anyone had a stent fitted?

bert bloggs

Think it was 225,000bt for one left coronary drug eluting stent that was 6 years ago the drugs you have to take for life are fairly cheap except the one you have to take for the first year cant remember name but its an eye watering £220 a box from memory good luck ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info all ,i had a by pass ,a long long time ago in the UK ,i know i had blockages again back in 2001 when when i had the tests ,an angiogram back in the UK ,a few days ago i was really bad ,thought the end was nigh ,now feel great again ,walking for half an hour this morning no problem ,anyway am going to hospital tomorrow ,for a check up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Have you been told you need a stent? Angiogram is required to tell this.

Cost varies with number of stents. At a government hospital, about 30K for the angiogram then 150 - 200K per stent plus doctor fees, room charge etc.

Queen Sirikit is rather small and would nto be my choice for this if in fact they can do it. (Needs a cardiac cath lab)

Hi Sheryl

i use ,Q.S for eye check ups ,so am registered there ,the wife rang them yesterday and they said that they do heart surgery there, anyway i am going there tomorrow to  register and see a doctor about a stent ,if i need one etc.

i have always found them to be a really good hospital ,and not a rip off like Bangkok Pattaya ,who 6 years ago reckoned i needed a cataract operation immediatly ,but QS who test me every 6 months still do not think its that urgent ,i could have it done ,at half the price of BKP hospital but,they reckon not yet ,(same as me)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Thanks for the info all ,i had a by pass ,a long long time ago in the UK ,i know i had blockages again back in 2001 when when i had the tests ,an angiogram back in the UK ,a few days ago i was really bad ,thought the end was nigh ,now feel great again ,walking for half an hour this morning no problem ,anyway am going to hospital tomorrow ,for a check up.

Good luck for you.

My problem started in Bangladesh (not a brilliant place for hospitals) as I had to climb 5 flights of the emergency stairs to get to the office and I had to stop at every floor to get my breath back. The following week I was due for a visa run (to Thailand) and as week off and when my boss asked when I would be back he generously allowed me all the time I needed. He terminated my contract on the spot.

Nowadays I usually cut the grass and scrub down on a couple of rai and I can now manage about 1 1/2 hours a day. In the "wet" season I do it every day and have about 5 or 6 months off in the dry season.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, Sheryl said:

Have you been told you need a stent? Angiogram is required to tell this.

Cost varies with number of stents. At a government hospital, about 30K for the angiogram then 150 - 200K per stent plus doctor fees, room charge etc.

Queen Sirikit is rather small and would nto be my choice for this if in fact they can do it. (Needs a cardiac cath lab)

Hi Sheryl

yes they do heart surgery there ,where would you advise as i live in Pattaya?

On 9/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Think it was 225,000bt for one left coronary drug eluting stent that was 6 years ago the drugs you have to take for life are fairly cheap except the one you have to take for the first year cant remember name but its an eye watering £220 a box from memory good luck ???? 

was that at Queen Sirakit satahip? and at a govt hospital or private?

Edited by bert bloggs

On 9/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, bert bloggs said:

Hello bert bloggs

May well be in the same boat as you,but other regions.   Had op on knee few years ago,doc did not do much,but stated increased blood flow,and knee now fine,but other knee now painful.  Maybe in line for a stent  home-grown/superior/or medicated/imported,yes looked at choices,but its this damned covid that's stopping me doing anything at the mo ,cos its India

Anyway if you looking for prices after covid  the op inc stent, private room, about 430 pounds              If covid does not clear up any time soon will have to submit to Thai medicine,but at gov hospital

1 hour ago, izod10 said:

Hello bert bloggs

May well be in the same boat as you,but other regions.   Had op on knee few years ago,doc did not do much,but stated increased blood flow,and knee now fine,but other knee now painful.  Maybe in line for a stent  home-grown/superior/or medicated/imported,yes looked at choices,but its this damned covid that's stopping me doing anything at the mo ,cos its India

Anyway if you looking for prices after covid  the op inc stent, private room, about 430 pounds              If covid does not clear up any time soon will have to submit to Thai medicine,but at gov hospital

Hi

I reckon you can forget leaving Thailand anytime in the future as our chances of getting back are nil , otherwise i would have flown to the UK .which govt hospital would you go to?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

Hi

I reckon you can forget leaving Thailand anytime in the future as our chances of getting back are nil , otherwise i would have flown to the UK .which govt hospital would you go to?

Have always liked Red Cross in Sri Racha  40 baht  Suk taxi  to Robinsons, then 40 baht to hospital, taxi bike.   Take passport and register,really efficient,but language is problem,few nurses can speak it  but all the doctors there can,think all the private hospitals there are staffing the Red Cross hospital   

Good Luck

11 hours ago, izod10 said:

Have always liked Red Cross in Sri Racha  40 baht  Suk taxi  to Robinsons, then 40 baht to hospital, taxi bike.   Take passport and register,really efficient,but language is problem,few nurses can speak it  but all the doctors there can,think all the private hospitals there are staffing the Red Cross hospital   

Good Luck

trouble is they do not do heart stenting there ,

13 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Hi

I would recommend Siriraj or Chulalongkorn, both in Bangkok.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would recommend Siriraj or Chulalongkorn, both in Bangkok.

Totally agree with Siriraj as has excellent heart center and top heart surgeon. Currently have 4 stents and last 2 done at Siriraj two years ago for under 100,000baht with private room including angiogram. Great service and follow up treatment.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, sammieuk1 said:

The stents or bypass operations are supposed to correct the problem. Then why would you have to take three or four different drugs for the rest of your life?   To prevent other arteries from clogging up?

Then maybe we should have been taking those drugs decades earlier to prevent our blockages in the first place. 
    Can someone explain please?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Catoni said:

The stents or bypass operations are supposed to correct the problem. Then why would you have to take three or four different drugs for the rest of your life?   To prevent other arteries from clogging up?

Then maybe we should have been taking those drugs decades earlier to prevent our blockages in the first place. 
    Can someone explain please?

From my understanding that is for a type of stent that is drug coated to help limit regrowth of blockage at the stent area (not the type I chose to have).  A normal stent does not require more than normal blood thinning which can and is used for those without stents.  

I had 1 stent at Khon Kaen Hospital 5 years ago cost 200,000. I had a second stent and angiogram at Queen Sirikit Heart Center in KK 2 years ago. Cost 250,000 for both. Fortunately, I am covered by the Thai Gov plan and only paid for my private room and a B280 Dr. fee.

My meds are quite expensive about 12,000 a month as I take Entresto which is very expensive. Again the Thai Gov plan covers that as well.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, sammieuk1 said:

I take

Co-Diovan  80/12.5 mg 1/2 tablet per day               A box of 28 costs me 598 baht

Dilatrend 25mg 1 per day                                      10 tablets are 280 baht

Bestatin 20 mg per day                                        10 tablets are 155 baht

Orfarin 3 or 5 mg per day varies on the dosage       3 mg are 475 baht per 100

5 mg are 550 baht per 100

Any particular reason why  your on orfarin as opposed to aspirin? I had a stent fitted 10yr ago drug eluting I was on plavix for one yr I'm now only on aspirin 81mg plus a statin for cholesterol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1