Trapped Snake

Morch

The Mrs. discovered a snake on the footpath around the house (I do need to clear some of the accumulated junk). Smallish, about 30 cm, bright green, pointy head, and a thin brown tail end looking like a barb. Don't know it it's a young one, or if it just shed it's skin, but looks  kinda tender. Can't post a pic as he was promptly trapped under an upturned bucket.

The Mrs. being a Buddhist is like oh-don't-kill-it, and then switches to get-rid-of-it. I didn't get the Thai name she used for it, something like green snake with sting tail or something.

So first, is this one dangerous (to people/dogs)? Second, I could probably shoo it away to the neighboring plot, which is uncut grass. Not sure if it will stay away, though.

Yeah they're pretty venomous (if it is a viper). Snakes are shy though and rarely bite unless they feel cornered (or get trodden on). 

If it has a clear path to the grass just let it go there. Tip the bucket to the opposite side you want it to go. Use a broom or something so you can stay out of striking range. 

Gotta point out that roughly 85% of snake bites happen when people try to catch or kill snakes. Stay safe, whatever you decide to do.

If you're anywhere around the Sumrongthap area I'd be happy to come and relocate it for you. 

Edited by heist
  • Thanks 1

We're in central Thailand, less exotic in terms of snakes.

I think it could be released, driven away safely enough - broom and blast from the water hose ought to do it.

Not too worried about us, but the dog can be silly - sometimes ignoring them altogether, sometimes want to play.

Thanks for the advice and help.

• Like 1

I haven't meet any Thai person who don't want kill snake! Ok i live in isaan and snakes really common! 

I have kill many put when i first time meet cobra i run like Usain Bolt! That im not toutch! This time of year snake's and scorpions come close to people! Remember watch your shoes before put on!

4 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I haven't meet any Thai person who don't want kill snake! Ok i live in isaan and snakes really common! 

I have kill many put when i first time meet cobra i run like Usain Bolt! That im not toutch! This time of year snake's and scorpions come close to people! Remember watch your shoes before put on!

There are cobras  15 mèters from my house, in the rice fields , but we  don't interest them, they are looking for food, cobras are not agressive, just don't approch them and let them go 

for scorpions in shoes, here we have centipedes; one day,  I put a foot in my flip flop , there was a centipede inside, it escaped very quickly, I was lucky not to be bitten 

39 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

How about this Golden tree snake. Very common in Phuket.

gts.jpg

Nope, the one above is way darker, and the head got clear markings. Plus not 'sting' tail. I think it's the one posted above, will try to take a pic in a little while, when we release it. 

53 minutes ago, Aforek said:

There are cobras  15 mèters from my house, in the rice fields , but we  don't interest them, they are looking for food, cobras are not agressive, just don't approch them and let them go 

for scorpions in shoes, here we have centipedes; one day,  I put a foot in my flip flop , there was a centipede inside, it escaped very quickly, I was lucky not to be bitten 

There are occasionally Cobras around here. People usually let others know if they spot one inside or near a house. Unless it's egg laying time, or if you have small pets about, maybe less chances of them hanging around.

Last time I saw a scorpion was several years back when we were at the landfill step. Centipedes are common, though - rubber boots get a solid bang and shake before putting on. 

Didn't get any good pictures, found out we're a bit short of hands, and the window of opportunity was too short.

The snake turned out to be even smaller than the Mrs. initially thought, but very feisty nevertheless. Guess it's temper wasn't improved being kept under a bucket, or getting swept with a broom, but it was probably the hosing which really got it <deleted>. Eventually slunk to the bushes, hopefully will stay on the other side and further.

The Dog blessedly didn't pick up what's going on, and as for some reason she's weary of the hose, didn't stick around for the last part.

Thanks again for advice, much appreciated.

• Like 2