Is solar cells a good idea?

Misab

Is it a good idea to install solar cells?  It will certainly help the climate. The repayment price depends on how big your consumption is. And yes, it would help if the government were more positive over for those people there like to fight climate change.

Price example:

On the grid, no batteries.

Total cost of installation of 20 solar panels each 330 watts, it will cost you approx. 220.000 Bahts.  

They will together in average produce per day net. 33 kw. In one month, it will produce about 1000 kw. Price saved 4.17 * 1.000 = 4.170 Bahts pr. Month. * 12 = in one year saved 50.000 Bahts.  Approx. 4,7 years = saved cost price 220.000 Bahts

After 4.7 years it is free electricity in the day time at least.

Example:

On the grid, no batteries.

Total cost of installation of 10 solar panels each 330 watts, it will cost you approx. 140.000 Bahts.  

They will together in average produce per day net. 16.5 kw. In one month, it will produce about 500 kw. Price saved 4.17 * 500 = 2.085 Bahts pr. Month. * 12 = in one year saved 25.000 Bahts.  Approx. 5.6 years = saved cost price 140.000 Bahts

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Misab said:

Total cost of installation of 20 solar panels each 330 watts, it will cost you approx. 220.000 Bahts.

They will together in average produce per day net. 33 kw. In one month, it will produce about 1000 kw

I have 5 x330w panels up so far.

My last 3x 330w solar panels were 2,800bht each ......... 20 would have cost 56,000bht.

Are you looking at current prices?

My panels produce 1KWHr each per day, most of the year (last month and this were lower due to monsoon).

I'd reduce your predictions to 20Kwhr/day.

23rd today, and I've generated 100Kwhr from my 5 panels this month (4 units/day), torrential rain many days.

Last year August and September weren't like this, it's been an unusually wet and stormy monsoon this year.

Wondering why you would make such a post when you clearly have no experience with solar panels.

Crossy and I have been playing this game over a year now, and your figures just don't add up.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

In my view, solar tech just isnt a viable option or worth the outlay unless one lives so far from the grid that it would cost a fortune to get power to a property, and even then, just enough solar power and batteries to run lighting and the strict basics. A supplemental diesel geneset for nights and aircon use would probably be more reliable and cheaper. 

Theres a thai guy near me that has a house in this situation. Hes got over 350k in solar and barely can run his house and a 9k BTU aircon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@Mama Noodle I would agree if you are attempting to replace grid power when it's avaliable.

What most of us are doing is using solar to supplement grid power by going grid-tied.

Even a couple of panels and a 600W micro-inverter will generate around 2 units per day which you don't have to pay MEA/PEA for ???? 

I know, but in your case for example, your best day was 31 units, youre a professional and DIY'd it and can manage and repair it, so maybe not too bad, but for the average joe is it really worth the outlay for 31 units? 

Probably not, from a practical standpoint.

Not hating on the people who do it, Ive thought about it myself purely from a hobby perspective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misab said:

My point is, that all with a house, there don’t have solar energy, should consider it. Let us all fight climate change, it is so easy here in Thailand to do something for the climate.

You do it then, and after you've done it you can post about how your panels didn't produce the KwHr you expected.

But as you clearly haven't done it, best not to post from a position of complete ignorance.

PS

Quality of panels ........ all the same ..... you can buy the cheapest or the most expensive ...... doesn't seem to make any difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I did the calculations some time ago, and it came out that I would have to be 105 years old before I broke even.  I poured a beer and decided that it wasn't worth another thought. 

3-4 years for payback, if you do the grunt work yourself, and shop around for the best priced panels.

12 years if you buy a package 'off the shelf'.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I quite enjoyed cutting the box steel, welding it and drilling.

About 4hrs spread over 3 days.

My motto is, if you can't get someone to do it for you, don't do it. Edit, apart from sex of course, I do make a bit of an effort there. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, BritManToo said:

Here we go, 340w panels with free delivery COD 2,800bht each

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/340-w-genius-340-soler-panel-polycrytaline-340-kerry-i713768389-s1367528011.html

Add one of these GTIs for every 3/4 panels @ 2,600bht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/suoer-1000w-grid-mppt-grid-tie-solar-inverter-with-meter-i242381527-s371603366.html

Add a bit of wire (I use 2.5mm PVC twin single core copper), some MC4 connectors (10bht each), and some box steel to make the mounting frames, a bit of drilling and welding and you're good to go.

IMG_20200813_175726.jpg

why are they hanging over the neighbour's property? Is the sunshine better there? 555

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I did the calculations some time ago, and it came out that I would have to be 105 years old before I broke even.  I poured a beer and decided that it wasn't worth another thought. 

Almost there. A few years more to go .  555

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

Do you disconnect them when the wife needs the laundry rack?

looks to me suspiciously like a communication system for contacting aliens.  I think it is our civic duty to keep an eye on BritManToo,  just in case he is the Asian part of the Recon team for the invasion. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

why are they hanging over the neighbour's property? Is the sunshine better there? 555

My house casts a shadow on them late afternoon.

The property boundary of the estate is the klong, so I'm hanging over 'common property'.

My cunning plan is to hang them even further out, as nobody has complained.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My house casts a shadow on them late afternoon.

The property boundary of the estate is the klong, so I'm hanging over 'common property'.

My cunning plan is to hang them even further out, as nobody has complained.

typical alien behavior. Push the humans to see how far they will go before they react. 

• Haha 2