Has anyone else forgotten the beauty of relaxing in Thailand?

Thailand Explore

Screenshot_2020-09-23 maxresdefault jpg (ภาพ WEBP, 1280 × 720 พิกเซล) - สัดส่วน (90%).png

Now I am either going to come across like an odd-ball or for a few of you I may just hit a chord, and i am going to make a huge assumption by suggesting the two camps can be split by virtue of your working status here in Thailand. In fact I reckon you can also split by family status too.

There may be some clever ones though that can relax irrespective of their life status

I am a working, family man expat in Thailand and in both my work and family time I never stop. Ever. Recently my wife and two kids flew to Russia for a holiday and left me home alone in Hua Hin, and in just a couple of days I made some startling learning’s. Well, they were certainly startling for me.

I never relax or have a time out. When I work I push it to the limit and as far as my ability will take me. If I am not working then more often or not I am thinking about work. How can I grow web traffic, lock in more subscribers, how do I best monetise all of my media and then there is the staffing side to ensure everyone is doing their bit. The list goes on. I am deeply competitive and know for my media to grow it needs momentum and it needs to continually evolve and be relevant. Any way park this, as this is not my motive for this blog. My motive was to share my recent experience in appreciating the value of relaxation. The word that works for me in parallel to relaxation is contentment – something I thought only existed by excelling in work and against other such aspirations one may have.

Is it possible to get the balance wrong?

I am so conditioned to working hard that perhaps I am forgetting what life is all about.

Man spends all his life climbing the ladder only to realise he has climbed the wrong ladder

Buddhist Monk Quote

Now I don’t want to not achieve in work and against my ambition. I still think it provides stimulating goals that keep your zest for life. It is in many ways all just a big game, but I do think many of us can forget the basics and that is pure relaxation, free of any draining thoughts is a good thing. A very good thing in fact.

As I said earlier, my family are in Russia on vacation and that has given me time and space I have not had in a long time. I love my family, this is not in question, but what I forgot about was giving myself my own space. Over the last few days, I have found the peace and quiet quite enchanting. I could feel my body unwind and relax.

It is Sunday morning and I was in the gym at 7 am and then went to Coffee Club cafe at 9 am for breakfast. Somehow I managed to spend an hour and a half there just completely chilled out. I never do that, it is always in and out and on to my next job.

To read the rest of this blog by Dan about Thailand visit https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/03/24/has-anyone-else-forgotten-the-beauty-of-relaxing-in-thailand/

I'm trying to relax but I had to buy a new string trimmer to cut the lawn, our annual MooBaan maintenance fee is due end of month, GF needed some help with car insurance, and oh yeah had to postpone my long planned guitar purchase due to all of above...sabai sabai...NOT

15 hours ago, tonray said:

I'm trying to relax but I had to buy a new string trimmer to cut the lawn, our annual MooBaan maintenance fee is due end of month, GF needed some help with car insurance, and oh yeah had to postpone my long planned guitar purchase due to all of above...sabai sabai...NOT

I put off my Telecaster copy purchase for months but got it in the end at the beginning of Lockdown.

There are some really fantastic copies out there at incredibly cheap prices. Paid only 2700 baht for mine and wasn't expecting much. When it arrived it way exceeded my expectations. Great quality for the price if you don't mind doing your own set up.

As for strimmers. I bought an electric one a few years ago and it just will not die despite the hard work I put it to. I don't buy the manufactures refils any more as too expensive. You can buy a strimmer spool a lot bigger for around 30 baht you like any thickness you like. I use very thick for weedy areas and thin for the lawn.

Edited by trucking
  • Like 1

These are life choices. We choose whether or not we live to work, or work to live. Many spend their entire days busy nonstop, with working, eating, watching TV, sleeping, and not much else. If that is enough for you, go for it. Some of us choose to have some fulfillment in our lives.

For some, slowing down, or relaxing is too scary a prospect. When you slow down, you have to face yourself, and your inner demons. That is too scary for many.

“You don’t have to make yourself miserable to be successful. It’s natural to look back and mythologize the long nights and manic moments of genius, but success isn’t about working hard, it’s about working smart.” ―Andrew Wilkinson, founder of MetaLab

“Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them — work, family, health, friends and spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls — family, health, friends, and spirit — are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.” ―Brian Dyson, former vice chairman and COO of Coca-Cola

Too much work and too much energy kill a man just as effectively as too much assorted vice or too much drink. Rudyard Kipling

I drink too much, I smoke too much, I take pills too much, I work too much, I girl around too much, I everything too much. Bob Fosse

Edited by spidermike007