Where to "Stash the Cash" now?

Mario666

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not complicated at all. I've been buying since early 2017. 

There's a great coin OMG which is by Omisego, a Thai company with its CEO an ex World Bank employee and relative of Korn Chatikawanij(former Minister of Finance). The company was bought recently by Thailand's richest man, the CP guy. This parnership as well as all the technical details make this a company that will x10 for sure in the next few months. 

If the upcoming crypto yuan is backed by gold, at least partially, I will buy...

25 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

If the upcoming crypto yuan is backed by gold, at least partially, I will buy...

From the completely uninitiated: How will you come to know and if you want to buy (I assume you are based in Thailand) how ? I tried to buy some gold from a local bank here (where we have significant amounts) and they not even sell that. You need a broker (who, where) ? Or you do that online ? I am talking about the "crypto yuan" or "the" coin by "Omisego" (which seems to be some kind of trading platform - but I have never heard of it).

On 9/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, bwpage3 said:

A friend of mine who is the author of 4 financial books (more coming) and a PhD, has made over US $1,000,000 in the stock market since COVID started. He is in his early 40's and retired doing nothing but authoring books and making a mint in the market.

That's the difference between a world class expert and someone who saw a financial tsunami coming.

Is he the financial equivalent of David Icke?

Don't get me wrong, congratulations to him for making pots of dosh but it doesn't automatically make him an expert at anything except writing books.

And his PhD makes him, as we know, a Doctor of Philosophy so certainly implies intelligence, but not necessarily expertise.

Not insulting you or your friend merely pointing out that your first sentence doesn't prove that he's the person to whom we should be listening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

From the completely uninitiated: How will you come to know and if you want to buy (I assume you are based in Thailand) how ? I tried to buy some gold from a local bank here (where we have significant amounts) and they not even sell that. You need a broker (who, where) ? Or you do that online ? I am talking about the "crypto yuan" or "the" coin by "Omisego" (which seems to be some kind of trading platform - but I have never heard of it).

In Thailand you buy gold from the multiple gold shops...anonymous and tax free.

For the crypto yuan, we don't know much about it yet, except that they are actively working on it.

Since it will be an official currency, as opposed to the current private ones, I suppose that we will have to buy it using a bank, or a money changer...let's wait and see...

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In Thailand you buy gold from the multiple gold shops...anonymous and tax free.

Do you trust these shops ? How you can check the purity (23K ?, 24K ? ?K ?). And then rumours go that gold (there are even small "bars" I have heard) bought from one shop may not be sold again somewhere else easily. Completely ridiculous. I was living in Switzerland (Zurich) before. 5 minutes walk and you get any internationally accepted gold bar of any size in the highest purity from a bank with the highest reputation.

So for the crypto yuan you rely on official publications (press) then and buy from a Thai bank. We dont have any international accounts anymore. Since it will be an official currency as you say volatility would most probably be limited. 30% net profit therefore out of reach or not ? The 30 is just a fantasy figure invented by myself knowing that bitcoins may gain (or loose) value exeptionally much and fast - at least the private ones.

Edited by moogradod

5 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Do you trust these shops ? How you can check the purity (23K ?, 24K ? ?K ?). And then rumours go that gold (there are even small "bars" I have heard) bought from one shop may not be sold again somewhere else easily. 

I don't know where you got these rumors.

The Thai system has been running smoothly for decades.

Shops do sell small and big bars, and buy them back minus a small commission.

There are plenty of shops, the red ones, but it's as if there was only one, run by a big Chinese family.

I have bought and sold for years, from multiple shops, in multiple cities, without a problem.

The whole system is built on trust.

If the rumors you heard were true, people would rush to the shops and the system would collapse.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I don't know where you got these rumors.

Rumours ? Guess. Here on TV of course ????. But generally speaking you should be right with what you say. Thanks.

Precise, complete and reliable information is often quite rare here in Thailand I have learned. I remember the saleswoman pretending that their shop did not sell a specific item only to discover that some 3 m away there was a big pile of said item openly on display.

And then the day when I got two completely different answers to a question within the same bank within a period of some minutes from two different employees of the same bank. Priceless.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, bwpage3 said:

A friend of mine who is the author of 4 financial books (more coming) and a PhD, has made over US $1,000,000 in the stock market since COVID started. He is in his early 40's and retired doing nothing but authoring books and making a mint in the market.

That's the difference between a world class expert and someone who saw a financial tsunami coming.

you said "retired doing nothing but..." thus no longer investing (which was so profitable!!!) question... is he making more than $1,000,000 just authoring books I asked as I am looking for a new job and authoring books seems within my reach

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you said "retired doing nothing but..." thus no longer investing (which was so profitable!!!) question... is he making more than $1,000,000 just authoring books I asked as I am looking for a new job and authoring books seems within my reach

Stick to your current job.

You are not a PhD and you appear to have a hard time with comprehension.

1 sentence says He made a million dollars since Covid.

It never says what he was doing the previous 40 years now does it?

So happens he also owns a bunch of real estate rentals.

If you could make a $1,000,000, you would have already made it. 

You wouldn't be on a Thai forum looking for ideas.

4 hours ago, VBF said:

Is he the financial equivalent of David Icke?

Don't get me wrong, congratulations to him for making pots of dosh but it doesn't automatically make him an expert at anything except writing books.

And his PhD makes him, as we know, a Doctor of Philosophy so certainly implies intelligence, but not necessarily expertise.

Not insulting you or your friend merely pointing out that your first sentence doesn't prove that he's the person to whom we should be listening.

Get some best sellers on Amazon and then we can listen to you!

In the meantime, come up with a list of people you know, who are not necessarily a PhD or any expertise, that made $1,000,000 the past 6 months.

What is your PROOF, when you determine who you should be listening to?

Self-made, financially educated millionaire and author of multiple financial books, or the people on this forum?

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

I still have a fair chunk of money in a term deposit which is paying me 2.5%, and sometime next year I will have to look at doing something else with that.

The point I'm trying to make is that if one has a plan and that plan includes drawing down on some capital, subsidised by dividends and bank interest, then perhaps there will be enough to last until one does depart this mortal coil, which is where I'm currently at with my thinking.

That is the whole point, i.e. diversification, i.e. without a plan, you have no plan, you just exists and rott, so those that have a plan will always find a way to go forward.

The future doesn't look so good for the kids here or anywhere else for that matter thanks to Covid plandemic as I see too many students finishing university with no jobs or working for the basic wages that 7/11 or Tesco/Lotus are paying, etc etc, so said to the wife the other say, we will get them the educational requirements that they need, but at the same time we will venture into a business plan where we can make things from home and sell them online and we will teach them how to participate and end up being self employed for a wage working from home, starting small and working it up to a comfortable scale where one has a work life balance at home, and once they get the hang of it they can set up their own in their own little habitats, like I said, without a plan, you don't have a plan.

20 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Get some best sellers on Amazon and then we can listen to you!

In the meantime, come up with a list of people you know, who are not necessarily a PhD or any expertise, that made $1,000,000 the past 6 months.

What is your PROOF, when you determine who you should be listening to?

Self-made, financially educated millionaire and author of multiple financial books, or the people on this forum?

Self-made, financially educated millionaire YES

author of multiple financial books NO!

or the people on this forum? One or Two!

On 9/27/2020 at 5:45 AM, VBF said:

Self-made, financially educated millionaire YES

author of multiple financial books NO!

or the people on this forum? One or Two!

Didn't you know every bloke that moved to Thailand is a self-made millionaire?

They moved to the cheap, 3rd world, to make their million stretch a little further.

• Haha 2

On 9/24/2020 at 11:14 PM, rickudon said:

be wary of tracker funds (The FTSE has basically gained nothing since 2008)

Do bear in mind that the FTSE is not a total return index.  Once you factor in dividends, it's done rather better.

Individual sectors within the FTSE have had rather different performances.  For example:

FTSE 350 Oil & Gas was 7,486.5 on 1/Jan/2008, and is currently 3,645.9, so down 51.3%

FTSE 350 Financial Services was 7,542.7, and is currently 10,816.9 so up 43.4% over the same period.

Successful investing is as much about avoiding the losers as picking winners.

Even back in 2008 an informed investor would have known that traditional fuels didn't have a bright future, so could have eschewed such investment by investing in funds which are more focused on areas of the market which are likely to be successful.

So yes, be wary of tracker funds that invest in the bad as well as the good and the mediocre.

(The two FTSE sectors were picked because I pretty much knew what the performance was going to look like.  I have no idea if they're the best and/or worst performing sectors over the period.)

• Like 2