COVID 'firepower': Britain imposes six-month curbs against second wave

snoop1130

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

despite all the retoric UK has far less numbers than france or spain

And you consider that a success? Besides which, the UK has the highest death rate in Europe.

or many other euro spots

Such as?

On 9/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, fishtank said:

Bungling Boris is doing a good job. Not.

How is is pal Cummins doing?

so how come uk figures are lower than most countries in europe where the figures are far worse ,spain france czech all far worse

14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000, weeks 36-37

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

And you consider that a success? Besides which, the UK has the highest death rate in Europe.

Covid deaths per million population

Belgium 858

Spain 664

UK 616

Italy 592

France 482

Not good, but UK is not the highest.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

Last updated today.

15 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Covid deaths per million population

Belgium 858

Spain 664

UK 616

Italy 592

France 482

Not good, but UK is not the highest.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

Last updated today.

The UK has the highest number of deaths in Europe.

Even using deaths/million, it's hardly a success story. Bit like saying Watford were less bad than Norwich last season.

38 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

so how come uk figures are lower than most countries in europe

But they aren't!

38 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

where the figures are far worse ,spain france czech all far worse

14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000, weeks 36-37

"Far worse"?

Who comes out bottom of the table largely depends on what metric is being used.

Besides which, the real question should be: Is the government doing a good job in managing the pandemic? I'd argue: 'No'.

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

The UK has the highest number of deaths in Europe.

I think I'm correct in stating that the UK has also carried out the highest number of covid tests in Europe, and also has a very robust system of recording covid stats.

8 minutes ago, RayC said:

Even using deaths/million, it's hardly a success story. Bit like saying Watford were less bad than Norwich last season.

Well, I did state that the UK numbers are not good.

There are no success stories in Europe, but Germany seems to have done a pretty good job compared to others - so far.

33 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I think I'm correct in stating that the UK has also carried out the highest number of covid tests in Europe, and also has a very robust system of recording covid stats.

There are no success stories in Europe, but Germany seems to have done a pretty good job compared to others - so far.

Germany seems to be the standout country in Europe when looking at the handling of the crisis.

It's good news that testing seems to be getting into full swing.

The collection and collation of data has improved, but was very disjointed at the outset.

Imo the UK government's handling of this crisis has been a bit of a curate's egg. The UK was quick out of the blocks in announcing support for individuals and businesses. Yes, there were oversights but, considering the policies were developed and implemented quickly, I'd say that they made a decent fist of things.

Unfortunately, imo the handling of the health side of things has been shambolic. Yes, it was a new virus and things were changing rapidly, but there appeared to be no clear strategy and the advice often appeared confused. Moreover, it seemed like it took his own brush with death before Johnson took things seriously. Remember his crack about continuing to shake hands with everyone.

What really grated on me was the rhetoric: "We are following THE science". i.e. there is no alternative. The inference being that other European countries had it wrong. Also drivel such as we are developing ".. a game-changing, world beating app" (which would be available in May!). Vacuous nonsense.

I'd have had far more respect for Johnson if, at the outset, he had said something like: "Here's the situation. We are dealing with a virus that we don't know much about. Based on the balance of evidence presented by our scientific experts, we believe that the following course of action is currently best, however we may be proved wrong as more data becomes available. What we do know is that the fewer contacts you have with others, the less likelihood there is of you contracting the disease. I can't make you any promises other than we will work tirelessly to try to find solutions. In the meantime, please comply with our instructions." 

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

it appears to me, that there are many who fail to understand, the path of the pandemic in the UK is predominantly influenced by the actions of sixty million people, and only guided by politicians 

But politicians can and do influence the actions of the 60 million and, by extension, the path of the pandemic.

Just now, RayC said:

But politicians can and do influence the actions of the 60 million and, by extension, the path of the pandemic.

Nope they attempt to influence, the actual path is not within their control, it is in the control of the individual

Oh its far far lower than people realise, if your healthy you have very very  little to fear. Certianly if healthy and well there is no pandemic to be scared of, more chance of almost anything else killing you than CV19

Statistics from the ONS is out... Since February related to CV19 deaths based on only those WITHOUT other conditions deaths is as follows. 

Of those in the age group under 20 with no other known pre existing conditions deaths recorded to purely CV19... 4 those with an existing condition that died.  16 ... total 20

Of those in the age group under 40 with no other known pre existing conditions deaths recorded to purely CV19... 39 those with an existing condition that died..181 ... total 220

Of those in the age group under 60 with no other known pre existing conditions deaths recorded purely to CV19... 307

Let that sink in.... they have scared an entire nation witless, destroyed millions of jobs and lives of perfectly healthy people for those numbers... 

These arnt my figures or a guess or an interpretation, these are undisputed facts that anyone if they are bothered can read and add up for themselves.. the data is from the UK Office Of National Statistics, it is what the gov constantly uses for its data and is considered the gold standard, all related documents and numbers relating to above info and all manner of other charts can be found here. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/datalist?sortBy=release_date&query=&fromDateDay=&fromDateMonth=&fromDateYear=&toDateDay=&toDateMonth=&toDateYear=&size=50

The data is quite clear. There is nothing to warrant these draconian measures on an entire population.... NOTHING. 

Edited by englishoak
  • Thanks 2

On 9/23/2020 at 12:23 PM, RichardColeman said:

Think most people will only start seeing the craziness in all this when their football club folds due to no money for 18 months. Can easily see 25% of all football clubs going broke in the coming year

Every cloud has a silver lining!

On 9/23/2020 at 12:26 PM, robblok said:

As if people care about soccer. Would be great if a lot of clubs go bust maybe the players will have to pay for less and not those crazy superstar salaries. 

Totally agree. The footie obsession has led to the infantalisation of men and the ruination of pubs in the UK and bars here in Thailand.

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

The testing system is generating 35% false positive according to the Times The Minister for health Mat Handjob does not deny it. See him being interviewed by Kate Burleigh on Sky News. He's atrocious and not fit to lead a boy scouts first aid box

19 minutes ago, Nout said:

Absolutely false. Its a bordering on atrocities,  house arrest, threats to bring in the army. The absurdity of closing pub at ten.  The Johnson Junta has lost the plot and all pretence of representation of the people. Its dictatorship by edict and arbitrary rules.

Throughout this pandemic life has been about what the individual makes of it. you want to put yourself under house arrest feel free, you want to stop drinking when the pubs close feel free, your choices plenty of flexibility, if one carries a little imagination.....of course if you don't.....sit and moan

On 9/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, nemo38 said:

The Guardian are saying Covid is here to stay. People will start moving away from countries that have a tyrannical virus regime, where they can.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/21/coronavirus-here-to-stay-moonshot

That's why I'm in Thailand. Bulgaria and part of the Balkan look promising maybe Macedonia

3 minutes ago, Nout said:

The testing system is generating 35% false positive according to the Times The Minister for health Mat Handjob does not deny it. See him being interviewed by Kate Burleigh on Sky News. He's atrocious and not fit to lead a boy scouts first aid box

Who really gives damn about testing, you either get the virus and recover or you die. The virus is not going away and only a fool would try and blame politicians for the continuation

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nout said:

Totally agree. The footie obsession has led to the infantalisation of men and the ruination of pubs in the UK and bars here in Thailand.

Actually the football crowds kept the town centre pubs going for years and still greatly assist the ones that remain

29 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Who really gives damn about testing, you either get the virus and recover or you die. The virus is not going away and only a fool would try and blame politicians for the continuation

I can't argue and never understood what mass testing could possibly achieve. But, it's worse than that. The UK government have mooted daily mass testing at a cost of billions.

Would I be expected to queue up on a daily basis for a C19 test. Are they for real?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

Nope they attempt to influence, the actual path is not within their control, it is in the control of the individual

Yes, individual's control their actions but there is a difference between control and influence (and I am not being pedantic).

If you are arguing that individuals should take personal responsibility then I agree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RayC said:

Yes, individual's control their actions but there is a difference between control and influence (and I am not being pedantic).

If you are arguing that individuals should take personal responsibility then I agree.

Please inform ..

In this world of zero hour working contracts . Americanisation.

Not  forgetting , pandemic panic job losses , more expected , soon .. World wide..

Individuals , No longer have  personal, responsibility options ....

Sure . Enjoy your dream ...

Edited by elliss