Laptop booting stuck on BIOS setup

jayceenik

i have a recent (March 2020) 15.6" BINAI laptop (13k THB) ordered from China.

Beautiful screen but no guarantee.

It just crashed watching YouTube and on reboot wouldn't go past the BIOS setup page,

Internet search suggest try taking batteries out for 15' and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

No repair shop in my village so I'll have to take it to Ubon sometime later.

Anybody has had such a problem before?

4 hours ago, Oldie said:
5 hours ago, jayceenik said:

It just crashed watching YouTube and on reboot wouldn't go past the BIOS setup page

Did you check if the BIOS settings are correct? 

The OP probably means won't go past POST (Power On Self Test) where the boot options and hardware stats are listed prior to booting the OS

18 hours ago, RichCor said:

As Oldie suggested, have you checked (or reset) the current UEFI/BIOS Boot Settings yet?

This is beyond me. I'll have a computer repair shop in Ubon check what can be done.

Internet said that taking the laptop battery and the BIOS battery out for 15' could reset the settings I think you're mentioning.

Worth a try.

I took the back cover off to see if at least I could take the laptop battery out for a time but it didn't look that simple and I left it at that.

The BIOS page that comes on immediately at switch on is alive and I did click every setting that could be acted on but no Windows reboots.

I'd hate to lose that laptop because of its beautiful screen colors and wide angle view.

It is perfect for what I bought it for : Watching YouTube outside at night.

Anyway, thanks to all for the answers. ????

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, jayceenik said:

This is beyond me. I'll have a computer repair shop in Ubon check what can be done.

Internet said that taking the laptop battery and the BIOS battery out for 15' could reset the settings I think you're mentioning.

Worth a try.

I took the back cover off to see if at least I could take the laptop battery out for a time but it didn't look that simple and I left it at that.

The BIOS page that comes on immediately at switch on is alive and I did click every setting that could be acted on but no Windows reboots.

I'd hate to lose that laptop because of its beautiful screen colors and wide angle view.

It is perfect for what I bought it for : Watching YouTube outside at night.

Anyway, thanks to all for the answers. ????

Check the English manual that comes with the laptop for instruction of how to boot into the BIOS setup. You can look within to see if the SSD is being recognised. If not, it's a simple M.2 2280 SSD replacement. Have no idea if SATA or PCIe.

English manual should also have some kind of contact for support for the laptop. If not, try: [email protected]

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Check the English manual that comes with the laptop for instruction of how to boot into the BIOS setup. You can look within to see if the SSD is being recognised. If not, it's a simple M.2 2280 SSD replacement. Have no idea if SATA or PCIe.

English manual should also have some kind of contact for support for the laptop. If not, try: [email protected]

No manual.

No mention of SSD in the BIOS pages setup.

I'll drop it off at our trusted Ubon computer repair shop.

• Like 1

Solved.  The SSD. had gone bad.

The wife got a friend's husband who once worked IT at the local village hospital to check my laptop and he quickly found out that the SSD is kaput and needs to be replaced.

Cost 2000b. Not worth it for me as I fear more problems later with that laptop.

This laptop is new from March and is used only 4 hours a night!

I've just ordered a BMAX X15 with a 15.6'' display from the store at Lazada. Price 10000b.

At least here I'll have a local one-year warranty if things go wrong!

The wife will sell the Binai laptop to whoever wants to pay to fix it.

Thanks to all for the answers. ????

19 hours ago, jayceenik said:

Solved.  The SSD. had gone bad.

The wife got a friend's husband who once worked IT at the local village hospital to check my laptop and he quickly found out that the SSD is kaput and needs to be replaced.

Cost 2000b. Not worth it for me as I fear more problems later with that laptop.

This laptop is new from March and is used only 4 hours a night!

I've just ordered a BMAX X15 with a 15.6'' display from the store at Lazada. Price 10000b.

At least here I'll have a local one-year warranty if things go wrong!

The wife will sell the Binai laptop to whoever wants to pay to fix it.

Thanks to all for the answers. ????

SSD gone bad ? It does happen , but not very often , especially when the SSD is not old yet .

You can find an SSD now at a very good price , depends on the size ...

May be it only needs formatting ?

If you can take it out , connect it to a PC and check if it appears ... if so , check the filesystem .

If you can do that , the SSD is not broken .

Once in the BIOS , do you have the option to reinitialize your settings ?

Edited by nobodysfriend

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

SSD gone bad ? It does happen , but not very often , especially when the SSD is not old yet .

You can find an SSD now at a very good price , depends on the size ...

May be it only needs formatting ?

If you can take it out , connect it to a PC and check if it appears ... if so , check the filesystem .

If you can do that , the SSD is not broken .

Once in the BIOS , do you have the option to reinitialize your settings ?

SSDs die often if they are cheap chinese <deleted>, and judging by the laptop brand I bet it was not a Samsung, lol.

A common recommendation is do not buy SSD with "king" in it's name, like: Kingmax, Kingspec, Kingdian, (Kingston ???? ), and so on. Or do not buy chinese <deleted> at all regardless of its name.

Have you tried system restore?? As its powering up press F2 continuously then select open in Safe Mode ....your PC will be operating but without any programs operating in the back ground. Type System Restore in the search field then select a date you know the PC was operating at. The PC will probably select a date for you. This may help and its free.

53 minutes ago, barmatt said:

Have you tried system restore?? As its powering up press F2 continuously then select open in Safe Mode ....your PC will be operating but without any programs operating in the back ground. Type System Restore in the search field then select a date you know the PC was operating at. The PC will probably select a date for you. This may help and its free.

Seriously?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You can also change to a normal HD, forget about the SSD.

For the same price you have more storage and they are very reliable. 

You can have a 1 Tb for even less the price of a SSD.

OK there must be space for it, but guess there is.

Why would you make such a nonsensical suggestion? Please explain why they should "forget about an SSD"? Do you imagine they like to wait minutes for their device to be ready?

600 to 700 baht for an 120/128 GB possibly PCIe/NVMe SSD that is MUCH FASTER that a 1 TB HDD costing 1390 baht. Have you lost your mind?

To lower the performance in so they can have totally redundant storage space?

You think that his wife needs 1 TB of storage and is willing to put up with dismal performance for that reason? Ridiculous. HDD are good for storage, not operating system boot drives.

Edited by Eindhoven

On 9/11/2020 at 2:00 PM, Leaver said:

Looks like they have gone from 600 baht, to 450 baht, to 300 baht.  

The dolphins and seals must have accepted a pay cut.   ????

Well I've never met yet a Thai who has equipment to diagnose an SSD fault except for hitting it!

I wonder if your just impatient? What i mean is quite often once a fault has started and you restart your computer it someimes quite a time when you need to leave the computer switched on and wait.....it can take up to an hour or more for a computer to sort itself out.

A good example is on a major update it can take ages to restart. 

Still I guess you can throw it away!

1 hour ago, Paul DS said:

Well I've never met yet a Thai who has equipment to diagnose an SSD fault except for hitting it!

I wonder if your just impatient? What i mean is quite often once a fault has started and you restart your computer it someimes quite a time when you need to leave the computer switched on and wait.....it can take up to an hour or more for a computer to sort itself out.

That's unfair. It not appearing in the BIOS and taking it out and putting it in another device are just two ways without testing equipment. He may have also attempted chkdsk.

Try to not throw quite so many insults into one post. Bad mouthing Thais and suggesting the OP may be impatient and incompetent.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Also, if you bothered to look at the laptop, you might choose revise your opinion of there being a space for a 2.5" storage drive.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:30 PM, Eindhoven said:

Also, if you bothered to look at the laptop, you might choose revise your opinion of there being a space for a 2.5" storage drive.

No i didnt, i said there could be also the space for a 2.5 intern normal hd.

Maybe they have smart phones and take pictures, maybe they dont know yet they can store it on computer, maybe they find out later.

They need extern then?, maybe they dont care that much about computers. They already bought new computer.

Yes with SSD your OS starts faster, but we all did in former times with a normal HD and still.

I start my comp with HD in the morning and then make coffee. I come back and its done. No problem. Big deal. I dont see the speed problems.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed

On 9/28/2020 at 10:29 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

If one doesn't know if there is a space for a "2.5 intern normal hd" (2.5" SATA HDD), then it doesn't make sense to tell them OP to "forget about an SSD".....or did you design an M.2 form HDD?

Just amazing....

On 9/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, Paul DS said:

I am wondering why you have quoted a post I made in the Pattaya Forum, about a Dolphinarium, in the IT Forum about a computer having start up problems.  

Perhaps you were just too "impatient" to post.  ????  

On 9/27/2020 at 9:34 AM, Eindhoven said:

A bit odd that you scrap a laptop because of a failed storage drive and then go to buy exactly the same kind of Chinese tat with a three year old Celery processor.

Some people just don't get it.