Thai immigration reminds foreigners: Time is running out to renew your visas

webfact

So it seems that now if you have a letter from your embassy and you get to the IO before 26th it's a formality that you can stay for another 30 days.

If almost everyone is getting another 30 day stay, it would just have been easier to extend the amnesty?

Or are there many people being refused the embassy letter, not seen any reports on this.

Also not seen any government announcement on what happens on the 26th October? Maybe you really, really have to go home? October 26 is going to come round very quickly and all this worry, confusion and desperation will be repeated.

I truly feel for those in this predicament.

Just now, Saltire said:

So it seems that now if you have a letter from your embassy and you get to the IO before 26th it's a formality that you can stay for another 30 days.

If almost everyone is getting another 30 day stay, it would just have been easier to extend the amnesty?

Or are there many people being refused the embassy letter, not seen any reports on this.

Also not seen any government announcement on what happens on the 26th October? Maybe you really, really have to go home? October 26 is going to come round very quickly and all this worry, confusion and desperation will be repeated.

I truly feel for those in this predicament.

There are very few embassies that are  willing to provide those letters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

They want them too if they qualify for any of the many in-country visa options that are available. If not, they are likely low spending visitors that are likely pretty tapped-out after a 7 month holiday and should head back home. 

Yes, I have applied from within the kingdom for a non O based on marriage, the difference from my usual Savannakhet Consulate run (currently closed to foreigners) is that I had to come up with 400,000 baht in the bank. My local IO said that next time I can do it with proof of 40,000 baht monthly, but first time they wanted the "full Monty".

Have to leave it for two months, but nothing was required vis a vis seasoning. They have already checked one time by having us deposit 100 baht and presenting the updated book and copy.

Edited by Kwaibill
Clarification
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

There were messages to Thai Visa even a couple of days ago expecting that Immigration would be bound to extend Visas yesterday even though it's been made clear for over a month that 26th September was the final date. Just because it might be sensible to keep spending power in Thailand it doesn't follow that Immigration will take that into account. Tourists are not residents they come here with the expectation of staying for a limited period not for 6 months like many have had already. The idea that because covid19 is less virulent in Thailand than in your home country is not a factor that should concern Immigration. 

"The idea that because covid19 is less virulent in Thailand than in your home country is not a factor that should concern Immigration."

But how about creating a good image to 'lure' (as they always say) prospective tourists to Thailand? They could make a huge, positive PR campaign for Thailand out of letting people stay - but they'd need an active, living brain to understand that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

But how about creating a good image to 'lure' (as they always say) prospective tourists to Thailand?

Very simple, they want to sell their new Tourist visa. Also, there are plenty of other visa options out here for people who would like to stay here for more than just a few months. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It doesn't affect you, assuming you are on an annual extension of stay.

And how could it affect him? So far, TI's handling on COVID made perfect sense, and this includes the end of the amnesty, as everyone can now go back home if they have to. The rightly anticipated rare exceptions will be covered through 30 days extensions based on embassy or medical justification.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adelphi said:

Utterly ridiculous how they have posed for this photograph.  Although it says everything about how they view foreigners who are almost never violent even if they have overstayed.  They really are determined to make it clear that foreigners are the enemy.  Welcome to Amazing Thailand.  Over 30 years ago we used to refer to it as the land of smiles - what a joke that is now.

First went to thailand. 1978.   , Visa was easy. ,exchange rate good. ,  nice place to be , now i wonder why people wish to go there or even stay there , and today to get in like trying to jump  through ring fire ,is called Fire wall today 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, watso63 said:

6 months sitting on their hands despite being given plenty of warning about what will happen post amnesty. Those taking advantage of the situation that never obtained further permission to stay are now crying like babies blaming Immigration for following the law of the land. One group I do have sympathy for however are those that have businesses here finding themselves in a virtually impossible situation, on the verge of losing everything and facing deportation to boot.

Does it help businesses if foreigners are forced to leave?

Does it help thailand in any way?

I understand that the law is the law.  Someone from above should extend the amnesty. It benefits thailand 100%

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I wonder if countries around the world who have Thais on an amnesty will  

now treat them in the same way as Thailand is doing towards the foreigners stuck here in the Kingdom

I think any country would have very similar consequences for tourists  that overstay their visas.

Again, 6 months has been an ample amount of time for people to get their affairs in order. 

I've yet to hear a logical argument that proves otherwise...

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Adelphi said:

Utterly ridiculous how they have posed for this photograph.  Although it says everything about how they view foreigners who are almost never violent even if they have overstayed.  They really are determined to make it clear that foreigners are the enemy.  Welcome to Amazing Thailand.  Over 30 years ago we used to refer to it as the land of smiles - what a joke that is now.

I doubt the “they” who chose which photos to use for this news item were from immigration. Just stock photos from the news source’s files.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adelphi said:

Looks like the black and white minstrel show....lol

Edited by Pikasso