Thai immigration reminds foreigners: Time is running out to renew your visas

webfact

13 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

One day someone with a brain will work at Thai immigration. Maybe not soon but you cannot have morons on it forever. Tides change.

nobody told you there are more morons than people with an analytical brain, specially over here ?

thinking for yourself, asking questions, questioning things, not a thai thing

6 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I think some people dont meet the requirements to get one, flights are still being cancelled often enough to cause some worry, and people are apprehensive about jumping on long-haul, multi-stop flights to Covid-wracked destinations. There was also some hope that the government may extend amnesty. For me, although born in the UK, left when I was 6 years old so going back there is not really viable option for me. I've been trying to find flats to rent in southern Spain (where I was before Thailand) but the responses I'm getting back from landlords and agents is that, although happy to rent to me, they wont let me move in until I've stayed in a hotel for 10 days to 2 weeks and have a test. I'm just hoping the visa I've applied for gets approved. The first one I applied for turned out to be a visa agent scam. 

jumping on long-haul, multi-stop flights to Covid-wracked destinations

you need a more positive, can do attitude. i guess you're not a natural problem solver, but here goes; get a direct flight, when you arrive in your destination take all reasonable precautions, quarantine in a hotel it's not difficult. i have friends in many european countries as well as aus and the us and i don't know anyone who has contracted the virus. if you take precautions the chance of being infected is very small.

13 hours ago, Adelphi said:

Utterly ridiculous how they have posed for this photograph.  Although it says everything about how they view foreigners who are almost never violent even if they have overstayed.  They really are determined to make it clear that foreigners are the enemy.  Welcome to Amazing Thailand.  Over 30 years ago we used to refer to it as the land of smiles - what a joke that is now.

I've put the photo on Facebook. Just helping immigration with their ready to go riot police pass on their message....

• Like 1

Well, I did what I have been told to do and applied for and received a 60-day extension on my marriage visa. I applied at Kalasin and it was pretty quiet. Bangkok has its thousands of Japanese, but Kalasin is mostly Lao. Only three or four of us farangs there. A very pleasant and quite attractive girl acted as the receptionist, and I was in and out within an hour or so.

I asked about my visa expiring in November, and she told me that, effectively, the visa is no longer valid anyway with the amnesty that has been in place and now the extension given. That makes sense, but I don't think that has been mentioned in any forum I've read. She also worked out the date I need to deposit 400,000 by for what is bound to be an inevitable year extension come the tail end of November (it's the 25th, two days from now).

She told me, with a straight face, that I had the option of going to Laos, spending 15 days in quarantine there, and then returning for 14 days quarantine in Thailand. I think I love her. At least she covered all the options for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I think some people dont meet the requirements to get one, flights are still being cancelled often enough to cause some worry, and people are apprehensive about jumping on long-haul, multi-stop flights to Covid-wracked destinations. There was also some hope that the government may extend amnesty. For me, although born in the UK, left when I was 6 years old so going back there is not really viable option for me. I've been trying to find flats to rent in southern Spain (where I was before Thailand) but the responses I'm getting back from landlords and agents is that, although happy to rent to me, they wont let me move in until I've stayed in a hotel for 10 days to 2 weeks and have a test. I'm just hoping the visa I've applied for gets approved. The first one I applied for turned out to be a visa agent scam. 

Spain's infection rates are the highest in Europe at the moment. That translates in wearing a mask on the street in certain cities.

It also translates in difficulty of travel to most of Europe from Spain without avoiding quarantine.

If I was you, I would start with Portugal. Lisbon maybe, then go down south to the beach area Faro...Lagos and wait until the situation in Spain becomes a bit better.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ganesh108 said:

But how about creating a good image to 'lure' (as they always say) prospective tourists to Thailand? They could make a huge, positive PR campaign for Thailand out of letting people stay - but they'd need an active, living brain to understand that.

And not pose with riot police warning harmless foreigners to leave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

I've yet to hear a logical argument that proves otherwise...

I've yet to hear of a logical argument for forcing people who were lured to Thailand by the lies of TAT, who are no harm to anyone, who are spending money and supporting Thai businesses daily in shops, hotels/boarding houses, eating in restaurants and cafes being told to get out of the country. Getting the right visa would be good - how about offering one for an unlimited stay and thank you for wanting to spend your money in our country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to complain about.....can stay on if necessary, if not, go home.....

This situation results from the minority using Covid as an excuse to overstay in The Kingdom. Those who are genuine will stay.

I understand it and if I had overstayed for no good reason I would be grateful to Thailand immigration and extremely happy to return to LOS.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Why are some complaining that the IO is telling people to make sure they have the correct visa.

The free visa period will cease .....    it's not rocket science  !!

Complaining? Is not the science. It's funny. Listening to the entertaining Bangkok Podcast recently, interviewing the female economist Jessica Vechbanyongratana, you'd think that country was highly progressive - American educated by the sounds of it, personality, humour, intelligence. Then, you see the picture of ISIS. If they had the same budget. 

Edited by Arthur Mullard

3 hours ago, fred110 said:

For me it has been LOS for 19 years and still is. It's easy to stay here if you have any common sense.

A lot of people sniff something for free and push the limits.... yes I feel for short term visitors that dont want to go home but...

3 hours ago, Ganesh108 said:

"The idea that because covid19 is less virulent in Thailand than in your home country is not a factor that should concern Immigration."

But how about creating a good image to 'lure' (as they always say) prospective tourists to Thailand? They could make a huge, positive PR campaign for Thailand out of letting people stay - but they'd need an active, living brain to understand that.

I guess they figure they dont want cheap charlies hanging at 7/11 and nowhere to stay...

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I wonder if countries around the world who have Thais on an amnesty will  

now treat them in the same way as Thailand is doing towards the foreigners stuck here in the Kingdom

Ha ha ..... most western countries treat the straight white male like hes at the bottom of the list (even in his home country)..... its a wonder they havnt come

up with a name for them besides "white trash"

What   a lame answer and reply   

Yes  all countries  have Visa  requirements 

But Like Thailand  ............NO way  mate  

Some visas  can  cost 2 Million  Baht  

Nothing in the world  like the  Visa   fines  and costs   in Thailand  

Sorry   you must be Thai  yes ?

Good Luck  Thailand 

Someone alluded to it in another post, but I am quite sure the photos, as captioned "Picture: Naew Na" , are stock photos from another event and used by the news source for their story,   The article refers to comments from a Thai Immigration information officer, Not any type of news conference or other formal meeting.   

14 hours ago, Adelphi said:

Utterly ridiculous how they have posed for this photograph.  Although it says everything about how they view foreigners who are almost never violent even if they have overstayed.  They really are determined to make it clear that foreigners are the enemy.  Welcome to Amazing Thailand.  Over 30 years ago we used to refer to it as the land of smiles - what a joke that is now.

If you're a "stranded" tourist, you have had 6 months of free stay, so what are you whining about? Come up with correct documents and you'll be ok. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've yet to hear of a logical argument for forcing people who were lured to Thailand by the lies of TAT, who are no harm to anyone, who are spending money and supporting Thai businesses daily in shops, hotels/boarding houses, eating in restaurants and cafes being told to get out of the country. Getting the right visa would be good - how about offering one for an unlimited stay and thank you for wanting to spend your money in our country.

maybe they are worried that if they implemented something like this they would destroy their long stay visa/extension system. i can't speak for others but i for one would immediately remove my 400K from the bank and next year would drop my extension and move to whatever the freebie visa would be. why bother with all those nasty financials and documents and tracking just hop on the unlimited thankyou visa - HAPPY DAYS!! - i'm guessing every other working, married, retired or elite visa holder would do exactly the same.

it certainly gets my vote ????????????

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ganesh108 said:

"The idea that because covid19 is less virulent in Thailand than in your home country is not a factor that should concern Immigration."

If I may be allowed to add to my own quote:

This is really a golden PR opportunity for Thailand. Imagine Thailand saying: Look, world, there are 150,000 foreigners in our country, they don't want to leave, because it's so safe and cozy here, we'll let them be our honored guests until 2021 (add month or date)'.

This would be an ad man's dream. The TAT could play on this to the hilt. But tell it to the stiffs in brown ...

• Like 1