like you I'm not playing stocks anymore. I'm more interested in preserving what I have than increasing it with longterm gambles. 

You could do worse than buying jewelry and storing it yourself here. Easy and private to buy/sell here. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 6:28 PM, Mario666 said:

Fortunately, I saw the Covid-19 Financial "Tsunami" coming and on February 18th moved all my stocks and pensions into cash.

I bet you're kicking yourself now for such a basic error.

So many large, general funds, widely held, have done rather well well since the start of the lockdown (and I'm pretty sure you'll recognise all these names).  For example:

Fundsmith Equity, up 28.7%

Lindsell Train Global Equity up 24.6%

Baillie Gifford American up 101.3%

Fidelity Global Special Situations up 35.1%

Even a simple index tracker has done pretty well:

Fidelity Index World up 31.6%

Looking at popular investment trusts:

Scottish Mortgage up 108%

Finsbury Growth & Income up 26.7%

Smithson up 51.6%

F&C up 41.3%

Monks up 70%

As they say, it's time in the market, not timing the market.

As for where to put your money now, pretty much any of the above would be rather better than keeping yourself in cash.

All figures from https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-8764435/What-best-selling-funds-trusts-shares-lockdown.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Even a simple index tracker has done pretty well:

Exactly. As Random Walk down Wall Street + any number of Boglehead books prove: indexes consistently beat actively managed funds. After reading their stuff about 10 years ago I moved every penny I owned into a total market index stock fund. And haven't looked back since.

And the nice thing about this simple investment strategy is that it's zero sweat. No balancing, rebalancing, no need to follow the ticker, no need to sell, buy, put, call, blah blah. No need to pretend to be a pro which you're never going to be. Just put everything into one diversified index with a reputable broker like Fidelity or Vanguard and roll over and go to sleep.

Edited by Why Me

4 minutes ago, Why Me said:

indexes consistently beat actively managed funds.

No.  That's the kool-aid peddled by Bogle and others of his ilk who have a vested interest in getting investors to put their money into mediocre index trackers.

Indexes consistently beat average actively managed funds.  However, with a bit of research in most markets it's possible to identify better than average funds that have, and will continue, to outperform index trackers - often by massive margins.

I write "most markets" because in the US large cap arena, where virtually all the research on active vs. passive has been performed market efficiency makes it exceptionally difficult for active managers to perform after fees.  However, in most of the world the markets are less efficient, so good active managers can consistently outperform over the economic cycle.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:23 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Wish I could see that "Tsunami" coming as I am now 50% down on most of my blue chip stocks and most dividends have been cancelled too, that said, I have enough in reserves (bank) to keep me going for another 4 years before I have to start selling some shares at either a loss or profit, hopefully the latter.

Work out what it costs you to survive per month and maybe you will see that there is enough there for you to survive on till you pop your clogs so to speak.

Like I said, maybe start living off of your cash as I wouldn't be wanting to be investing in anything at the moment, too risky with a lot of the unknowns.

Same here.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 8:17 PM, Mario666 said:

Thank you for your reply.

I am sure your Doctor friend also saw the "Financial Tsunami" coming?

Perhaps you could share his name and his "bibliography" for the benefit of the Forum???

Gatsby

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

No.  That's the kool-aid peddled by Bogle and others of his ilk who have a vested interest in getting investors to put their money into mediocre index trackers.

Have you looked at the data in Random Walk and Jack's articles? There's solid numbers to back up their thesis. Ain't no kool-aid, kid.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

However, in most of the world the markets are less efficient, so good active managers can consistently outperform over the economic cycle.

Can you define "less efficient":-)? In any case I would index only in mature markets. You need a diverse base of big companies for indexing to work. E.g., a developing economy like India where the Nifty has 50 cos. and the Sensex 30 is a lousy target for indexing. Could you get rich investing there? Sure but you or your fund manager would have to have access to a lot of opaque data. And then the exchange rate could bite you.

I started off investing in individual stocks and actively managed funds myself, including offshore, and then quit after years of doing ok but not great. When I saw the numbers re indexing ten years ago I switched over every penny, tripled my worth to well over a mil and sleep easy to boot. No sweating market ups/down or individual company prices. I would strongly recommend this strategy to others, simple and safe.

Like Jack said, why look for the needle in the haystack when you can buy the whole haystack:-)

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Have you looked at the data in Random Walk and Jack's articles? There's solid numbers to back up their thesis. Ain't no kool-aid, kid.

Can you define "less efficient":-)? In any case I would index only in mature markets. You need a diverse base of big companies for indexing to work. E.g., a developing economy like India where the Nifty has 50 cos. and the Sensex 30 is a lousy target for indexing. Could you get rich investing there? Sure but you or your fund manager would have to have access to a lot of opaque data. And then the exchange rate could bite you.

I started off investing in individual stocks and actively managed funds myself, including offshore, and then quit after years of doing ok but not great. When I saw the numbers re indexing ten years ago I switched over every penny, tripled my worth to well over a mil and sleep easy to boot. No sweating market ups/down or individual company prices. I would strongly recommend this strategy to others, simple and safe.

Like Jack said, why look for the needle in the haystack when you can buy the whole haystack:-)

Yeah but ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! :sleepy:

We are heading toward a huge, worldwide, economic crisis, and like a ship in the middle of a giant tempest, it is difficult to anticipate where the winds and the sea are going to lead us.

Correct .

The foreseeable future, ?..

Which pharmaceutical companies , are going to offer a Covid-19 vaccine ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 9:59 PM, tweedledee2 said:

You saw the market spiraling downward on Feb 18, but didn't forecast the turn around in mid-May. Sorry, but you lost money. You should have bought instead of sold. It will cost you more money to reinvest. I learned many years ago to never try to predict the market. Even experts fail. 

I have an IRA with TRowe Price that has a 1-year return of 15.44%, a year to date of 7.81% and the last quarter of 25.45%. This IRA was rolled over from my self funded TRP 401k company retirement plan account and I haven't withdrawn any money since opening the original 401k.     

Thia ladies will love being with you.

23 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Yeah but ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! :sleepy:

I agree indexing is boring but I like ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$$$$$$$$$$$$ZZZZZZZZZZZ$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

I get my excitement from Natasha, Olga, Gina, ...:-)

And no racing from market to cash to market to, which is entirely silly because nobody can time the market. I believe you mentioned in your OP about cashing out before the pandemic. As others have pointed out you actually lost money that way because the market came back and some. Timing is a loser's game.

Neither can you pick the next FB or NFLX. Or maybe you can if spend hrs a day poring over balance sheets and market data. And even then you're up against pros with million dollar technology and inside access.

Just stay in, stay indexed. If you are still in cash and don't need to get rich by next Tues then read books/research papers and see if you believe. I did.

Glad to see some people are making money.....

My experiences of investing ......

1. Took out a 15 year life insurance with dividends in the early 80's. When it matured, the return was hallf of the amount 'promised'. I worked out i would have done better with a building society!

2. An IFA tried to get me to take out an endowment mortgage in the early 90's. If i had followed his advice the mortgage would never have been paid off.

3. Tracker funds - i invested in one in 2001 and made about 90% profit in the next 7 years - in the next 8 years still at the same level! So i  cashed out. it went up a bit afterwards but in the last 5 years has only gained less than 20% - mostly due to the Brexit devaluation pushing up stock values. In the last 3 years it has been negative. I reinvested my tracker money in international funds, they did well and made about 25% in the last 3 years - even up in the last year.

4. IFA again, I was made redundant in 2007, the IFA told me to put  all my redundancy money into unit trusts (just before the 2008 crash!). I would have lost half my money. I put it all into long term Fixed interest and made 25% while the unit trusts were recovering. Pity that because they were long term deposits didn't have the cash to reinvest in 2009 ...........

So my experiences are never trust an IFA, be wary of tracker funds (The FTSE has basically gained nothing since 2008) and always look for a good but safe interest rate for short to medium term money (although this year the last of the above inflation accounts have all put rates down to under 1%). Future - now is the time to spend it before capitalism collapses?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rickudon said:

Glad to see some people are making money.....

My experiences of investing ......

1. Took out a 15 year life insurance with dividends in the early 80's. When it matured, the return was hallf of the amount 'promised'. I worked out i would have done better with a building society!

2. An IFA tried to get me to take out an endowment mortgage in the early 90's. If i had followed his advice the mortgage would never have been paid off.

3. Tracker funds - i invested in one in 2001 and made about 90% profit in the next 7 years - in the next 8 years still at the same level! So i  cashed out. it went up a bit afterwards but in the last 5 years has only gained less than 20% - mostly due to the Brexit devaluation pushing up stock values. In the last 3 years it has been negative. I reinvested my tracker money in international funds, they did well and made about 25% in the last 3 years - even up in the last year.

4. IFA again, I was made redundant in 2007, the IFA told me to put  all my redundancy money into unit trusts (just before the 2008 crash!). I would have lost half my money. I put it all into long term Fixed interest and made 25% while the unit trusts were recovering. Pity that because they were long term deposits didn't have the cash to reinvest in 2009 ...........

So my experiences are never trust an IFA, be wary of tracker funds (The FTSE has basically gained nothing since 2008) and always look for a good but safe interest rate for short to medium term money (although this year the last of the above inflation accounts have all put rates down to under 1%). Future - now is the time to spend it before capitalism collapses?

Wow!....That's a "Hell of a Ride", but could have been much worse!

Many have lost "The Lot"!

Sounds like you got away in time though?

• Like 1

bonds and dividend paying stocks and cash under the mattress. High high quality only. Including the mattress.

My crystal ball says there will be great tumult after the voting in the third-world country called  Divided Dictatorship of America (DDA).Not to be confused with USA. My apologies to third world countries for the comparison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:04 AM, Mario666 said:

Wow!....That's a "Hell of a Ride", but could have been much worse!

Many have lost "The Lot"!

Sounds like you got away in time though?

Yes,  had some poor investments, but never actually lost money on what i paid in ..... but as investments go, a poor return. I dumped my tracker fund because iof it's poor performance between 2010 and 2015 and because of Brexit also dumped some sterling bonds that had shown slowly deteriorating returns - so far the international funds have done well.

As for cash, i was content as long as i got an inflation beating rate, and until 2 years ago averaged about 3% or more (interest paying current accounts, monthly savers, an ISA). I only had about one years income equivalent in cash so didn't need anything else. However, interest rates have plummeted in the last 2 years and see no point in keeping much cash now, slowly running it down...... I can borrow at 3%, so if cash urgently needed, use credit card and will borrow to pay off credit card..

Bitcoins and similar crypto may be interesting, for those willing to involve themselves in these rather complicated investments.

Not complicated at all. I've been buying since early 2017. 

There's a great coin OMG which is by Omisego, a Thai company with its CEO an ex World Bank employee and relative of Korn Chatikawanij(former Minister of Finance). The company was bought recently by Thailand's richest man, the CP guy. This parnership as well as all the technical details make this a company that will x10 for sure in the next few months.