Phuket Immigration handing out ‘conditional’ 14 day visas, pending investigations

webfact

I booked a ticket last week to snag one before prices went up.

They made it clear that people had to sort out visas before the end of the amnesty. When they gave out the amnesty they should have said people who overstayed 26th, without a visa, would face fines and jail. That would have made it more clear. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andre47 said:

Many weeks all of us know that the visa amnesty is ending now. Some people still don't understand. They are thinking they can make their own rules or they judge about the Thai immigration rules. We are guests here and we have to follow their rules.

It is not helpful or polite if you call them stupid or say that they cannot read. This is very rude and nonsense. I can understand if the Thai immigration don't want people like you here in their country.

What are you talking about? Why would they not want me? As I wrote, I have never had a problem with immigration or police in Thailand. Never told them anything bad, because I have not had any reason for that. After living almost 23 years in Thailand I have both heard, read and seen many different offices dealing with rules and regulations in different ways. This is an open forum, which you seem to forget, and it´s a place where we share our opinion and discuss different matters.

Why don´t you go back to my previous post that you replied on instead, and explain my questions for me.? You seem to know everything.

21 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

This is an open forum, which you seem to forget, and it´s a place where we share our opinion and discuss different matters.

Why don´t you go back to my previous post that you replied on instead, and explain my questions for me.? You seem to know everything.

You wrote that "they are far to stupid to understand and read their own language"...

Is this a your style to discuss different matters? If foreigners in my country are talking like you I want them to leave. Your behavior is very poor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, andre47 said:

You wrote that "they are far to stupid to understand and read their own language"...

Is this a your style to discuss different matters? If foreigners in my country are talking like you I want them to leave. Your behavior is very poor.

No, I did not say they were. That was in a question to you, what you believe. Actually it was followed by another alternativ question for you.

Learn to read and understand, and if you want to quote something, take full sentence and stop twisting the meaning of the posts you are quoting.

It´s not any poor behaviour from me, I gave you to option on what you might think. It´s only your understanding of what you read that lacks.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He had a letter from the US Embassy explaining that he would be unable to return to the US at this stage due to lack of flights and the current Covid-19 situation in the US.

Come on ! 

Complaining about Immigration and he himself is cheating.

... I am more than astonished, the US Embassy is issuing such letters.

Just go on Google flights and you will realize, there are a lot of flight options to return to the USA.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hansgruber said:

This is what you get for leaving it so late and not preparing. They have to do something to cope with the large volume of people a few days before a deadline. 

I got all my paperwork sorted on September 1st. The place was empty and in and out in 25-30 mins. 

Make doubles of everything. Then next time you have everything ready. 

Exactly !

Seems, a lot of people were gambling ... expecting, they would extend the amnesty again.

But they forgot: when gambling, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

And now, they are complaining, they didn’t win ????

... by the way:  You can fly back to nearly every country, maybe with some stops, but you can. Maybe a little bit uncomfortable you might have to do a PCR test and go into quarantine upon arrival - but the situation today is not comparable to April.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

Exactly !

Seems, a lot of people were gambling ... expecting, they would extend the amnesty again.

But they forgot: when gambling, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

And now, they are complaining, they didn’t win ????

... by the way:  You can fly back to nearly every country, maybe with some stops, but you can. Maybe a little bit uncomfortable you might have to do a PCR test and go into quarantine upon arrival - but the situation today is not comparable to April.

It pains me to see the amount of people totally unprepared. That's the reason its mayhem down there. Why on Earth do people subject themselves to the photocopy lady. She is slow and the lines are long. 

Get your copies sorted before you arrive. All the information and forms are available online to download. 

Get a place in the line with QueQ app and it's simple. They can't make it any easier for you. 

But I think you're right, people were banking on more amnesty and failed. 

• Like 1

This situation is unprecedented at Thai Imigration but my comment is that ANY extension given should start from the 28th Sept 

but as usual the Immigration Offices are not all on the same page & the airlines are not helping get these stranded folk outa here either

almost making it difficult & expensive

"This last week will be probably the most busy week ever" (or so)
What a surprise! Nobody did see this coming? Really?
An expired Non-B, now on amnesty. Sorry mate your status isn't different from the status of a tourist on amnesty.
So there wasn't enough time since April to find a solution until now? Congratulations !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

On Monday Phuket Immigration was only giving 14 day ‘conditional’ VISA extensions from the date of application, not from September 26. They announced this was to allow time to “investigate and verify” the need for the extension.

So basically we paid 1900 baht for a 14 day extension.

Clearly what happened is that they received a 14-day "under consideration" stamp, like every other person who has applied for a "Covid extension", and (despite the absurd claim that "investigations" will be conducted) they will receive the rest of the 30 data when they return on the appointed day. I can understand why the applicants failed to grasp this, but I don't know why The Thaiger didn't explain it in the article rather than helping to stir up trouble.

• Like 1

Prime example that " Government can't run anything " Thailand immigration in this case. What is there to investigate what you want to see the stains on their underwear by delaying. 

You need the money who cares why they still want to stay it isn't for the beaches most likely they feel safe here so appreciate it. It has been free so far now charge 1900 a pop and let those who want to stay spend the baht you need whether they are here illegal or not stop this nonsense wonder why the youth are getting restless? ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fromas said:

Rules evolving.

Quite true. When I got my under consideration stamp from MTT, I asked what to do about my next covid extension after I get my valid to stay stamp on Oct. 21. The officer told me, we don't know yet. Wait for an announcement. The government is doing the whole thing by the seat of their pants.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, andre47 said:

They always treated me polite and fair. Perhaps you should check your behavior?

What goes around, comes around.

I have always behaved politely and respectfully when dealing with immigration officers, as I do when dealing with anyone I encounter in customer service or at any time. I agree what goes around comes around, treat others as you wish to be treated. My experience in this country has always been positive with the exception of some rude, loud, obnoxious and self entitled falang behaving badly. I also remember visiting one of many ATM machines in the basement level (close to food outlets and photocopy service and photo taking service) and getting the baht I needed. Good luck to those who still need to obtain a visa, keep calm and cool, every problem seems to find a solution here.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CLW said:

What did someone expect? No preparation of the authorities and each officer or immigration branch has its own made up rules.

Now, 6 years I go to CW Immigration and yet they haven't evolved the medieval queuing system to an online appointment system like most of the embassies in Thailand.

Right. What would they expect? They had about 6 months to either sort out their permit to stay here, or find a way to go back home or any other place that would accept them. However, with all the warnings, they have decided to wait till the very last moment to do something about it. 

So many people putting it off to the last minute causing immigration officers to be overwhelmed with work, some in terrible conditions (as the car park with not even fans was described) and they still expect those officers to be all smiling and welcoming. Next we'll hear complaints that coffee/ tea wasn't served, nor a complimentary foot massage

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hansgruber said:

It pains me to see the amount of people totally unprepared. That's the reason its mayhem down there. Why on Earth do people subject themselves to the photocopy lady. She is slow and the lines are long. 

Get your copies sorted before you arrive. All the information and forms are available online to download. 

Get a place in the line with QueQ app and it's simple. They can't make it any easier for you. 

But I think you're right, people were banking on more amnesty and failed. 

For some reason I couldn't get the app to work when  I tried to input the day and the time.  What's the secret?  It took the phone number just fine, but nothing else and I couldn't proceed to make a booking.  This was last week.