Jump to content

2 Android Boxes, Different Speeds ? Why ?


Recommended Posts

Over a year ago I bought a X96 Max Android Box which performs fine.

Yesterday I bought a X88 Pro to use in the bedroom.

 

Both work on wi-fi 5 GHZ

Both are 4GB RAM

X96 is Android 8.1, X88 is Android 9

 

I set the X88 up alongside the X96 alongside the router to install update apps. I did a speedtest and the older X96 returns 150 KB, the newer X88 only around 50 KBS

 

Why ?  What else affects the speed so dramatically ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm... I'd say Ethernet was mentioned, and even compared, by the OP.   Not sure why there has to be so much arguing and spite in these threads. I mean, it's not like the OP has offered to bu

Um, that wouldn't be a router frequency, but instead a reference to the channel bandwidth ...with 40 being half of 80 so you'd be halving the potential top speed of your wireless network.   

Yea, I agree. I'd want to see if something was 'off' with the box by doing speedtests while both are connected up via Ethernet wired connections and see how the software/firmware/hardware combo perfor

To know that you need to know the specs of each android box. Could be the processor could be the memory. Who knows.

 

I got a fire TV and a nvidia shield tv android box. Guess what the more expensive one is faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of connection is this? Those speeds (assuming you mean kilobyte/s) seem suspiciously slow. Not enough to stream video in any kind of acceptable quality.

Edited by eisfeld
Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume you mean Mb/s ?

is the slower box maybe connecting to 2.4Ghz wifi, presuming both are running on your router.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

What kind of connection is this? Those speeds (assuming you mean kilobyte/s) seem suspiciously slow. Not enough to stream video in any kind of acceptable quality.

Never pays to assume, he could mean kilobits/s, big difference between bytes/s and bits/s. Internet speed normally quoted in Megabits/s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Never pays to assume, he could mean kilobits/s, big difference between bytes/s and bits/s. Internet speed normally quoted in Megabits/s.

If it's bits then it would be even worse and pretty unusable. It should be Megabits/s but you never know. Better to establish a correct baseline to look what's going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same on one of my cheap android boxes and changed the router frequency on 5ghz from 80mhz to 40mhz and that improved the wifi speed. But it may affect your other tv box. You could give it a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Throttling due to poor heat management will slow a processor down compared to an identically spec'ed box with better heat sinks. Not saying this is the case, just another reason why one might be slower than another.

 

Update the bios in case this problem has already been noted and fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speed is Mbps using Okla Speed Test app.

 

The old box (today 139 Mbps) streams live football and UK TV via HDprime perfectly. Not tried the new box yet as I only got it yesterday.

 

Both connected to 5 Ghz and only running one at a time at the moment whilst updating the X88.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both boxes have Quad Core A53 Cortex Gpu Mali 450.

 

The only real difference in spec I can see is the older one is 4 GB and DDR 4, whereas the newer one has 4 Gb but DDR3, would that really make so much difference in speed ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Both boxes have Quad Core A53 Cortex Gpu Mali 450.

 

The only real difference in spec I can see is the older one is 4 GB and DDR 4, whereas the newer one has 4 Gb but DDR3, would that really make so much difference in speed ?

 

13 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

 

No, it os not the ram speed.

 

It is something to do with the wifi card, the wifi antenna or how the wifi is configured in the firmware.

Edited by userabcd
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, userabcd said:

I had the same on one of my cheap android boxes and changed the router frequency on 5ghz from 80mhz to 40mhz and that improved the wifi speed. But it may affect your other tv box. You could give it a try.

Um, that wouldn't be a router frequency, but instead a reference to the channel bandwidth ...with 40 being half of 80 so you'd be halving the potential top speed of your wireless network. 

 

Doing it probably worked in your favor because the Router and Android box need expend fewer system resource and processor clock time to manage the smaller data stream. And, when it comes to these set top boxes, whatever works means it works.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, userabcd said:

 

No it is not the ram speed.

 

It is something to do with the wifi card, the wifi antenna or how the wifi is configured in the firmware.

Is that a wifi card and antenna in the android box itself ?

 

This is the hardware spec from the website:

Chipset RK3318 Quad Core 64 bit Cortex A53

GPU Penta Core Mali 450

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, userabcd said:

No, it os not the ram speed.

 

It is something to do with the wifi card, the wifi antenna or how the wifi is configured in the firmware.

Yea, I agree. I'd want to see if something was 'off' with the box by doing speedtests while both are connected up via Ethernet wired connections and see how the software/firmware/hardware combo performed.

 

Probably a weird driver quirk.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...