anyone had a stent fitted?

bert bloggs

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I was warned that Queen Sirakit is very expensive ,the heart doctor there is also the same one who does the surgery at Chonburi govt  hospital , which i hear is good

It is not "very expensive". Still far less than private hospitals.  It does charge fatang more than Thais though, started doing that after morw expats started coming.

It is possible the regional hospital in Chonburi has no double oricing but I am nor sure. Not many expats seem to use it ro maybe.

Even at govt hospital, as has been explained, you ate atill looking at a bill of well over 100k and if more than one stent then over 200k. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is not "very expensive". Still far less than private hospitals.  It does charge fatang more than Thais though, started doing that after morw expats started coming.

It is possible the regional hospital in Chonburi has no double oricing but I am nor sure. Not many expats seem to use it ro maybe.

Even at govt hospital, as has been explained, you ate atill looking at a bill of well over 100k and if more than one stent then over 200k. 

So sorry Sheryl ,i did not mean Queen Sirakit i meant Samitivit hospital is expensive ,as far as i know Chonburi does not have double pricing for foreigners ,and seems to have a good reputation .once again sorry

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 4:07 PM, bert bloggs said:

I was warned that Queen Sirakit is very expensive ,the heart doctor there is also the same one who does the surgery at Chonburi govt  hospital , which i hear is good

On the subject of Sirikit, I wonder if there are any cheap apts around it for a recuperation stay of, oh, a couple of weeks. Just some info for the database again. I don't know anything major coming up for me in the foreseeable future, but you never know eh. 

Yesterday went to Chonburi hospital for my appointment with the Doctor regarding my heart problems and having angioplasty ,,anyway it seems i am to go back in two months for the procedure ,i had two blood tests , a meeting with the doctor an ecg and 3 months supply of meds one for my ulcer ,which i never knew i had and one for a blood thinner (i did not want my other two meds as i have a good supply) total Farang cost 930 baht 

as my wife and son where with me the doc spoke to them in Thai he did answer my one question in English ,he is a heart doctor at Samitivit.private hospital .

now i wait for my hospital stay 1 night before 2 nights after it seems .

On 10/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, Sheryl said:

Hi Sheryl ,i am using Chonburi hospital the doc ,quoted 20k angiogram 35 k stent balloon angioplasty 10k and a dye angioplasty 15k also 4k for guiding wires?  you are correct about few foreigners ,i saw only 1 other ,

2 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Hi Sheryl ,i am using Chonburi hospital the doc ,quoted 20k angiogram 35 k stent balloon angioplasty 10k and a dye angioplasty 15k also 4k for guiding wires?  you are correct about few foreigners ,i saw only 1 other ,

I don';t think that can be correct as the stent itself -- the medical device -- costs much more than that. Likely he quoted you the price for the procedure only and did nto include the device cost.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, Sheryl said:

I don';t think that can be correct as the stent itself -- the medical device -- costs much more than that. Likely he quoted you the price for the procedure only and did nto include the device cost.

Hi Sheryl 

i never thought to ask ,but if a bypass was needed ,how much on average is it at a govt hospital,thanks

10 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

wow ,that seems very reasnable ,less than having an angiogram and a couple of stents ,i would have thought it would be far more expensive as its a big operation.

Operations are very inexpensive in government hospitals as doctors are not paid much - it is when expensive imported materials/equipment are needed that costs are higher (stents and the equipment used to place them).  It may be good form to provide a small gift such as dress shirt to doctor in rigorization of their work from my understanding.

• Thanks 1

As above, the problem for stents is the cost of the stent itself.

With bypass, you have to go on the heart lung machine so there is likely an added charge for that otherwise would be only around 50 k (again, assuming no complications and quick recovery -- an extended ICU stay can ratchet up costs considerably).

Note that under 100k is my best guess. Could be a bity more but I think not much,   only wild card is what they charge fior use of the perfusion machine.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

well here is an update ,i have just spent 4 days in Chonburi heart hospital ,govt as you know i was really ill and my son rushed us there ,taken into a and e ,all the usual tests again ,ecg ,heart scan x ray ,unable to lay down ,seems i have fluid on the lungs,any way taken to the 6th floor ,4th last time ,its called hotel california i think "you can check out any time but you can never leave" well by the look 80%wont .as before great service ,its not the ritze but well looked after ,,its very busy ,a few did "leave" i wont go into it .have not been able to sleep even back home ,my heart guys appointment moved up and my angiogram as well ,lets hope they can do something ,doc on ward  said as i had a triple already and my age might mean i cannot have a bypass. But will know more when i see surgeon

there was another falang there as well ,but he cant talk ,single ,no friends and his mind going ,(beware those with no one living here it can happen in a moment ,look at me, luckily i have a very close family )

so far the costs for the 4 days plus meds and all tests etc has been about 11500 baht

you dont get a nice pretty room with an electric bed and a bill of 115000 baht for one night ,but you do get a lot of pretty nurses ,who treat you great, and the guys like me that were with it try to have a laugh with you ,god knows how but we seemed to communicate.

Has anyone else used this hospital,any experiances?  

On 10/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, ivor bigun said:

my heart guys appointment moved up and my angiogram as well ,lets hope they can do something

When's your next appt? Keep us posted; quite a saga. And good luck.

Your point about the old guy with nobody reminds me that a Thai friend met an old farang in a similar condition in a common ward at Sirikit, lying in the bed next to her son's, alone. She and her family spoke to him sometimes. He also soon left Thailand w/o needing to go through Immigration, and it was kinda sad.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

I had 7 stents inserted 3 years ago at Pyathai Hospital, Siracha spread over 2 visits and costing 50k baht each plus all the other costs - around 600k baht in total. Have experienced other serious medical problems since then but so far they seem to be working really well.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, lelapin said:

I had 7 stents inserted 3 years ago at Pyathai Hospital, Siracha spread over 2 visits and costing 50k baht each plus all the other costs - around 600k baht in total. Have experienced other serious medical problems since then but so far they seem to be working really well.

Hi sorry that i take my time replying and posting on here ,but my life has slowed down so very much,i cant believe that 4 weeks ago i could walk the length of beach rd,

wow 7 stents that is a lot ,and quite expensive ,but it is a private hospital ,so glad that they are working out. 

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Hi sorry that i take my time replying and posting on here ,but my life has slowed down so very much,i cant believe that 4 weeks ago i could walk the length of beach rd,

wow 7 stents that is a lot ,and quite expensive ,but it is a private hospital ,so glad that they are working out. 

Actually doubt that 50k is very expensive for actual stent (but been 8 years since I had)  - they are normally US made medical products and not cheap to buy regardless of hospital.  Believe 7 is unusual as they should not be used for less than 70% blockage under current guidelines AFAIK.  

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually doubt that 50k is very expensive for actual stent (but been 8 years since I had)  - they are normally US made medical products and not cheap to buy regardless of hospital.  Believe 7 is unusual as they should not be used for less than 70% blockage under current guidelines AFAIK.  

Apparently 2 were totally blocked, I don't know about the rest.

23 hours ago, lelapin said:

Could not have been 7 stents (at one time) unless another part of the body than the heart also involved. There are only 5  major arteries in the heart (3 actually and then another 2 smaller branches).

Usually if 3 or more vessels are occluded they will go for bypass rather than stents.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Could not have been 7 stents (at one time) unless another part of the body than the heart also involved. There are only 5  major arteries in the heart (3 actually and then another 2 smaller branches).

Usually if 3 or more vessels are occluded they will go for bypass rather than stents.

I was originally advised I needed 9 but then had 5 inserted and 2 weeks later had 2. Are you  you suggesting that the hospital charged me for stents they never inserted.

Sheryl, I have such high regard for you as you were the person who made the perfect recommendation for me of a Dr in Bangkok when it was discovered 2 years ago that I had a cancerous tumour and which subsequently saved my life.

After your comment, I am now concerned that I was conned by the Pyathai Hospital.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I was lucky then as I only needed 2.

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

I was originally advised I needed 9 but then had 5 inserted and 2 weeks later had 2. Are you  you suggesting that the hospital charged me for stents they never inserted.

Sheryl, I have such high regard for you as you were the person who made the perfect recommendation for me of a Dr in Bangkok when it was discovered 2 years ago that I had a cancerous tumour and which subsequently saved my life.

After your comment, I am now concerned that I was conned by the Pyathai Hospital.

i simply do not see how they could place 7 or 9 stents into what are only 3-5 vessels.

Do you have a detailed medical report? Or an itemized bill?

Five is possible (though very unusual-- as mentioned, bypass is usually preferred if more than 2 vessels are involved. Perhaos you had contraindications to surgery?).

If the other 2 stents were at a different procedure then likely replaced 2 of these original five, stents do sometimes get occluded.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Five is possible (though very unusual-- as mentioned, bypass is usually preferred if more than 2 vessels are involved. Perhaos you had contraindications to surgery?).

If the other 2 stents were at a different procedure then likely replaced 2 of these original five, stents do sometimes get occluded.

The further two stents were inserted within a month of the 1st 5 and I was advised of them before any stents were inserted. In fact I was originally told I would need 9 in total but this was altered after the first procedure took place.  Not sure what contraindications to surgery means.

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

The further two stents were inserted within a month of the 1st 5 and I was advised of them before any stents were inserted. In fact I was originally told I would need 9 in total but this was altered after the first procedure took place.  Not sure what contraindications to surgery means.

It means that there is some unusual risk factor(s) that would make surgery  unusually dangerous. Otherwise if 3 or more vessels were occluded, usual practice would have been a bypass.

It all sounds very odd.

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It means that there is some unusual risk factor(s) that would make surgery  unusually dangerous. Otherwise if 3 or more vessels were occluded, usual practice would have been a bypass.

It all sounds very odd.

Thanks for info.

I seem to recall that the Dr had said that if my syntax score was >33 I would need a bypass and it was 31. I am now 79 yo so my memory re the whole event is a bit patchy.

2 years after that I had 7 hour surgery for cancer in Bangkok  with the excellent Dr you had recommended Professor  Chucheep.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 4:18 PM, BigStar said:

When's your next appt? Keep us posted; quite a saga. And good luck.

Your point about the old guy with nobody reminds me that a Thai friend met an old farang in a similar condition in a common ward at Sirikit, lying in the bed next to her son's, alone. She and her family spoke to him sometimes. He also soon left Thailand w/o needing to go through Immigration, and it was kinda sad.

Hi

Well yesterday was back for an outpatient appt to see the doc at Chonburi,had an  x ray and seems i still have fluid on the lungs,so the wife and son spoke with the doc and he has upped my diuretic tabs, they spoke for about 10 mins, back in 2 weeks to check meds then an angiogram a week later,

So lets hope all goes well,

• Like 2