Airlines call for COVID-19 tests before all international flights

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Credo said:

There is a HUGE difference between sending a military aircraft equipped to isolate and deal with a contagious disease and allowing people who may well be infected with a contagious disease on a commercial airplane carrying hundreds of people with minimum protection from the disease.  

You nonetheless got my point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Antigen tests are faster but generally more likely to miss positive cases of the virus than laboratory-based molecular diagnostic tests.

How is this going to solve the current situation? Governments are not going to relax existing entry requirements with a test that cannot be relied upon. The current laboratory tests are not 100% either. Adding an even less efficacious test to the myriad of increasing travel requirements to me is not any sort of solution.

Edited by Tounge Thaied
spelling and content

What are the chances that these rushed vaccines, the UK already said there would be regular new vaccines each year, will be compulsory?

I see airlines, businesses, requiring them if you want to go anywhere. I, for one, welcome unknown mRNA gloop.

13 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

I bet such a test is banned for resale in Thailand. Imagine of they allowed DIY testing.

In fact if I was a passenger on the same flight and the passengers all turned up with a 'negative home test' I would be thinking twice about boarding the same flight, anywhere in the world. 

14 hours ago, evadgib said:

It wasn't that long ago when the UK sent a fully kitted out RAF airliner from Brize Norton to West Africa to pick up NGO personnel that had contracted Ebola and transported them back to UK/NHS.

Fast forward to today and the airlines won't even touch anyone that turns up with hay fever :blink: 

You do understand that there is a difference between an fully kitted out raf airliner for the purpose of transporting Ebola infected. An aircraft prepared for this with the right medical staff and preparations. 

Compare that with a commercial airline with no such things and covid. 

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

You do understand that there is a difference between an fully kitted out raf airliner for the purpose of transporting Ebola infected. An aircraft prepared for this with the right medical staff and preparations. 

Compare that with a commercial airline with no such things and covid. 

Didn't  I read  it was a private  contractor plane  that evacuated the ebola cases?  Or am I thinking of a different evac?  The article I read talked about a company who is capable to do a  total interior plane disassembly and cleaning. 

Edited by Elkski

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Didn't  I read  it was a private  contractor plane  that evacuated the ebola cases?  Or am I thinking of a different evac?  The article I read talked about a company who is capable to do a  total interior plane disassembly and cleaning. 

Probably, but evandgib is trying to make it out that there was nothing special about the plane and by his reasoning airlines should be ok taking on covid people on planes. Bit strange reasoning. Then again nothing surprises me anymore. Logic is severely lacking on this forum.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

This will show up the undetected positives. I personally think everyone should be tested both before departure and on arrival everywhere.

Find the countries who lie about their infection rates, will be easy to do, especially with a cheap and quick test.

It wont show up the Undetected positives in fact the very opposite its an antigen test and Antigen tests are faster but generally more likely to miss positive cases of the virus than laboratory-based molecular diagnostic tests.

It will likely miss positive cases so not excatly a great deal of good.

17 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:
22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Antigen tests are faster but generally more likely to miss positive cases of the virus than laboratory-based molecular diagnostic tests.

How is this going to solve the current situation? Governments are not going to relax existing entry requirements with a test that cannot be relied upon. The current laboratory tests are not 100% either. Adding an even less efficacious test to the myriad of increasing travel requirements to me is not any sort of solution.

Dr Michael Mina (Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health) explained very well that cheap 15-min antigen tests (as low as $1) can detect high viral loads, which is when someone is infectious even as with Covid he/she is often still asymptomatic. The RT-PCR tests will also detect cases that are no longer infectious, besides taking a long time for results,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, placnx said:

Dr Michael Mina (Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health) explained very well that cheap 15-min antigen tests (as low as $1) can detect high viral loads, which is when someone is infectious even as with Covid he/she is often still asymptomatic. The RT-PCR tests will also detect cases that are no longer infectious, besides taking a long time for results,

Interesting article:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/3102628/airlines-want-quick-us10-covid-19-test-replace-quarantine-bid-kick

On 9/23/2020 at 3:20 PM, Caldera said:

This sounds like a sensible solution to restore international air travel. It won't be good enough for Thailand with their "zero cases" paranoia, but it will be good enough for many if not most other countries.

Considering Covid-19 can take up to 14 days to test positive from time of exposure, logically the OP test would still mean travellers should be quarantined on arrival at destination. e.g. Here in Australia returnees are regularly testing positive during the quarantine period.

• Like 2