Is solar cells a good idea?

Misab

6 minutes ago, Misab said:

Do you know who produce the video?  It's produced by PragerU an organization that creates videos on various political, economic and philosophical topics from a conservative or right-wing perspective. PragerU is not an academic institution. It is strictly a conservative Youtube video channel and news website. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the oil companies as their customers.

Yep. Funded by the Wilks brothers (fracking) and the Koch brothers (oil). PragerU is a barely-concealed propaganda arm of the fossil fuel industry.

That said, there is evidence that the current crop of green energy technologies have been co-opted by capital interests and may be less effective than originally believed. Green energy must be accompanied with changes to manufacturing and consumption to be truly effective.

On 9/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, Crossy said:

@Misab seriously, if you do decide to install panels and go "official" your experience with "My Solar Roof" would be much appreciated. I don't think we have any members who have actually gone the whole hog.

We do have a number of members who have "approved" installations and have then been shafted by PEA and had  no-reverse meters fitted.

Crossy, we will be building a house in about a years’ time, but I cannot afford solar cells in the beginning, although it will eventually be installed. Yes, I will definitely go the “official” way when it happens. I believe today it is called “Solar Hero”

Sorry, but it will take about 3- 4 years before I can report back. But “will do”

Hopefully some others will come before me ????

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 11:46 AM, BritManToo said:

You do it then, and after you've done it you can post about how your panels didn't produce the KwHr you expected.

But as you clearly haven't done it, best not to post from a position of complete ignorance.

PS

Quality of panels ........ all the same ..... you can buy the cheapest or the most expensive ...... doesn't seem to make any difference.

BritManToo be possitive  ????

Last year (not much monsoon) without panels I was using around 300 units/month costing 1,200bht+

This year (too much monsoon) with 5 x 330w panels numbers are down to around 210/month units costing 800bht+.

Still waiting for a month of 'clear sky' results.

I'm hoping they'll be down around 160 units/month from the PEA.

A stand alone system that consists of the solar panels, inverter, charge controller, and batteries is only worth the investment when you are too far off the grid or just want the great feeling of being self sufficient and having electric power when the grid is down.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not going to join the "renewables are worse for the environment than fossil fuels" argument.

I don't care one way or the other ....... I'm just trying to save money.

If I live another 3 years I've saved money, if I die before then I've wasted money.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not going to join the "renewables are worse for the environment than fossil fuels" argument.

I'll just sit here happy in the knowledge that our 5.8kW grid-tie system has done all the polluting it is going to do for the forseeable future and is happily averaging out at providing about 50% of our power needs (it was 75% for yesterday but we've had a few bad days).

It's generating about 1 case of Chang per week which I am happy to drink ????

An excellent comparison. From that, I want a giant solar panel installation and a wind turbine. Then I can become a professional alcoholic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'll just sit here happy in the knowledge that our 5.8kW grid-tie system has done all the polluting it is going to do for the forseeable future and is happily averaging out at providing about 50% of our power needs (it was 75% for yesterday but we've had a few bad days).

It's generating about 1 case of Chang per week which I am happy to drink ???? 

Additionally your system is reducing the amount of polluting electrickery from PEA. Ain't that a good warm feeling.

• Like 2