7 days to leave if visa not extended?

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Afaik there is no document to apply for the '7 days to exit the Country'.  Because that 7-day period is provided to those that are unable to meet the regular extension requirements, and thus have to leave the country and the 7-day period allowing them to organize for their leave.

So you would need to apply (and pay) for a regular extension, even though you know you cannot meet the requirements.  Telling the 'document checkers' outside the IO that that is your intention, they would have to let you in (otherwise it would be impossible to get hold of such 7-day period).

It's also logical that there are not yet any reports on people making use of that option, as everybody is still covered by the Amnesty and would normally wait till very last day (Saturday 26 Sept, and therefor Monday 28 Sept) to apply for it, in order not to lose any days (as IO can also provide a shorter period than 7 days, if they think it appropriate).

I'm waiting for the embassy letter. Would they even let me submit my extension application without it if I can't get past the document checkers? 

Edited by Fibonaqi

17 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

I'm waiting for the embassy letter. Would they even let me submit my extension application without it if I can't get past the document checkers? 

at MTT? no, you won't be let in without a valid embassy letter to begin with. they go through the letter and confirm all the details match up with your passport (along with all your other docs).

Obviously I hadn't tried asking myself but judging from personal experience and the numerous people I saw being turned away for not having their docs in order, it's not a matter of negotiating with them like "I don't have my letter could you let me in so I can get the 7 days anyway" nor are they in the mood to engage with you & listen as I'm assuming they're dealing with hundreds of people in similar situations every day this week. From what I saw (again, personal experience yesterday), it's 30 days with embassy letter or bust. Yes, in regular times if your application fails & you pay the 1900B you'd still get 7 days anyway, but I believe the amnesty takes precedent here instead.

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

at MTT? no, you won't be let in without a valid embassy letter to begin with

Then how could he ever get hold of the 7-day period stamp to leave the country, for those that are not able to meet the requirements for a regular extension?

See also post #31 above.

14 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Then how could he ever get hold of the 7-day period stamp to leave the country, for those that are not able to meet the requirements for a regular extension?

See also post #31 above.

From Sunday you have to leave the country when you don't have a visa. you won't get a chance on Monday this time. Phuket immigration is even open on Saturday. Think it is beyond stupid to leave it that late anyhow.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Fibonaqi said:

The UK embassy was not giving out letters previously for short stay visas and have only apparently relaxed the rules a bit the last few days. I'm by no means desperate and have already got the exit covered on Saturday. If you don't have any useful info to contribute, kindly keep your curmudgeneous troll thoughts to yourself. 

So pray tell us all fella what you have been doing for the last 6 months........................

Same old story thread after thread over this amnesty termination. Pathetic that apparently over 100,000 are still desperately hoping against hope for an extension

As for the troll part that in fact is YOU. You need to leave no excuses get a flight out

• Like 1

They just don't get it! Many has impossible to leave ! And there don't have enough flight's !

And many airline wan't now covid test before departure! They have sort it out , mean they money issue!

If 50000 foreigner stuck here they get 25 million bth / day in own pocket! Not to people here , in coverment criminal a holes! And other 50000 foreigner pay 1900 bth to IO!

95 million bth!

Edited by 2 is 1

52 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

From Sunday you have to leave the country when you don't have a visa. you won't get a chance on Monday this time. Phuket immigration is even open on Saturday. Think it is beyond stupid to leave it that late anyhow.

You are projecting if you were me...but you don't know what you don't know. I am ready and prepared to leave on Saturday if it comes to it and have always had that exit plan. If there is an option to stay for 30 more days, as someone pointed out the UK embassy relenting yesterday, I'm exploring that option because we are enjoying being in Thailand and would not mind 30 more days (the hotel deals are amazing right now, no crowds). I am not counting on it. If the embassy letter doesn't come in time, no big deal. We leave on Saturday, as we have left Thailand many times before. What you may not know if you have been stuck in Thailand for a while is that there is no advantage in booking flights early these days. I have had several flights cancelled in March and had to deal with delayed refunds, disputes and such, very tedious and unfair the way some airlines try to keep your money. No problems with flights and last minute booking to where I want to go AFAIK. So nothing to lose for me to see if the 30 day extension is an option.

Edited by Fibonaqi

Am I correct in assuming that a flight to Helsinki (from BKK) and a 40 minute stopover before a flight to LHR, would do away with self-isolation in the UK as both countries are currently exempt from compulsory isolation?  As the new list of exempt from quarantine countries list now includes both Singapore and Thailand, I'd checked Kayak/skyscanner etc. looking for an alternative, but the price and layovers in Singapore were too much/long.  

1 hour ago, phetchy said:

Am I correct in assuming that a flight to Helsinki (from BKK) and a 40 minute stopover before a flight to LHR, would do away with self-isolation in the UK as both countries are currently exempt from compulsory isolation?  As the new list of exempt from quarantine countries list now includes both Singapore and Thailand, I'd checked Kayak/skyscanner etc. looking for an alternative, but the price and layovers in Singapore were too much/long.  

@phetchy, you might want to start a new thread on this for a better response. The last time I look Thailand was on the clean list for some European countries. I would check again from an official source though.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

Agree its beyond utterly farcical that people are letting it go down to the wire despite multiple warnings.

Not at all. No problem waiting to the last day as long as you have proper grounds for visa extension. The IO here actually told me to come back on Friday, to get the extra 2 days.

30 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Not at all. No problem waiting to the last day as long as you have proper grounds for visa extension. The IO here actually told me to come back on Friday, to get the extra 2 days.

Although I agree with your stance, the argument of the IO demonstrates once again how clueless they are because Immigration announced some weeks ago that ALL extensions of stay applied for during the Amnesty period would have 27 September as start-date. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swimfan said:

The harsh reality is that people have actually had 6 months to get their affairs in order and return home. It was made clear at the beginning of the last amnesty what the options would be once it expired. There will be some genuine cases where people are struggling to get flights to certain countries but for the most part, most would have probably been able to return home by now if they tried. Most have stayed on wishful thinking that the amnesty would be extended and are now scrambling to put something together. You cant blame Thailand for that.

No harsh reality for me as there's always a quick exit plan, just optimizing choices. It turned out that last minute arrangements are paying off in my case as I now managed to get an embassy letter which would not have been given a few weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Twofold:

1 - In spite of the Immigration Announcement that ALL extensions of stay applied for during the Amnesty period would have 27 September as start-date, several IOs ignored that Announcement even when shown the official Immigration announcement on the Imm website and provided the extensions from date of application.  As a result of reports exposing that practice many applicants refrained from applying earlier (as several also needed sufficient time to season the 800K or 400K funds in bank for their 1-year extension of stay application).

2 - Nowhere did the Immigration Announcements imply that the procedures put in place during the Amnesty, would supersede or void 'regular' Immigration practices/procedures, but many applicants had their fully legit applications refused by rogue IOs using the 'Amnesty' as excuse.  The clearest example being the 'regular' 30-day extensions of stay for VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entries, that were denied by several IOs only willing to provide Embassy letter supported extensions.  Applicants had to travel to CM, Samui, Ubon, Mae Hon Song, to get the regular extension their VE/TR entry entitled them to.

Thats just some immigration officers not doing their job properly 

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

That's just some immigration officers not doing their job properly 

Yes, but if there is no recurse possible against local Imm officers (and the officer in charge) denying your fully legit extension application or short-changing you on the days you need for your subsequent extension, the end result is the same.

And it's not 'just some' imm officers, but a systemic Immigration issue.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Adam219 said:

Most I found were with finnair, via helsinki, to Austria, Germany and Italy. Austria is a no-go, they dont accept visitors from Thailand when I checked. Same for germany. I cant remember about Italy. Helsinki/Finland is also a no-go.

There arent many options. But, there are many flights to the UK!

I haven't read anything that says international passengers in transit to non- Schengen countries and thus staying 'air side' are prevented from transiting Frankfurt, Amsterdam or Helsinki. If there are links to these as official notifications, it would be good to share them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Although I agree with your stance, the argument of the IO demonstrates once again how clueless they are because Immigration announced some weeks ago that ALL extensions of stay applied for during the Amnesty period would have 27 September as start-date. 

AFAIK most Immigration offices appear to be complying with that rule. It's tough luck if someone is "stranded" in Phuket.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, asiacurious said:

True!  And yet.....  Giving people 7 days actual notice to leave when there is a pandemic raging around the world is not only cruel, it's unreasonable and probably not possible.

Those who decided to disbelieve the Immigration announcement in July, and gambled on a change of heart by the authorities may have gambled and lost. Leaving will be possible, but may be expensive, and may not be to where you want to go. You will need to pick the least distasteful destination based on your circumstances, or immediately contact a good agent and get some kind of short term extension at a price, or gamble again and overstay hoping you are luckier this time.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 8:39 PM, Phillip9 said:

These flights you are sighting were canceled months ago.  For example, I know there haven't been flights maldives for months and they were all cancelled months ago.  Im pretty sure the same is true for many other destinations you list--bhutan, bangladesh....  There were not 3 flights to the philippines scheduled today.  philippines airline has been flying reliably, but they only have 2-3 flights a month scheduled.  For the japan and hongkong flights--I would bet they were cancelled months ago.

too.

Even pre-covid, there have never been direct flights to the USA from bkk.  I doubt there were any from canada or south america either.

99% of the flights scheduled between now and the 26th will fly.  There are lots of cheap (15-20k baht) flights available to all over Europe and the USA before the 26th.  

There used to be direct flights between Bangkok and the USA but not since 2012.