Parking the bike on the car spot

ivenius

So in Thailand normally parkings are divided into car and motorbike spaces. Is it allowed to park a motorbike on a car spot though? If not, what are the fines? Do you have any experience with this?

It's usually not an issue, but I changed the condo last week and my new motorbike parking is a really small one that seems to be for scooters only - it takes me damn 10 or 15min to get my cbr500 out of there, if I manage to do it at all, and mostly not without hitting a few scooters on the way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivenius said:

Is it allowed to park a motorbike on a car spot though? If not, what are the fines? Do you have any experience with this?

Afaik public parking spots in Thailand are never just for one vehicle type, so you can park on any public parking spot and won't get a fine.

1 hour ago, ivenius said:

I changed the condo last week

This is private property, you will have to discuss this with the condo management.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It would be wonderfull if condos had assigned parking based on your unit, at least one spot.

Most condos have just 60 or 70% parking spots, so that's obviously not possible.

In some condos, if you buy a "penthouse" unit, or at least a unit on the highest floor, you might get an exclusive parking spot, then you could of course park your bike there.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Most condos have just 60 or 70% parking spots, so that's obviously not possible.

In some condos, if you buy a "penthouse" unit, or at least a unit on the highest floor, you might get an exclusive parking spot, then you could of course park your bike there.

My car goes in that spot, but I can't put the bike in there or they blow a gasket and someone complains.  I commented to the juristic manager about that and he said he understood but in the condo by-laws a car spot even assigned is for a car only.  go figure....even when i park the bike in my stall with the car they bitch.  Grumpy ass thai people 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It would be wonderfull if condos had assigned parking based on your unit, at least one spot.

My last two condo’s did:

One Condo: One space per unit. We had to pay extra for a second space (for a second car) - but the actual space itself was not specified. There were a couple of bikes always parked in one of the spaces when the motorbike space was crowded.

Another Condo: One allocated space per unit (with the Unit Number written in the space) - people could park whatever they wanted in that space, some guys parked their Harleys, or sports bikes etc in their spot. 

Others, who had probably filled their allocated space with their car parked their bike in available space to the sides. 

In shopping malls etc I’ve seen the way scooter riders park up so close to other bikes it makes it difficult to get back on the bike or difficult to get a big bike out. 

I usually park outside the scooter area, the guards never seem to have an issue when its a big bike. 

It sounds like the people in your condo [ThailandRyan] are total tools... Parking an expensive Harley in a car spot instead of a congested scooter parking makes perfect sense - I’d be pushing that issue all the way.

Sometimes the juristic committee in Condos act like power crazed nazi’s - Some of the rules make sense, some are just idiotic.

In one condo we lived they stopped my son (2 yrs old at the time) playing with a small ball in the kids play area. No ball games allowed !! obviously a rule for older kids. So I went back down with my son and told security to call the police if they don’t like it !!! 

Same Condo, I was told I couldn’t have a beer by the pool. I get it, they don’t want people having parties and getting drunk by the pool, but this was just one beer at about 6pm. Next time I just took a ‘Gin and Tonic’ in drinks bottle. 

Within reason - Park where you want. If they complain what can they do exactly? 

Obviously a scooter should be parked in scooter parking, but its perfectly reasonable to park a larger bike in a car spot if the car parking area is not full. If the car parking area is always full and a motorcycle is taking the space a car needs, then look for somewhere else convenient to park.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

I think if everyone who had a bike parked in a car spot it would be chaos, nowhere for the cars to park.

They do get a bit anal about it though. I got my big bike out around 11pm one time and left it in the same spot that my car was parked (directly behind it - not affecting another spot) so I could make a quick exit at 5am the next morning without rocking the bike back and forth 100 times to get it out of the bike park while wearing full leathers. They still objected even though I was only blocking in my own car. Irritating.

My current place has a nice big undercover bike area with plenty of space so it's not an issue.  

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My car goes in that spot, but I can't put the bike in there or they blow a gasket and someone complains.  I commented to the juristic manager about that and he said he understood but in the condo by-laws a car spot even assigned is for a car only.  go figure....even when i park the bike in my stall with the car they bitch.  Grumpy ass thai people 

I think if you own a bike and a car, but decide to park the bike in the exclusive spot, their problem is that you take up another non-exclusive car parking spot. When parking both vehicles in this spot, no idea what their actual problem could be.

I wonder what they would do if you didn't have a car, but just a bike. Would they still not allow you to park the bike there, and the spot would just stay empty?

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same Condo, I was told I couldn’t have a beer by the pool. I get it, they don’t want people having parties and getting drunk by the pool, but this was just one beer at about 6pm.

For sure they don't want parties, but in your case it is probably about having a glass bottle at the pool, which might break. Try taking a beer in a can and see if they still complain ????

Edited by jackdd

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I wonder what they would do if you didn't have a car, but just a bike. Would they still not allow you to park the bike there, and the spot would just stay empty?

The spot would have to stay empty unfortunately as the rules do not allow a Motorcycle, scooter or such parked outside of the one small scooter area.  It is actually nuts.  Those of us that have the bigger bikes just park at the outside of the scooter parking Area which is directly below the camera that watches that side of the Garage, and no one says anything about that.  Have not tried to cover the bike and lock the cover and such yet as it is well inside the parking garage which is 11 floors, but if I was to be gone for awhile you bet I would.  Wondered if I could get it into the lift and up to the top floor and park it in my unit...lol.  I thought it might be an Idea since the guy on the other side of the lifts, who has the other penthouse, has 3 bicycles, potted plants and all of his stuff stored on his hallway side, just outside of his entry doors, I would hate to see what his 280 sqm unit looks like inside, but once the fire doors close separating the lifts from his units and mine, I do not see his stuff, and it does not bother me at all.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe there's a spot in the condo's car parking area that a big bike can park without causing a problem to others, that's what my son did at his condo in Bkk. 

If there were enough spots I would think so as well, but unfortunately I live in a condo where there are to many busy bodies who fail to mind there own business sometimes.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If there were enough spots I would think so as well, but unfortunately I live in a condo where there are to many busy bodies who fail to mind there own business sometimes.

My son asked permission from condo management and other tenants are intelligent enough to understand the problem parking a big bike like a R1. 

• Like 1

Funny when some of the folks live in some of the smaller SqM condos, and yet manage to have 3 Mercedes between the wife, husband and son, yet complain when they have to park 10 floors up, even though the units do not start until the 14th floor, so they are actually closer to the lifts and there rooms.  It must be driving up and down that gets them dizzy...lol, and of course they have high dollar cars which are double the price you can buy one for in the states, and probably why they bought a cheaper condo so they could live the life.   

• Like 1

I'm surprised that there are condos where at least one dedicated parking space isn't assigned to a unit.  I have two dedicated parking spaces at my condo, and annually give the registration numbers of our two cars and my bike when renewing the car park entry passes.  We can park any combination of two of them in the spots with no problem from security or the juristic committee. No doubt I could get all three into the two spaces without inconveniencing anyone else, but whenever I take the car or the bike to Bangkok the other is always left upcountry.

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Funny when some of the folks live in some of the smaller SqM condos, and yet manage to have 3 Mercedes between the wife, husband and son, yet complain when they have to park 10 floors up, even though the units do not start until the 14th floor, so they are actually closer to the lifts and there rooms.  It must be driving up and down that gets them dizzy...lol, and of course they have high dollar cars which are double the price you can buy one for in the states, and probably why they bought a cheaper condo so they could live the life.   

Sounds like a move somewhere else would be better, personally I only say that because I couldn't live in a condo or a city. ????

• Thanks 1

When living in a condo we had one car, one pcx and two big bikes. Talked to the management, and got it sorted it out. Better to ask and make a deal before you <deleted> everyone off. Management will useally do nothing before one or more start complaining. So make sure the security and the management know before they get told by angry neighbours. 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have a ‘big bike’ which I think is sufficient reason to justify not parking in congested ‘scooter parking areas'

The issue also depends how congested parking spots are for cars. 

Park where you want and see if anyone complains. 

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

.....I find it very frustrating when a single bike takes up a whole car space..... especially when there are spaces available in the bike area,

How do you know there was space in bike area at time of bike being parked in car spot?

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most condos have far less parking spaces,than the number of units in the building..

My building is very strict on parking.owners can obtain a pass,but only one space per unit..visitors and those without pass,have to park on the road.

Motor bike parking,doesnt have painted lines for each bike,so a larger bike is no problem..

22 hours ago, robblok said:

take it up with your condo management. I mean this is public property its not as if the police will do anything. Its the condo management that would take action. Their rules are the rules you have to obey.

It's not public property if the parking area belongs to the condominium.

Typically, a bike is carrying one or two people. Same with most cars and trucks. So, from a standpoint of fairness, a bike should be able to use a car space, as long as there is not convenient bike parking available. I am all for that. Defiance is required on many occasions. Many times it is not about the rule of law, and rules and regulations, as much as fairness and justice. 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Typically, a bike is carrying one or two people. Same with most cars and trucks. So, from a standpoint of fairness, a bike should be able to use a car space, as long as there is not convenient bike parking available. I am all for that. Defiance is required on many occasions. Many times it is not about the rule of law, and rules and regulations, as much as fairness and justice

In an ideal world yes

Im for no smoking on balconies? Who else? ????