Is Chatuchak wknd market still open?

Sarahandra

9 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Chatuchak is open and good to visit these days.  Not many people.  There's a new indoor mall there too (sort of between Chatuchak and JJ Mall).

As for Dalat Rot Fai, if you mean the night market near Seacon and Paradise malls, that's open too.  (New BTS line being built with a station right by the market's entrance.  Sure to bring many more people in the future.  Won't open for another year though.)

Both markets have lost some vendors, but they are both open for business.

So you are saying.......................YES ?

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, moontang said:

A few students got on the mrt and literally stunk like a dirty bird cage.. so it must be open... Overrated <deleted>.. 

Old jungle saying, one mans trash is another mans stinky dirty smelly market with an amazing range of aquarium fish.

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

Old jungle saying, one mans trash is another mans stinky dirty smelly market with an amazing range of aquarium fish.

I found the Owl Market to be the best experience, but it is likely still closed.  I didn't like the disgusting animal stuff at Chatuchak.  Also, some greedy, pushy vendors, as well as some hoping you will break something so they can extort you.  I saw these cool plates, with a nice divider for chips and salsa and the sign said 169..I thought it was for a box of four or five plates..nope 169 for 1..seen the same type ceramics in CM selling for 10-20 each.  There is always <deleted> beer in bins of....water....at the Train Market, and don't get me started on Farce Box, which I believe was recently put out if its misery, without anyone noticing.  Anyplace with a history of herds of Chinese, blocking sidewalks, changing diapers, etc., is likely off my list.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been visiting Chatuchak market on Saturday mornings with the missus and as you'd expect, it is a lot less crowded than it used to be. It's fine. There's also an indoor mall there now ( the Mixt ) which is worth a look. To be honest we go over there to do an early morning circuit of the three adjoining parks. For us, that's the main attraction. But generally wander into the market/mall afterwards and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Update:. I recently made the trek from Mor Chit to Mor Chit 2 and cut through the market on a Sunday around noon.  Pleased to report is was actually pleasant, but that is likely bad for the vendors, just like the beaches.  Saw some great beer huggers that were made out of thin rope...looked really classy.  Luckily I avoided the cages, but I suppose the animals are more avoidable once you get to know the market.  

On 9/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, moontang said:

I found the Owl Market to be the best experience, but it is likely still closed.  I didn't like the disgusting animal stuff at Chatuchak.  Also, some greedy, pushy vendors, as well as some hoping you will break something so they can extort you.  I saw these cool plates, with a nice divider for chips and salsa and the sign said 169..I thought it was for a box of four or five plates..nope 169 for 1..seen the same type ceramics in CM selling for 10-20 each.  There is always <deleted> beer in bins of....water....at the Train Market, and don't get me started on Farce Box, which I believe was recently put out if its misery, without anyone noticing.  Anyplace with a history of herds of Chinese, blocking sidewalks, changing diapers, etc., is likely off my list.

Owl Market has been open for months.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Where is Owl market and what does it have? Thanks.

On the mrt purple, on the west side of Central Rattanabet.  Quite a few busses go there, too..a few from Tao Poon.  Much less crowded than Chat, no Chinese..and some places to sit and eat...I bring my Esky..doesn't raise an eyebrow, unlike Farce Box that relied on charging girlie bar beer prices.

Edited by moontang